It is worth upgrading (based on my specs) from a Ryzen 1700 to 3700x or should I wait for prices to go down or Ryzen 6th gen comes out?

EClinus1999

Budget (including currency): not yet defined.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Far Cry 6, GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, MS Flight Sim 2020, RE8

Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Android Studio, VirtualMachine, Livestream

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am open for any advice what should I upgrade next especially for CPU, GPU, and RAM. My original plan is to upgrade sometime at late 2022 or early 2023.

As of now,  I have been thinking to upgrade my computer because I'm worried that based on what's happening with the Windows 11 craze lately. I did my research and turns out to be that my current

PC setup is not compatible with Win11. And it is all because of my CPU that's holding me back. Yet, I'm still overwhelmed that parts are still expensive atm. I'm also worried that I'll be forced to sell my old CPU at a quite

low price than I thought, which it sucks but that's just how things depreciate overtime I guess. 

What do you think should I wait or make a move on upgrading now? Thank you in advance.

CURRENT SPECS:

• CPU -- AMD Ryzen 7 1700
  • Motherboard -- Gigabyte GA-B450 Aorus Pro WiFi (BIOS: 60h - 04/FEB/2021, ryzen 5000 series ready!)
  • RAM -- G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz 2x8gb DDR4 Black HS, CL16 1.35v, pn: F4 3000C16D
  • GPU -- AMD RX580 8gb 256-Bit GDDR5 Asus Strix OC Edition 3 FAN Full RGB (Asus Aura)
  • PSU -- Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W 80+ Bronze FULLY MODULAR
  • MONITOR -- Asus ROG Swift XG27V VA Panel 27" 1080p Panel FREESYNC 144hz Curved Screen
  • Cooling -- NZXT Kraken Z63

*ADD: I can only play at 1080p resolution as that is the max. resolution that my monitor can support. 

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, EClinus1999 said:

Budget (including currency): not yet defined.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Far Cry 6, GTA 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, MS Flight Sim 2020, RE8

Vegas Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Android Studio, VirtualMachine, Livestream

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am open for any advice what should I upgrade next especially for CPU, GPU, and RAM. My original plan is to upgrade sometime at late 2022 or early 2023.

As of now,  I have been thinking to upgrade my computer because I'm worried that based on what's happening with the Windows 11 craze lately. I did my research and turns out to be that my current

PC setup is not compatible with Win11. And it is all because of my CPU that's holding me back. Yet, I'm still overwhelmed that parts are still expensive atm. I'm also worried that I'll be forced to sell my old CPU at a quite

low price than I thought, which it sucks but that's just how things depreciate overtime I guess. 

What do you think should I wait or make a move on upgrading now? Thank you in advance.

CURRENT SPECS:

• CPU -- AMD Ryzen 7 1700
  • Motherboard -- Gigabyte GA-B450 Aorus Pro WiFi (BIOS: 60h - 04/FEB/2021, ryzen 5000 series ready!)
  • RAM -- G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz 2x8gb DDR4 Black HS, CL16 1.35v, pn: F4 3000C16D
  • GPU -- AMD RX580 8gb 256-Bit GDDR5 Asus Strix OC Edition 3 FAN Full RGB (Asus Aura)
  • PSU -- Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W 80+ Bronze FULLY MODULAR
  • MONITOR -- Asus ROG Swift XG27V VA Panel 27" 1080p Panel FREESYNC 144hz Curved Screen
  • Cooling -- NZXT Kraken Z63

I'd like to turn your attention to what you "need / want" vs. what the industry is suggesting you need. 

What is your current configuration not doing that you'd want it to do? 

It is not necessary in the slightest to upgrade to windows 11 in any near future. Many people infact won't be upgrading for quite a while, instead allowing windows 11 to bake and prove it's reliability. 

Furthermore, your board can support Zen 3. If you need /want and upgrade. A 5600x or 5800x would do you nicely for a couple years. 

Agreed on upgrading to at least a 5600X. Your cpu cooler will be more than enough for a 5800X though too.

Maybe upgrade your storage, depending on what you have now. I know I've been seeing more people with full SSD builds, and that's not difficult to do. https://ph.pcpartpicker.com/list/tpTMj2

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

I wouldn't worry about Windows 11. It's still many years out as being a requirement, and it's better to let it mature instead of jumping in right away. Plus you won't really gain anything from it. Your CPU isn't really worth much either, and I don't see it losing much of it's value because of an OS. 6th gen Ryzen will require a new motherboard and RAM, and since you're running a lower end GPU, you'd be better off saving for an entire new build anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't worry about Windows 11. It's still many years out as being a requirement, and it's better to let it mature instead of jumping in right away. Plus you won't really gain anything from it. Your CPU isn't really worth much either, and I don't see it losing much of it's value because of an OS. 6th gen Ryzen will require a new motherboard and RAM, and since you're running a lower end GPU, you'd be better off saving for an entire new build anyway.

While I agree about win11, I don't about the op's current rig. A zen3 then a GPU down the road would be a great upgrade path for a couple years.

Couple of things to consider if you want to upgrade. The 3700X is a much better CPU than the 1700. One thing to note is frame rate wise I'm not sure if there is a big change, but I do know that the overall experience will be snappier and smoother. The first gen was kinda of an experiment and they really did refine the CPU in future generations, so I do think you would notice the difference. I generally wouldn't recommend to do side grades (ie going from 8 cores to 6 cores as some suggested). If you're looking into zen3, I would consider 5800X or 5900X so it's an actual upgrade.

I think a GPU upgrade would make a more significance in gaming. Something like the 3060 or 6600xt or up would be a worthwhile upgrade for gaming.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Jonathan Lee said:

Couple of things to consider if you want to upgrade. The 3700X is a much better CPU than the 1700. One thing to note is frame rate wise I'm not sure if there is a big change, but I do know that the overall experience will be snappier and smoother. The first gen was kinda of an experiment and they really did refine the CPU in future generations, so I do think you would notice the difference. I generally wouldn't recommend to do side grades (ie going from 8 cores to 6 cores as some suggested). If you're looking into zen3, I would consider 5800X or 5900X so it's an actual upgrade.

I think a GPU upgrade would make a more significance in gaming. Something like the 3060 or 6600xt or up would be a worthwhile upgrade for gaming.

I'm afraid I'll have to wait till the prices go down. GPUs are still expensive, maybe I wait until next year, see when a new generation of GPUs and when ryzen 6th gen releases. Thats the time I might consider upgrading towards from my current Ryzen 1700 to at least Ryzen 5 5600x.

I would consider upgrading a better GPU. One of my goals is to also utilize more my monitor (144hz). I wanna try ray-tracing as well. Any thoughts? At some games, I am not quite satisfied with the ave. FPS, I'm starting to feel that my GPU is aging. That's just my thought.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Jonathan Lee said:

Yes. I would consider a GPU upgrade for me to utilize my 144hz monitor more. Also, one of my goals is to try ray-tracing.

On 9/6/2021 at 2:57 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just overclock your 1700 and your gpu then wait for prices to fall or next gen

I agree. I would consider waiting for the next gen to come out sometime at early-mid 2022. When the time comes, I'll go ahead and upgrade towards to 5th gen ryzen. Thank you.

I'm still quite undecided which GPU should I get dou.