Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

US states to accept driver's licence on iPhones

Just feel like we're going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. Don't like nothin' bout it.

Leonidas

Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Monitors: Acer Nitro XV272U 1440p 170Hz IPS / Acer KG240 1080p 144Hz TN | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB / WD SN550 1TB  / Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

I have tin beside my bed and I just dump my coin in it every night.  It always tally's somewhere between $400 and $700 every 3-5Months.     The thought of refusing that much several times a year sounds bonkers.

I think I've used cash exactly once in the last two years.

National IDs in many countries are already a thing. I dont think Apple allowing people to store their driver's license changes anything (the topic of the thread).

In my country, everything is linked to the national ID. It's really not news here.

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

This doesn't seem like a good idea...

In my country, basically yes. Cash is near as much is dead. That's one of the things people from the US or other countries where cash usage is bigger or more common comment on. In my opinion it's such a hassle to use cash I actively avoid it and will just ask that I do not get the change when I try and get rid of it.

After the pandemic cash is basically dead in America too. Lots of places stopped accepting cash for sanitary reasons and only have card readers or if they do accept cash they almost always don't have enough change so they automatically round up your bill. I used to pay for a ton of stuff in cash now not so much.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I have tin beside my bed and I just dump my coin in it every night.  It always tally's somewhere between $400 and $700 every 3-5Months.     The thought of refusing that much several times a year sounds bonkers.

Well for me the number of times cash/notes has touched my hands is twice per year, cash from my grandparents for birthday and Christmas. Literally the only source of cash. So for me it would total less than $5.

I do not use cash.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Well for me the number of times cash/notes has touched me hands is twice per year, cash from my grandparents for birthday and Christmas. Literally the only source of cash. So for me it would total less than $5.

Bugger me, if my expendable budget (cash income) was that low I'd die. All day to day living is electronic. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Bugger me, if my expendable budget (cash income) was that low I'd die. All day to day living is electronic. 

?? Use Debit Card? I'm talking cash not money/funds. I could set fire to the cash I touch per year and it would have almost zero noticeable difference to how much I can spend

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

?? Use Debit Card? I'm talking cash not money/funds. I could set fire to the cash I touch per year and it would have almost zero noticeable difference to how much I can spend

Yeah, I'm talking strictly paper in my wallet.  I have no debts (literally none),  So about a quarter of my income is odd job cash which I just blow on whatever. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yeah, I'm talking strictly paper in my wallet.  I have no debts (literally none),  So about a quarter of my income is odd job cash which I just blow on whatever. 

Well considering less than $100 per year is how much cash I'd cycle through it would be impossible to lose as much in change as you would. I tend to just buy something as close to the value of the note I have and then say keep the change which is usually no more than a few dollars.

I mean, I forgot I had a $50 note in my wallet for about 2 years so...

4 hours ago, Distinctly Average said:

Your social security number is almost certainly on a number of systems already.  This I could be just one local copy on your own device then encrypted for your backup. I would have thought it is a lot harder to get hold of should you be burgled or mugged. In those cases all the their needs to do is read your number.

I also know that people do store images of their license, PIN numbers, bank details, SSN and more on their devices already, but often in less secure ways such as simply taking an image or as numbers in their phone book. These can be left unencrypted in backups so are vulnerable. Having a system that recognises these and protects them by default surely has to be better?

I think you are missing an important detail here. You are basically making it so you are carrying around a digital form of your ssn card all day every day when you have your phone on you. If you aren't using your social security card why would you have it in your wallet? I have had to use my card a total of 2 times this year and these were trips where the chances of being in danger of losing it where very small. Now compare that to having a digital copy on your phone all the time and you can readily see how this would be of a greater risk. Also having a picture of your social security card currently doesn't serve as an social security card so idk what idiot would have that on their phone already but they likely aren't the best baseline to use. 

hmmm
gov...we cant unlock iphones, we need a way to see their phones
well why dont we put drivers licence on their phone. that way its unlocked when we ask to see it

There's an angle about "why Biometrics are actually bad for security" that gets reflected in this. Yes, it may be less things to carry, but you also now have a single point of failure introduced into the lives of a lot of people. A lost or stolen phone is now a massive problem.

14 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There's an angle about "why Biometrics are actually bad for security" that gets reflected in this. Yes, it may be less things to carry, but you also now have a single point of failure introduced into the lives of a lot of people. A lost or stolen phone is now a massive problem.

Lost, stolen or even hacked/phone cloned TBH.
Convenient? - Yes.
Good idea for YOU in terms of personal security? - No.

And I still use cash alot of the time.
I do use a card as well and while that's fine, when I'm using cash all I have to do to know how much I have to spend is look in my wallet. 
No need to wonder about a credit limit or balance statement, bad check, card getting declined or even a vendor's/store's card machine having a really bad day. 

3 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Convenient? - Yes.

I do use a card as well and while that's fine, when I'm using cash all I have to do to know how much I have to spend is look in my wallet. 
No need to wonder about a credit limit or balance statement, bad check, card getting declined or even a vendor's/store's card machine having a really bad day. 

The "War on Cash" is very real, though it's not really about Control. That's a side product. It's really about moving the profit from currency movement from everyone to the pockets of those that control the Banks. It's actually surprisingly petty why it's happened.

Many have figured it out like I have already that the "Future" of currency IS crypto or some form of it.
The so-called thing about it being "Untraceable" is going away too because once these gov's start making their own versions of it, the old crypto stuff will just be gone as in it's no good (Legal Tender) for anything. 

25 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Convenient? - Yes.

What if your cash got Declined?

MROTF seems to be Stable....What's up with that? Time to call in the COLONEL!

I do have a question:

When will the name of the thread actually reflect what we are talking about?

23 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The "War on Cash" is very real, though it's not really about Control. That's a side product. It's really about moving the profit from currency movement from everyone to the pockets of those that control the Banks. It's actually surprisingly petty why it's happened.

When Govts Outlaw Cash, only Outlaws will have Cash....

MROTF seems to be Stable....What's up with that? Time to call in the COLONEL!

I do have a question:

When will the name of the thread actually reflect what we are talking about?

1 hour ago, The Unknown Voice said:

When Govts Outlaw Cash, only Outlaws will have Cash....

It gets really fun when you ask why "Money Laundering" is a crime.

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you aren't using your social security card why would you have it in your wallet? 

Because many times it counts as "ID", because it's the taxpayer ID card.

Like in Canada the social insurance card is NEVER asked for in any circumstances, but still counts as ID. So if someone does not have a drivers license or credit card, that is the only thing they are going to have when some place demands "two forms of ID", next to any medical insurance card. When voting here, one form of ID has to have a photo, otherwise you have to bring someone else who does (like your siblings or parents.)

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Convenient? - Yes.

Sounds like you use cash like a 90 year old. Because in the 1920's people were hired to do work at factories and construction if they showed up, and if you showed up late, you don't get to work that day. They paid people daily.

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Here's the thing. Use a credit card, pay off the balance, and you don't have to worry about it. The credit card is safer than the debit card, and safer than a check to all businesses. The only businesses that operate on cash-only are either:

a) Doing something illegal

b) Lack the infrastructure to handle cards (eg 3-day conventions inside a building with garbage cellular service), and even then they can still take the risk and do the purchase offline with the card.

c) Paying kids to mow your lawn, walk the dog, or babysit, because they're not old enough to have an account, and not responsible enough to have credit.

And you can see where the problem lies in all of these.

- "side jobs" aka "under the table", is to dodge taxes, or take advantage of a labor pool that is undocumented.

- lack of infrastructure is not an excuse when you could potentially be making 10x the amount of sales, that offline sale mode is something you should be risking if there is enough profit to to eat the occasional bad card. 

- Paying kids to do labor is questionable at best, illegal at worst.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, StDragon said:

And because everything is bigger in Texas, it would require its own app 🤠

the app would be hosted on a server in texas that will stop working the next time it snows XD

On 9/2/2021 at 2:18 PM, Distinctly Average said:

My thoughts

While some will see this as a further erosion of privacy I personally think we are way past that stage. I am not adverse to having a National ID for instance like much of  Europe already have. Some countries already have all their health data stored on a smart card for instance and they think it odd that we in the UK don’t have that. To me, this kind of technology hopefully will make life easier, and more secure. What I do find odd is that only Apple is mentioned, not Android. Will there be a version for Android too? Is that platform not deemed secure enough by the US? There really is a lot tho think about before I decide whether this is a good or bad idea.

I'm not too familiar with the security side so I won't speculate there, but as far as a digital id goes, I'm all down! What this allows for is the end of the voter ID squabble. The reason people fight against voter id is because lower economic citizens might not be able to afford the id, preventing those populations from voting, disproportionally affecting black and latino. I'm assuming the digital ID would be free, and if so, that would alleviate the concern of voter id being restrictive to lower socioeconomic groups. It wouldn't be perfect as some may not have cell phones, but it would help

10 minutes ago, Kisai said:

1. Here's the thing. Use a credit card, pay off the balance, and you don't have to worry about it. The credit card is safer than the debit card, and safer than a check to all businesses.

credit isn't any safer than debit though. and you tend to spend more statistically even if you pay off the balance. So while I wouldn't go around with a checkbook anymore, credit cards are not the answer

Someone nailed it earlier, you can't force people to buy a phone, millions of Americans probably can't even afford a phone.

Maybe the government will give away free phones?  Muahahahahahaa.

8 minutes ago, Heliian said:

Someone nailed it earlier, you can't force people to buy a phone, millions of Americans probably can't even afford a phone.

Maybe the government will give away free phones?  Muahahahahahaa.

https://www.assurancewireless.com

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Radeon 6800 XT FE, Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-D15, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPU Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, MSI 1070 Gaming X 8gb, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, 5x Seagate IronWolf 8tb NAS(ZFS1), PSU Corsair RM1000x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans, OS Unraid

Why is the 5800x so hot?

59 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Because many times it counts as "ID", because it's the taxpayer ID card.

Like in Canada the social insurance card is NEVER asked for in any circumstances, but still counts as ID. So if someone does not have a drivers license or credit card, that is the only thing they are going to have when some place demands "two forms of ID", next to any medical insurance card. When voting here, one form of ID has to have a photo, otherwise you have to bring someone else who does (like your siblings or parents.)

Yes but how often do you require to have two id's on you? For me basically only when I go to get my license renewed. My friend doesn't have a driver's license yet he still has a state ID so that is what he uses when he only need one form of ID and it would be weird to use your social security card as your only form of ID.