Cheapo 240mm cpu custom loop

No, G1/4 and 3/8 are different sizes. One is 0.25" major diameter, one is 0.375".

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

6 hours ago, HM-2 said:

No, G1/4 and 3/8 are different sizes. One is 0.25" major diameter, one is 0.375".

Which one is more common in a waterloop?

10 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Which one is more common in a waterloop?

G1/4

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

Feel like the base question is more "why are you wasting your time"?  Buy the cheapest modern CPU and it'll outperform an E8400 with the most exotic cooling on it.  Any money you're spending here is money being wasted.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Feel like the base question is more "why are you wasting your time"?  Buy the cheapest modern CPU and it'll outperform an E8400 with the most exotic cooling on it.  Any money you're spending here is money being wasted.

Bruh

Its a watercooling loop for a testbench ffs, and no im not gonna get a newer system cause ill prob get a laptop anyways

The watercooling is for cpu ocing cause i wanna see how far i can push my chips, obv any lga 1156 or 1366 cpu will obliterate a c2q

I was more puzzled by the "don't want to spend any money on radiators or fittings, but have all the tools and expertise required to make my own custom blocks" stuff.

2 hours ago, HM-2 said:

I was more puzzled by the "don't want to spend any money on radiators or fittings, but have all the tools and expertise required to make my own custom blocks" stuff.

Yea i think ill just buy one of those cheapo chinese copper waterblocks (ones with microfins) if i decide to upgrade the block which is prob gonna be the 2nd thing ill replace in the loop

I thought that waterblocks are as simple as just soldering some metal together for a water tight seal and drilling 2 holes for the water

29 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I thought that waterblocks are as simple as just soldering some metal together for a water tight seal and drilling 2 holes for the water

If you did that, you might as well have gotten a hyper 212 and it will be safer, better performing, and perhaps still cheaper.

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

If you did that, you might as well have gotten a hyper 212 and it will be safer, better performing, and perhaps still cheaper.

Lmao i can get a themis evo for like 15$ or an ereboss for 30$, 212 is just overpriced garbage in my area at around 35$

Well ive already bought my cheapo 2$ block so might aswell complete what i started, and prob be the same price or slightly more than an ereboss

Heres a pic of the waterblock

Spoiler

IMG_20210908_213237.thumb.jpg.cdecbc63242620511873e36c998efcb9.jpg

Do i need a fitting for it or can i just put a small hose clamp on it and calll it a day

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Heres a pic of the waterblock

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20210908_213237.thumb.jpg.cdecbc63242620511873e36c998efcb9.jpg

Do i need a fitting for it or can i just put a small hose clamp on it and calll it a day

it has barbs, you do the latter.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

it has barbs, you do the latter.

Btw the inside looks pretty rough so i guess the block is sanded or something in the inside so i guess it wont perform like complete ass

Spoiler

IMG_20210908_215041.thumb.jpg.ddc83b96a95deae26be622ea625abf92.jpg

Heres the pump im thinking of buying

4$

Advertised flow of 800l/h

8w power consumpution (im gonna assume ~0.7a since its running on 12v)

Inlet/outlet od is 9mm and id is 6mm so just like the pump it prob uses 3/8 inch tubing

If you are wondering how im gonna power it ill prob just hook it up directly to a molex or use a buck boost converter incase i wanna make it run faster

22 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

That depends, got a good enough drill press and threading tools to accurately cut G1/4 ports in a chunk of aluminium that won't piss coolant everywhere?

3 hours ago, HM-2 said:

That depends, got a good enough drill press and threading tools to accurately cut G1/4 ports in a chunk of aluminium that won't piss coolant everywhere?

I dont even have anything near that

Heck when i bought an adapter for my cheapo chinese dremel it was too large so you know what i did?

I just grinded it with one of the grinding heads included with the dremel till it could actually fit, and it sorta works but vibrates like crazy

So if i dont got tools then ill just improvise

And i dont have threading tools, though if i can get some for cheap then why not just in case i need em

"I botched power tools in an unsafe way and it doesn't work properly but I'll improvise" probably won't fill anyone with confidence. 

1 hour ago, HM-2 said:

"I botched power tools in an unsafe way and it doesn't work properly but I'll improvise" probably won't fill anyone with confidence. 

Yep

Heck i even turned it on when i didnt secure the botched ass adapter + a grinding blade or whatever its called and it went flying

Luckily it only grazed my left arm a lil but yea i think if im gonna botch power tools i should get some proper protection so if something goes wrong i wont get hurt xD

Only issue being that just like my "improvisation" of power tools ill also improvise on protection aswell, well hopefully its gonna be as simple as just using a case sidepanel or something

On 9/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

So you only need g1/4 fittings for the entire loop?

Btw is g1/4 the same as 3/8 inch or is it a different size?

g1/4 is the threads not the id/od. some rads have g1/4 threads to use fittings other have barbs on them witch normally have a smaller id/od

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 9/8/2021 at 7:55 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Btw the inside looks pretty rough so i guess the block is sanded or something in the inside so i guess it wont perform like complete ass

Hide contents

IMG_20210908_215041.thumb.jpg.ddc83b96a95deae26be622ea625abf92.jpg

Heres the pump im thinking of buying

4$

Advertised flow of 800l/h

8w power consumpution (im gonna assume ~0.7a since its running on 12v)

Inlet/outlet od is 9mm and id is 6mm so just like the pump it prob uses 3/8 inch tubing

If you are wondering how im gonna power it ill prob just hook it up directly to a molex or use a buck boost converter incase i wanna make it run faster

the pump barbs are bigger then the water block...so you going to need to get creative... this is the problems going cheap.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

this is why matching the barbs makes build it way easier

lapping it

whats in side some of them

Edited by thrasher_565