Noctua vs Aliexpress

MrJoe

So, i have intended to buy the Noctua NH-U12S Redux for my cpu (Ryzen 5 2600x) but then i found this on Aliexpress: https://es.aliexpress.com/item/4000307321126.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.69be5e5eKdS5Lv&ad_pvid=202109031239335250564695390580004273423_4&s=p

Now... Here is the question. Shall i choose the Noctua with 4 heatpipes and a fan with 70,7 of CFM or the Snowman with 6 heatpipes and 3 fans of 48 CFM?

Noctua.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

In my honest opinion and experience. 

Sure, Noctua is great, etc... 

I had a Noctua NH-U12A which is quite a bit more expensive than a NH-U12S Redux. 

But even consisting that, I still can't justify the Redux price over the even more cheaper Arctic Freezer 34 eSports cooler despite its stupid name. It's very similar in performance and noise (I have experience with the double fan one, there are also even cheaper single fan versions). 

Googled a few reviews, looks like it performs similar to a hyper 212 while being a bit quieter

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Aliexpress has a ton of Thermalright stuff, I would look at something from them.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

I'd skip buying noctua if you're looking at value for money. 

There are other coolers out there that have better value like the arctic freezer 34 duo, mugen 5 and so on. The one I'd recommend is the thermalright pa120.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I've got the thermalright fs140, it's similar in size and performance to a d15 but it was half the cost. After this experience, I'll definitely but thermalright in the future. 

Just keep in mind quoted CFM figures are at MAX RPM which you shouldn't be using your CPU fan at.

So that Snowman with its 90mm fan spinning at 2000RPM won't be quiet.

Better fans are able to push just as much air at lower RPM/noise.

Hyper 212 is nowhere near a Noctua.. but it is a fine cpu for many things.

the main thing about all this is the Fans.. especially if you want to have something quite... so even IF and it´s not, but even if the Tower it self, had the same ability as the Noctua, then the fans will be far inferior. 

have yet to find fans that are as low noise as Noctua, and that´s not looking at CHEAP aliexpress knock off product, but comparing to Corsair and others..

so a good dual fan Noctua solution normally has fan value near the price of the cooler + the tower...

for my usage, a must admit, as long as i buy air cooling.. NOCTUA on the expensive solutions, and on the cheaper solutions i will always just use the extremely cheap Arctic Freezer 34 DUO which is the same price as a Hyper 212 and way better, and it is either black or fully white.. think i have 3 of these, and 2 larger DH14´s + a Kraken 280mm.

Well the Arctic Freezer 34 Duo uses Arctic fans (obviously), so there’s nothing stopping you from buying a cheap (yet well reviewed) HSF combo, & then swapping out the fan for an Arctic P12 for example. The total cost shouldn’t be that bad considering the benefits (if they work well).

For eg. I had a DeepCool Gammaxx 400 v2 HSF, which cooled my 5600x nicely, but the fan noise was noticeable at medium-high RPMs so I swapped out the fan for an Arctic Bionix which is able to maintain similar temps but at quieter RPM.

7 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

Hyper 212 is nowhere near a Noctua.. but it is a fine cpu for many things.

the main thing about all this is the Fans.. especially if you want to have something quite... so even IF and it´s not, but even if the Tower it self, had the same ability as the Noctua, then the fans will be far inferior. 

have yet to find fans that are as low noise as Noctua, and that´s not looking at CHEAP aliexpress knock off product, but comparing to Corsair and others..

so a good dual fan Noctua solution normally has fan value near the price of the cooler + the tower...

for my usage, a must admit, as long as i buy air cooling.. NOCTUA on the expensive solutions, and on the cheaper solutions i will always just use the extremely cheap Arctic Freezer 34 DUO which is the same price as a Hyper 212 and way better, and it is either black or fully white.. think i have 3 of these, and 2 larger DH14´s + a Kraken 280mm.

Seriously, look at thermalright. Their specs are on par with noctua and their price is great. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

Seriously, look at thermalright. Their specs are on par with noctua and their price is great. 

They were making high end coolers years before Noctua came to market 😎

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

14 hours ago, freeagent said:

They were making high end coolers years before Noctua came to market 😎

yeah had a Thermalright Ultra 120 back in 2008.. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/75030/thermalright-ultra-120-true-copper-cooling-performance-tested

this large chuncky boy.. i think it was over 1.5 kg, it was so heavy that they recommended to remove it when moving your pc around.

thermalright was far ahead in passive coolers.