upgrading for cad and run low power physic simulations as well as gaming

Budget (including currency): 600CAD flexable

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: autocad, fusion 360, SDS2, photoshop, Inkscape, skyrim minecraft csgo gta5, going to buy some other new titles maybe vr in the future

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

my current build

i5 7400 ( overclocked 19%)

gtx 1070ti (overclocked)

ram 2x 8gb 1200mhz (overclocked)

motherboard z270 prime asus

4 tb of storage sata 2tb hdd 1tb sdd 500gb ssd 500g ssd (i have 1.5 tb recordings for school and 500g of picture, i know i will need more soon this year i may use another 1.5tb for school alone storage monster i know)

dual monitors (hp lv2311, hp 2511x) cap at 1080p

wired g300s mouse

decent wired head set

power supply 500w

usb wifi and bluetooth

my case has 1 usb 3.0 and 2 usb 2.0

im going to canada computers in person this weekend in kanata ON if you know another place in Ottawa area let me know

so why upgrading for school being online fully this year i need to run these program smoothly and efficiently

SDS2 runs but that's it, it takes too long be practical and to seems to be cpu bound

gta 5 lags out after driving for longer then 5mins mostly ram or gpu?

cad is mostly fine till i import survey points 80k takes about 10mins to load not 100% sure why i assume cpu

i notice it lags after logging in not sure why task manger points cpu bound in system

what im think so far

im on a tight budget flexible in the since, if i can sell my old parts i can afford to go over 600$cad

upgrades im think of

ryen 5600x for 380$

asus tuf b550 plus (wifi) (not sure but hope it has bluetooth) 100$

best cheapest 3200mhz 16g or 32gb kit i can find 150$ish

keep my gtx1070ti and everything else the same at this point minus the wifi and Bluetooth adapter

i dont need the best of the best, just a solid budget upgrade thats future proof (i hope to buy something like the rtx3070 at some point in the near future maybe once/if grant money comes in)

19 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

See what deals that store has, for sure. You're not going to find the b550 plus wifi motherboard for $100... more like $200.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/pmTPF8

canada computer has it as a deal right now that's why i used those prices but yeah for sure not the norm

12 hours ago, Qtip said:

im on a tight budget flexible in the since, if i can sell my old parts i can afford to go over 600$cad

upgrades im think of

ryen 5600x for 380$

asus tuf b550 plus (wifi) (not sure but hope it has bluetooth) 100$

best cheapest 3200mhz 16g or 32gb kit i can find 150$ish

keep my gtx1070ti and everything else the same at this point minus the wifi and Bluetooth adapter

i dont need the best of the best, just a solid budget upgrade thats future proof (i hope to buy something like the rtx3070 at some point in the near future maybe once/if grant money comes in)

I think you are on the right track with those upgrades.

From your i5 7400 which is 4 cores 4 threads, going to 6 cores 12 threads will be a huge upgrade for games as well as all the other software you run.

Keeping your 1070Ti is the right idea, in the current GPU market, and still a solid card anyway.

Your  current RAM is DDR4 2x8GB 2400Mhz I presume (1200 Mhz doesnt exist in DDR4). You could consider keeping that, and spending the extra money on a 5800X instead (8 cores, 16 threads). The difference between the 5600X and 5800X will be far bigger than going from 2400Mhz to 3200Mhz RAM (and more future proof with 8 cores). People often over-emphasize the importance of RAM speed. You will see 5-10% difference (depending on the application) in CPU performance perhaps between 2400 Mhz and 3200 Mhz.

Most CAD software I know of benefits mostly from Single core performance, but going forward, more and more apps are getting multi-threaded, so 8 cores is the way to go in my opinion.

In your case, I would get the 5800X now, keep your current RAM, and in the future when you save up some more, upgrade to 32 GB of 3200 or 3600 Mhz. You might want to throw in a good CPU cooler for the 5800X, those things run hot.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

The difference between the 5600X and 5800X will be far bigger than going from 2400Mhz to 3200Mhz RAM

You can overclock your ram anyways so no need to upgrade the ram unless you need more than 16gb