Laptop for work and light gaming in Antarctica

CWALD

Ok, so I am starting a job in the Antarctic soon and am no longer going to have accommodations for a desktop PC.

I intend to bring a small second monitor and there will be no wifi available so HDMI and RJ-45 ports are a must.

A spot for a second drive would be a huge plus even if it is not populated and a high level of robustness would also be appreciated.

I also place high value on modular components (I would consider a framework laptop if it had a gpu and I had time to wait for it)

This laptop will be used for work, lab, and light single player/LAN gaming, the most intensive application would probably be Civ VI. 

My budget is about $800-$1000 USD

I could be leaving in as little as 2 weeks so it needs to be available in stores or have 2 day shipping available. I have a Best Buy and Micro center nearby.

So far I am leaning towards a Lenovo Legion 5 with a 10th gen i7 and GTX 1660ti?

I would maybe go with an intel 11th gen or a zen3 based laptop. I would prefer AMD for the better power consumption

12 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I would maybe go with an intel 11th gen or a zen3 based laptop. I would prefer AMD for the better power consumption

I was looking at some zen3 options but I wasn't seeing a ton in my price range that did not also come with a lower end gpu. I was also thought I remembered the reviews for 11th gen intel being really bad.

10th gen intel is also pretty bad
I would choose zen2 before getting a 14nm chip in 2021

And 11th gen Intel is a lot better than 10th gen

6 minutes ago, Devryd said:

10th gen intel is also pretty bad
I would choose zen2 before getting a 14nm chip in 2021

And 11th gen Intel is a lot better than 10th gen

ill keep looking to see what I can find then, thank you

You could also try and get an Intel laptop with thunderbolt and an eGPU. It might be a little more expensive together, but you can upgrade it later, if the GPU is too weak.

6 minutes ago, Devryd said:

You could also try and get an Intel laptop with thunderbolt and an eGPU. It might be a little more expensive together, but you can upgrade it later, if the GPU is too weak.

I could be in Antarctica for as long as a year with no way to get parts, so I would rather error on the side of getting to much. Unfortunately my budget limits how far I can go with that. Thanks though 🙂