Fan positions

NAVY 108

Hi, this is my first pc build. I ordered 4 fans for my pc, and my case already comes with one. I intend on using 3 for the front, and one on the back(they're rgb) but then I have the original case fan. My case has room for 2 120 mm fans on top, should i install the fan there? and if yes, should I put it towards the front or back of the case? OR will it negatively impact airflow? My case manual shows that airflow goes through the front and bottom and exits from the top and back. if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Place it so that it sucks the air up and out of the case if the front 3 are intake

You can place it at the back of the top to aid the back fan

2 minutes ago, Demo_Boi said:

Place it so that it sucks the air up and out of the case if the front 3 are intake

thanks for the help!

42 minutes ago, Demo_Boi said:

quick question do you think it would look better to put the rgb fan on the back of the case or the top

Id check your temps after just to be sure  all ok regardless 😉

53 minutes ago, NAVY 108 said:

thanks for the help!

20 minutes ago, LukeFC said:

Id check your temps after just to be sure  all ok regardless 😉

what do you think 5 fans (cpu cooler included) all going at 1200+ rpm (idk about cpu fan tho its a heatsink) would keep temperatures at?

Totally off topic… but I think I got a pic a few years back you may enjoy. Lol

FX2_2757

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Totally off topic… but I think I got a pic a few years back you may enjoy. Lol

FX2_2757

thats my pfp...

1 minute ago, NAVY 108 said:

thats my pfp...

Another one… forget where he was flying out of. NorCal somewhere.

FX1_1950

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Well that last fan wont make much of a difference. If at all, but since you already have it you may as well use it.

1 minute ago, NAVY 108 said:

umm what do you think the fan temps would be?

Just play around with the RPM to see. See what CPU and GPU temps are and go from there. You likely don’t need that many fans anyways. What is your hardware?

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Well that last fan wont make much of a difference. If at all, but since you already have it you may as well use it.

what temps do u think it will be though?

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Just play around with the RPM to see. See what CPU and GPU temps are and go from there. You likely don’t need that many fans anyways. What is your hardware?

ummmm its a bit embarrasing im on a budget

xeon 1220 v3

8gb ram

hp elitedesk 800 g1 motherboard

refurbished evga 600w psu from evga themselves

a gtx 770 4gb

most parts are used but in perfect working condition. (most as in the psu and gpu and motherboard.)

10 minutes ago, NAVY 108 said:

what do you think 5 fans (cpu cooler included) all going at 1200+ rpm (idk about cpu fan tho its a heatsink) would keep temperatures at?

Depends on your rig ?, im new to the forums and cant find it , 

Just now, NAVY 108 said:

ummmm its a bit embarrasing im on a budget

xeon 1220 v3

8gb ram

a gtx 770 4gb

most parts are used but in perfect working condition. (most as in the psu and gpu and motherboard.)

You won’t need all that much cooking for this. Just do whatever looks good to you. You can easily end up spending 100 bucks on fans and RBG, that would be much better spent on hardware 🙂 

i would like a rx 570 in ideal conditions but since its so good for it price that is out of the question

Just now, LIGISTX said:

You won’t need all that much cooking for this. Just do whatever looks good to you. You can easily end up spending 100 bucks on fans and RBG, that would be much better spent on hardware 🙂 

yep, I put as much emphasis to parts rather than the looks, but i got 4 rgb fans for 17 bucks with some of my remaining money.

Sweet you might not need the fans but they can look nice and the cooler the better in my opinion ,

Nice , great price you would prob get away with two fans in the front and on at the back 

4 hours ago, NAVY 108 said:

what temps do u think it will be though?

From experience? 1 degree 😛

Maybe it will help the VRM temps though one fan in the rear should be enough. Well I got 3 fans in the front and one on top in front of the CPU as intake because my front is kinda choked. A little bit of heat rises from the top rear slot which is empty. The fan in the top front, I doubt it does much but maybe it helps a tiny bit.

3 hours ago, NAVY 108 said:

xeon 1220 v3

8gb ram

a gtx 770 4gb

Can't directly compare to your PC, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

The specs that I ran for most of its life and still mostly limping along.  (pre-built, but first time I tried managing case airflow after I got it)

i5 3570  (stock everything)

8GB ram

GTX 770 2GB (RIP 2014-2021)

HAF 912 case

Fans,   (all coolermaster fans, no config ever done.  Left it to default)

2x 120mm front of case, bottom half (intake)

1x 120mm back of case, at the top (exhaust)

1x 200mm Top of case, toward the back (exhaust)

CPU avg 70c under load.

GPU very RARE to go over 70c.  (idle 28c-33cavg under load/game running 60c-65c)   you have the 4GB version,  I don't know if that card may run warmer?

(Most intensive game I run is probably Hitman-2)