Is it okay to remove the VRM heatsink from a Gigabyte z490 Aorus Elite AC?

Go to solution Solved by Beerzerker,

DO NOT remove it!
The VRMs NEED the cooler mounted on them to keep working or they'll burn up, it's on them for a reason and you don't want to find out why the hard way.

I want to remove my VRM heatsink to more easily fit a radiator...does the VRM heatsink actually do anything...?...or is it okay to just remove it?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

DO NOT remove it!
The VRMs NEED the cooler mounted on them to keep working or they'll burn up, it's on them for a reason and you don't want to find out why the hard way.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

DO NOT remove it!

Lol...😊 Okay, I'll leave it in place :0)

Thanks 🙂

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

You are essentially downgrading your board by doing it. Will it still work? Yes. Will it work as well for overclocking a beefy CPU, which is presumably the reason why you have a Z490 board and a liquid cooling radiator? No.

Typically only the cheapest shitty-est boards have no VRM cooling. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

What radiator are you trying to fit, in what case?

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You are essentially downgrading your board by doing it. Will it still work? Yes. Will it work as well for overclocking a beefy CPU, which is presumably the reason why you have a Z490 board and a liquid cooling radiator? No.

Typically only the cheapest shitty-est boards have no VRM cooling. 

5 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

What radiator are you trying to fit, in what case?

Yeah, I'm trying to fit an EK Coolstream CE 420 in push-pull into the top of a Fractal Meshify 2 

I've found it clears the VRM heatsink but the heatsinks on my G.Skill TridentZ RAM is stopping me from seating the rad...

...so...I'm going to try and strip the heatsinks off of the RAM...

...or I might try and Dremel fins off of the top. 

Do you really need push/pull? Is that 420 your sole rad? I'd be inclined to run push only if you've got a second radiator. 

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

3 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Do you really need push/pull? Is that 420 your sole rad? I'd be inclined to run push only if you've got a second radiator. 

I guess it would save a lot of trouble to run it in push only but I had my heart set on push-pull.

I've got a Nemesis GTX280 for the front of the the case and a GTX140 for the floor of the case.

It's super-cramped and it's going to require me modding the PSU shroud (not a fan of those) but it's coming together.

You 100% don't need push/pull with 840mm radiator space

Just now, HM-2 said:

You 100% don't need push/pull with 840mm radiator space

😊 I know I don't need it...but I want it. 😊

...but yeah, I just tried it and I'd have to run it in push with just two fans, because the RAM sinks are still in the way, and I'd loose my rear fan also...I think the RAM heatsinks have to go. 

Can you post some pictures?

22 minutes ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Yeah, I'm trying to fit an EK Coolstream CE 420 in push-pull into the top of a Fractal Meshify 2 

I've found it clears the VRM heatsink but the heatsinks on my G.Skill TridentZ RAM is stopping me from seating the rad...

...so...I'm going to try and strip the heatsinks off of the RAM...

...or I might try and Dremel fins off of the top. 

Some (Not all) G. Skill kits with tall heatspreaders have the tops of these mounted instead of just being part of the heatspreader itself, mounted in place with screws so you can remove the fins if you have to for clearance. 
Check your set for that.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

18 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

Yeah, I'll get some...

Edit: @HM-2 what do you want pictures of exactly...?...just general photo's? Or photos of the obstruction?

7 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Some (Not all) G. Skill kits with tall heatspreaders have the tops of these mounted instead of just being part of the heatspreader itself, mounted in place with screws so you can remove the fins if you have to for clearance. 
Check your set for that.

That would be super-handy, but I don't see any screws? I guess I'd have to remove the plastic bit at the top? I'll take a closer look. 

55 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

I'm doing kind of a dry-run, mock build, to identify problems and figure out what I else I need to get it all together. Once I get it put together I'll post some pictures. 👍

Edit: Yeah, this kind of sucks...the VRM heatsink is obstructing the radiator...it looks like I might have to pull the VRM heatsink and apply some kind of custom solution...I need everything low profile. 🙁

1 hour ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Yeah, I'll get some...

Edit: @HM-2 what do you want pictures of exactly...?...just general photo's? Or photos of the obstruction?

That would be super-handy, but I don't see any screws? I guess I'd have to remove the plastic bit at the top? I'll take a closer look. 

Photos of the case, motherboard and obstruction...anything that could help in solving it really

It's too bad I don't have one of those boards or I could actually make one (Heatsink) that's low profile.

Did it to a CHV-Z I've got not long ago and it worked out great for handling temps under a heavy load, plus what I made is all solid copper which means it's better than stock too.

100_0557.thumb.JPG.bfdcc2735f4017c4fb95372ddf7693f2.JPG

Did the VRM's top and bottom for both VRM areas of the board and the chipset cooler too. What's shown is what I did for the VRM's, I hadn't gotten around to making the NB cooler at the time the pic was taken.
It's not pretty but it all works - That's what counts.

Like I said earlier, you are running a big risk removing it but if you can find or get a cooler that will go onto the VRM's or even modify the one you have on it now it's way better than running them "Naked".

2 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Photos of the case, motherboard and obstruction...anything that could help in solving it really

9 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

It's too bad I don't have one of those boards or I could actually make one (Heatsink) that's low profile.

Did it to a CHV-Z I've got not long ago and it worked out great for handling temps under a heavy load, plus what I made is all solid copper which means it's better than stock too...

I'm exhausted and got to sleep; I'll post the photos tomorrow.

I was able to remove the shield that covers the back-plate components while leaving the VRM heatsink in place and I was able to just about get the 420 rad seated, just slightly offset at the rear, because it's still pressing up against the housing for the USB sockets.

Right now I've got to get some sleep but will post again tomorrow, with pictures. 👍

7 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Did it to a CHV-Z I've got not long ago and it worked out great for handling temps under a heavy load, plus what I made is all solid copper which means it's better than stock too.

100_0557.thumb.JPG.bfdcc2735f4017c4fb95372ddf7693f2.JPG

Did the VRM's top and bottom for both VRM areas of the board and the chipset cooler too. What's shown is what I did for the VRM's, I hadn't gotten around to making the NB cooler at the time the pic was taken.
It's not pretty but it all works - That's what counts.

Like I said earlier, you are running a big risk removing it but if you can find or get a cooler that will go onto the VRM's or even modify the one you have on it now it's way better than running them "Naked".

Is that a test bench...?...or is that how you run your rig? That's a really unusual looking setup...for a moment I thought one of the watercooling tubes were routed through a wall, but I'm guessing it must be a fill-port? 😊

12 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Pictures as requested...

The yellow Akasa Vipers aren't the fans I'm intending to use for this build...they're just place holders for me to be able to build it out to see what solutions I'm going to need to come up with. The fan's I'm intending to use haven't reached me yet.

I was able to remove (I don't know what it's called?) the cover for the back-plate components, without removing the VRM heatsink...lucky! 

IMG_20210903_203614.jpg

I was able to partially re-secure the back panel with cable ties.  

IMG_20210903_204105.jpg

The cable ties in combination with fitting the motherboard back into the case, held the back panel solidly in place...

IMG_20210903_210515.jpg

The radiator still butts up against the housing for the USB ports...and so the radiator sits offset towards the rear of the case...

IMG_20210903_214945.jpg

I guess I could drill out space for the screws but probably won't...?...not sure it's really necessary as long as the screws in the middle and front of the top of the case are able to take the strain, plus they might keep slotting in when potentially I may not want them to in the future...

IMG_20210903_214952.jpg

So, here it is in situ...

You can see the GTX280 in the front of the case and the GTX140 in the floor of the case.

I can't add the second fan to the GTX140 until I've removed the PSU shroud...I need to buy a drill and learn how to drill out the rivets to remove the PSU shroud.

The GTX140 fits, between the GTX280 and my PSU, with millimetres to spare.

I've got CableMod's most flexible PSU cable replacements on their way to me...the wires to the sockets that power the VRM are a twisted tangled mess of inflexible wiring so purchasing something lower-profile and more flexible was essential...

...the wires in the bottom of the case, not so much, they could have been routed around and away from the GTX140 radiator fittings, but I don't think they sell the cables separately?...at any rate, I've got a whole set for the PSU on its way here.

IMG_20210903_212808.jpg

It's pretty snug...

IMG_20210903_212828.jpg

A closer look at the GTX140 radiator...I can't wait to get rid of that PSU shroud... 😊

IMG_20210903_212837.jpg

Mounting the radiator with the fittings facing forward gets me just enough clearance to mount a rear fan...

...I was toying with the idea of mounting the rear fan as an intake to try and get air to the VRM...?...but I think I'm just going to mount it as an extractor so as not to create an airflow conflict...

IMG_20210903_215017.jpg

The space for the tube routing is also pretty snug...I'm probably going to have more right angle fitting's than I'd anticipated, so it's probably a good thing I picked up the EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5...I think this loop is going to need some oomph... 😊

IMG_20210903_215027.jpg

I think (?) the CoolStream CE 420 is pretty straightforward...?...

IMG_20210903_215029.jpg

But the Nemesis GTX radiators specify a particular port for in and out flow, dependant on which way the air is moving through them...so...an extra wrinkle...

IMG_20210903_215033.jpg

The EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 in situ; the book it's sitting on raises it to the height it'll be sitting at once the pull fan is fitted to the GTX140...I can't use the special brackets to mount the Revo Dual to the the pull fan on the GTX140 because it has to sit offset to fit into the build...so I'll have to figure out a way to lash it to the case with cable ties...not sure how else to do it.

I purchased an EK-RES X3 150 Lite to mount to the top of the XTOP Revo, but there's just no way it'll fit...

...so I purchased a res that measures 100mm in total (including the ends). It's short enough for me to seat a 90 degree rotary fitting in the top with millimetres to spare, and will have 1cm clearance on either side (1cm clearance from the GPU water block and the pull fan on the GTX280)...

...to mount the 100mm res to the top of the XTOP Revo, I'm probably going to need the (not sold separately) specially machined fitting intended for mounting of the EK X3 150 Lite res...I'm hoping there won't be compatibility issues...I've been lucky so far...lets hope my luck holds with regards that...and extends to me being able to safely remove the RAM heatsinks... 

I placed the GPU waterblock on top of the GPU to get an idea of how far it'll extend once fitted...

IMG_20210903_224222.jpg

...it looks like I'm going to need more right angle fittings than I'd anticipated... 😶

IMG_20210903_224432.jpg

Can you flip the fans onto the outer side of the case? I mean I don't see any situation where that isn't going to be obscuring most of the top of the motherboard mind. Cable routing is going to he an absolute pain, as will be plumbing the loop. You're going to need so many 90s you might end up with some fairly significant flow restriction. 

2 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

Is that a test bench...?...or is that how you run your rig? That's a really unusual looking setup...for a moment I thought one of the watercooling tubes were routed through a wall, but I'm guessing it must be a fill-port? 😊

Yes, it's a test bench and I use it for my OC'ing.
Yes again, there are tubes that are ran through the wall to an external cooling tower I made for the system and also a big "Yes" in that it works.

2 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Can you flip the fans onto the outer side of the case? I mean I don't see any situation where that isn't going to be obscuring most of the top of the motherboard mind. Cable routing is going to he an absolute pain, as will be plumbing the loop. You're going to need so many 90s you might end up with some fairly significant flow restriction. 

I used to do that with my C70 for push pull on my AIO, but this time around I want to keep it all inside the case; I'm going for a balance of aesthetics and functionality/performance, rather than just performance above all else?

Also, I think because the CE 420 is so boxy it doesn't actually fit into the top of the case...it's having fans on the top side of the CE 420 that actually lets me mount it. I think I'd probably need a rad with rounded corners and even then I don't really feel confident it would fit.

Maybe I could switch to a corsair XR 5 420mm (30mm height with rounded corners) but I'm still not confident I'd be able to seat it in this case with fans even just in push...

...Fractal say the Meshify 2 can seat a 420mm fan in the top of the case, so, assuming that's not just theoretical, I'm guessing there must be a 420mm radiator out there that'll fit...?...I'm not sure if they have a compatibility list...I probably should have checked...

...really they should make the Meshify a little wider, so that you can actually seat 420mm rads without modification and without stripping RAM heatsinks...anyone that's going to mount a 420mm radiator in their PC is probably going to have high profile RAM: I'm guessing they're not expecting you to mount a 45mm radiator with fans in push-pull but... 🙄

They need a 'Meshify Fat'.

And yeah, cable routing will have to be done before the radiators seated, and quite a few 90 degree bends; hopefully not too many...?...I don't really know what the limit is for those.

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Yes, it's a test bench and I use it for my OC'ing.
Yes again, there are tubes that are ran through the wall to an external cooling tower I made for the system and also a big "Yes" in that it works.

Wow, so you OC as a pastime...?!  It's something I've been meaning to learn, and keep dipping into, but I've not really fully got my head around it. The CPU in my gaming rig is still running stock.

Edit: @HM-2 ...reading this thread, it seems 90 degree angles causing problems in loops might actually be a myth? https://www.overclock.net/threads/do-90-degree-bends-in-loops-actually-affect-cooling.1395198/post-20103337

Apologies for the double post but for anyone following or reading this thread I thought I should point out that the Meshify 2 User Guide / manual is misleading and incorrect:

In this picture the 420mm radiator extends into the area (circled in red) where the front panel wires and circuitry are located...

...I got around this because having fans in pull gave me the clearance I needed to seat the radiator, but it was still a struggle.

so...yeah, if you have a radiator with rounded corners, that's 30mm high/thick and you don't mind running it in pull, then it potentially wont be obstructed by your high profile RAM (if you have it).

The thickness of the radiator I have mounted, only adds 15mm to the total height/thickness of the assembly (it's a 45mm high/thick rad) so running a 30mm high 420mm rad in push pull, is (probably?) going to cause you the kinds of problems it's caused me...I can't say for certain as I've not checked it but I'm not sure reducing the thickness of the assembly by 15mm is going to give adequate clearance for high profile RAM. 

I'd love to be proven wrong or for someone to show me how a 420mm rad can be seated in push in the top of this case. I'm surprised no one's tested this and have just taken he manufacturer at their word.  

Edit: It might be possible to pull the extractor fan in the rear of the case and push the rad back further towards the rear of the case but I seem to remember having trouble with clearance in the rear with EK's square block. I think I'd have to take another look at that.

Untitled.png

On 9/3/2021 at 6:50 PM, Beerzerker said:

DO NOT remove it!

That isn't true. So what about an entry level board that has no VRM heatsinks ? If you put a cpu in it that it couldn't handle then it would just thermal throttle and shut down. Nothing is going to burn up. You also have high end boards like the MSI Godlike series and the Gigabyte Xtreme etc that could run quite fine without a VRM heatsink as the VRM is overkill to start with. 

7 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

That isn't true. So what about an entry level board that has no VRM heatsinks ? If you put a cpu in it that it couldn't handle then it would just thermal throttle and shut down. Nothing is going to burn up. You also have high end boards like the MSI Godlike series and the Gigabyte Xtreme etc that could run quite fine without a VRM heatsink as the VRM is overkill to start with. 

So...I can take the heatsink off? 

4 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Understand I will NEVER make an unsafe suggestion - The heatsinks are there for a reason.
Entry level boards are designed to run like that from the factory, this one isn't intended to go without a heatsink on the VRM's or it woudn't be there in the first place.

Bad advice is just that and something I'll never give intentially, even if the alternative happens to be true.
I actually don't know the skill level of the OP related to all that and the best thing to do advice-wise to be safe is to leave them alone and in place as a suggestion you'd make.

4 hours ago, GuruMeditationError said:

So...I can take the heatsink off? 

That's up to you, I've given the advice I have and I stand by it.
If you do remove them and it starts throttling/shutting down, then you'll know it has to go back on. 
Just don't go trying to OC it that way until you can confirm how it's going to act in the first place.