WHY: CS:GO keep running i9-9900K under 100% load? HELP

_zZz_

Hi everyone,

Big problem, I am STOPED play CS:GO&Source long time ago.

Reason: my i9-9900K loaded immediately 100% after starting CS:GO in Main Menu. During play game the same 100%, WHY?

I tried contact to MSI(cos mobo), but i've got following answer: "CS:GO very intensive game 🤐", but it core i9-9900K......? it should be loaded 20%-max 50% only.

Internet doesn't have 100% clear answer. I found a lot of people with the same issue, but no decision yet. CS TechSupport stayed quiet. What's wrong with SC:GO? WHY?

I tried: reinstall game, installed to another drive, installed under new account, check files, delete folder and reinstall again, clean register, update all drivers, tried i7-8700K 8gen too, but ....... nothing helps

By the way ALL OTHER GAMES runs smooth and load core i9 max 70% (games: Destiny 2, DOOM, ANNO e.t.c.).

*Hyper-threading ON/OFF doesn't help too 🙄

My RiG:

OS:                 Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Ver.2009 (OS build 19043.1110)

BIOS Version: 1.90 / 06/04/2020 (last comparable version)
CPU:               Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz/currently steady 5.00GHz

Motherboard:  MSI Z-370m Mortar
Memory:          64 GB @ 2x32 GB DDR4-3200, 04CD F4-3200C16-32GVK
Graphics:        NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 0 MB
Drive:              HDD, Raid 1 Volume, 931.51 GB
Drive:              SSD, Samsung SSD 970, 931.51 GB

Did you have the same issue?

How did you resolve it?

any ideas? solution?

Thanks in advanced....

You're making an issue out of nothing

CSGO is very CPU intensive. You should be happy that its being resourceful

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

CS:GO is a heavily threaded CPU bound game and you're probably running it with an uncapped frame rate. Your GPU is not the limiting factor and in turn, your CPU is going to get maxed out during gameplay.

As said above, this isn't an issue. If you really want to limit your CPU usage for whatever reason, you need to cap your frame rate.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

4 hours ago, _zZz_ said:

During play game the same 100%, WHY?

That's exactly what you'd like to see as a gamer: your hardware giving its all.

4 hours ago, _zZz_ said:

it should be loaded 20%-max 50% only.

Why? Unless you tell it to reign itself in by e.g. limiting the FPS your hardware will try to go as fast as it can.

CS:GO is just about the easiest game to run. I'm guessing you are getting a couple hundred FPS right? This is the first time I see someone complain about getting the performance they paid for, let alone in a game where people sometimes play in ridiculous stretched 4:3 potato resolution to squeeze out ever single last frame.

4 hours ago, _zZz_ said:

core i9 max 70% (games: Destiny 2, DOOM, ANNO e.t.c.).

Yeah these games are of a completely different level than CS:GO both in terms of CPU and GPU load (assuming we're not talking 1993 DOOM and 1998 Anno).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Non of your replies are HELPFUL guys 😏

How i can limit CSGO cpu usage?

I tried 3rd party software but w/t success.

What is your CPU load?

7 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

How i can limit CSGO cpu usage?

I tried 3rd party software but w/t success.

What is your CPU load?

That's not how software works

Usage doesn't mean anything as it's volatile. Resources are allocated accordingly to where they are needed/can be used. There's no point in taking away performance just for the sake of it. 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

11 hours ago, Slottr said:

You're making an issue out of nothing

CSGO is very CPU intensive. You should be happy that its being resourceful

Nobody want to drive "muscle car" under MAX rpm 100% of time at any speed only because it can handle.

Agree it resourceful and the reason - i didn't want to push limit all the time, only when i need it.

*I like smooth and nice ride, buy the way😉

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

That's not how software works

Usage doesn't mean anything as it's volatile. Resources are allocated accordingly to where they are needed/can be used. There's no point in taking away performance just for the sake of it. 

Men, will you run your rig 100% all the time during gaming?

i'd like to lower that, how can i do it? i need a solution, not "pollution" 😑

what is your cpu usage?

1 hour ago, _zZz_ said:

Men, will you run your rig 100% all the time during gaming?

Yes. I want the most performance my rig can offer me. That means I like to see things near 100% usage. If something doesn't reach 100% that just means another component is holding it back however littlle.

1 hour ago, _zZz_ said:

i'd like to lower that, how can i do it? i need a solution, not "pollution"

A solution has been given:

9 hours ago, Roswell said:

If you really want to limit your CPU usage for whatever reason, you need to cap your frame rate.

The way you do that is up to you. You can enable G/V-sync ingame, limit it in the Nvidia Control Panel, use software like RTSS, use CS:GO's own settings etc.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

58 minutes ago, tikker said:

Yes. I want the most performance my rig can offer me. That means I like to see things near 100% usage. If something doesn't reach 100% that just means another component is holding it back however littlle.

A solution has been given:

The way you do that is up to you. You can enable G/V-sync ingame, limit it in the Nvidia Control Panel, use software like RTSS, use CS:GO's own settings etc.

Just tried:

enable/disable G/V-sync ingame - DOESN'T help

limited frame in Nvidia panel - DOESN'T help

change all video settings to min - DOESN'T help

the same 💩 check my screen

Never had a problems with my 1080ti_SeaHawk edition, it handle everything at the moment.

More ideas?

tskmgr.jpg

It only happens with CSGO! Why it suck my cpu power out?

Again: do  you guys have the same csgo cpu usage or it's "normal"?

*My second crappy rig (core duo) doesn't have this issue at all, video bottle neck only but cpu 80%

It looks like LTT Gurus DOESN'T have solution for me too.

W'd be interesting to ask LTT staff opinion if they have one 😉

*check ltt video :

:

you will see in video win10 "normal" cpu load for scgo

50 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

enable/disable G/V-sync ingame - DOESN'T help

limited frame in Nvidia panel - DOESN'T help

What is your framerate? Do these settings lock them to your monitor's refresh rate? In that case both are working.

50 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

change all video settings to min - DOESN'T help

That'll only increase FPS and put more load on the CPU. If anything you should change all graphics settings to MAX to push more load to the GPU.

Did you try CS:GO's own FPS limiter? You can add +fps_max fps_number_here to Steam's launch options.

44 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

*My second crappy rig (core duo) doesn't have this issue at all, video bottle neck only but cpu 80%

If the GPU is the bottleneck then of course the CPU load will not be 100% because the GPU can't render frames fast enough. If you'd give your Core Duo system the 1080 Ti that CPU should be at 100% as well.

Again it's not a problem though. There is no reason whatsoever why a game "should only use 20-

50%" of your CPU. It should load it up as much as possible. If CS:GO can push a 9900k to 100% all core usage that means it's well coded to take advantage of the amount of cores  that CPU has to offer.

24 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

you will see in video win10 "normal" cpu load for scgo

That's their usage on their system. Furthermore, their test system uses a Ryzen R9 5950X, which has 16 cores. 50 % usage on that CPU means (naively) that it maxes out 8 cores. Your i9 9900k has 8 cores, so naturally if a 16 core CPU would be at 50%, your 8 core CPU would be at 100%. What you are seeing is completely normal.

My Monitor keeps custome 2560x1440 at 74Ghz, but SCGO shows me 50FPS only. For ex: Destiny hold steady 74 fps.

What is your cpu load?

so, conclusion - IT'S NORMAL EXACTLY FOR MY RIG - PLAY AT 100% CPU LOAD f.. SCGO and THAT IS NOT RELATED REST OF THE GAME

Do you HEAR yourself? How it sound?

I don't want to roast my cpu for f_scgo 🤨

Is it only happened with me or not?

On 9/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, _zZz_ said:

People are helping you by explaining how hardware works and telling you to stop being hysterical. In so far as the problem you imagine is not a problem, you aren't going to get much "help" for it.  People here are not going to be inclined to give you advice on how to cripple your system's gaming performance for no reason.

Do you HEAR yourself? How it sound?

If you only knew how you sounded to those of us here who have seen hundreds of threads from people wringing their hands that games won't max out their hardware.

I don't want to roast my cpu

CPU isn't going to roast unless temperatures (which you haven't mentioned) are too high and the CPU will downclock to protect itself well before that. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Thanks for explanation

and I just want to call you attention for that particular issue, no drama at all

and YES, cpu started Thermal throttling right away and drop clock speed down for few sec ...you know how is it...

Still surprised: if it only happened with me 😬

I recorded 1,5 min video + screenshot, check what happens after 1 min running game actually only hanging out in main menu

AGAIN happened - ONLY with SC💩GO

termothr1.wmv

ltt2.jpg

11 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

you know how is it..

We don't, because you haven't provided any of that information. 100% usage has nothing to do with thermal throttling 🙂 That's up to the cooling solution.

I recorded 1,5 min video + screenshot, check what happens after 1 min running game actually only hanging out in main menu

What cooler are you using? 105 C at 6% usage is worrying on multiple levels. 105 C on its own is already close to where the PC would simply hard shutdown to protect itself IIRC. The other worrying part is that it's reaching that temperature on 6% usage and 100% fan speed (though perhaps the 6% usage is after exiting the game and it hasn't cooled down yet).

Is your cooler 1) mounted properly and 2) working at all 3) mounted with a good amount of thermal paste and no plastic stuff in between?

tikker, where did u see 105 at 6% load?

cpu cool down with no problem,

i9-9900K, base clock 3.6 Ghz - my settings 5.0 Ghz - and max temp 105 in BIOS - picture

AIO CoolerMaster with 280 rad.on the top of case.

AGAIN: IT HAPPEND ONLY WHEN I RAN CSGO

i don't have a problem with running bunch of tabs and video and another stuff, only scFgo

IMG_20210716_191929897.thumb.jpg.bfa1e48880a33960a57ae2b0e9ef0b0e.jpg

1 minute ago, _zZz_ said:

i9-9900K, base clock 3.6 Ghz - my settings 5.0 Ghz - and max temp 105 in BIOS - picture

i don't have a problem with running bunch of tabs and video and another stuff, only scFgo

IMG_20210716_191929897.thumb.jpg.bfa1e48880a33960a57ae2b0e9ef0b0e.jpg

Have you limited your frames with Steam Launch settings? Limit them to 30 and see how low your CPU usage goes. If you want CSGO to not use 100% CPU, you need to limit the frames.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

the same, nothing changed

from Autostart and Console too

from Console i can change it from 50 up to 120 fps only, but CPU the same 100%

image.png.320ca5dcb8e8acec66cc65c56b4a8ee1.png

2 hours ago, _zZz_ said:

The screenshot of MSI command center reports a load of 6% while Task Manager reports 100%. Even in your video, command center is never reporting a load above 25%. Something is not reporting correctly here.

2 hours ago, _zZz_ said:

Tabs and videos shouldn't use that much CPU unless you're editing video.

Are you even sure it's CS:GO that's using all those CPU resources? Switch to the "Process" tab in Task Manager to see what's actually causing this. Just because a piece of software is running whenever it happens doesn't mean that it exclusively is the culprit.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

3 hours ago, _zZz_ said:

In the command centre screenshot you showed. The information is a conflicting now though. You now say there is a max temp of 105 C in the BIOS, but then you say it only happens in CS:GO. Which one is it? Both are bad. Assuming the cooler is mounted correctly, does it work? That is, are the fans spinning and is the pump running? 105 C is very hot so something is off.

Also, why are you turning C-states off and raising the overtemperature protection? I'd reset the BIOS to default settings first to eliminate anything you might have changed.

I agree with @Avocado Diaboli. Something weird is going on if one software reports 25% load and 105 C, but Windows reports 100% load. Secondly if even after limiting the FPS to 50 the CPU load doesn't change, then I'm not convinced it's actually CS:GO using all that CPU power. Take a look at Task Manager's process tab, sort by CPU usage and check what is actually using the CPU when this is happening.

Guys you are confused with all this pictures, where is 6%, am i blind?

Did you watch 1,5 minute?

(I recorded my 2nd screen after start SC:GO on main screen)

again - ALL SOFT AND PROGRAMS RUNS WITH NO PROBLEM

WHY ONLY SC:GO  TRY TO ABUSE  MY CPU?

is it CLEAR?

c-state is OFF for stability, after overclocking i9-9900K.

Do not get off of the main question - SC:GO load my cpu 100% all the time. WHY?

again and again but NOTHING HELPS!!!

ltt3.jpg

14 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

Guys you are confused with all this pictures, where is 6%, am i blind?

image.png.5ba47b4d6289c657028a421419495b9d.png

Look at the load in MSI command center. We're rounding up to 6%.

And again, the graph view of Task Manager shows nothing useful. Switch to the process tab to show which process is hogging the CPU resources.

14 minutes ago, _zZz_ said:

Do not get off of the main question - SC:GO load my cpu 100% all the time. WHY?

That's what we're trying to figure out and why people are posing the questions they are. We don't have a crystal ball and since we're not sitting in front of your computer and only have the info you're willing to put here, we can't magically tell you why your PC is behaving the way it does.

Also, as an aside, you should really drop the temperamental attitude and the needless all caps, which are typically read as someone screaming. It's not welcoming to people who intend to help you, especially when coupled with your apparent (but probably unintended) know-it-all way you respond to advice or inquiry. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

Do not get off of the main question

That's not the main question, though. It might be totally irrelevant, and you keep ignoring people who are asking for info that could help get to the root cause of your issues.

Also, I don't usually stoop to correcting people's spelling, but since you keep spamming it over and over: it's CS:GO, not "SC:GO." The title of the game isn't Strike-Counter.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16