Is it better to have windows on a separate drive than games?

maizenblue

I currently have windows installed on a 256gb sata drive and my games on a 1tb m.2. I'm reinstalling windows because of microsutter and lag issues in COD warzone and im wondering if I should put everything on the 1tb m.2 or keep it the same way it is?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I'm talking strictly from the point of view of games running smoothly. I was just spitballing over my warzone stuttering being related to having windows on a separate and slower drive.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

7 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

I'm talking strictly from the point of view of games running smoothly. I was just spitballing over my warzone stuttering being related to having windows on a separate and slower drive.

I think you're looking in the wrong place. There will be no impact having games and the OS on separate drives. Now, the drive the games are installed on alone could play a roll in the performance so you may want to look at that but again, just the separation between the games and the OS is completely unrelated. 

16 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

absolutely no difference

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

There are some games that don't like being in the "Program Files" folders on the C: drive...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

It'd be better if you ran in different drives or ssds.  Windows runs a lot of background processes which will keep your drive or ssd utilized for most of the time. So when a power hungry application runs it can only utilized the drive or ssd with half of it being used by windows.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

10 hours ago, maizenblue said:

Nope. Actually in my situation I do the reverse, all my games are run from a HD, regular spinning disk, OS on SSD.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:39 PM, Gamer4714 said:

It'd be better if you ran in different drives or ssds.  Windows runs a lot of background processes which will keep your drive or ssd utilized for most of the time. So when a power hungry application runs it can only utilized the drive or ssd with half of it being used by windows.

That is not how it works.

Those processes are mostly running in memory. They are loaded into RAM when they start and the disk is accessed if a read/write is necessary.

How much RAM is available to the system would have a way bigger impact.

In the old days with smaller amounts of RAM (1GB or less), yes there would be a lot of reading and writing to and from the page file (virtual memory).

These days with 8GB+ in most gaming PCs that shouldn't be an issue. And the OS is going to be running those things regardless of which drive what app is on.

SSDs are very fast compared to spinning, mechanical disks, which have latency due to seek times as the heads take time to physically move across the spinning platters. SSD and Nvme eliminate this.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

10 hours ago, aramini said:

That is not how it works.

Those processes are mostly running in memory. They are loaded into RAM when they start and the disk is accessed if a read/write is necessary.

How much RAM is available to the system would have a way bigger impact.

In the old days with smaller amounts of RAM (1GB or less), yes there would be a lot of reading and writing to and from the page file (virtual memory).

You find new games still use a lot of RAM sometime more them 8GB, so page file is still use a lot. The key to lower the slow-down is to keep the page file (virtual memory) on the fast drive, it does not have to be the same one as the OS, (e.g. OS on HDD, game and page file on SSD). I like the OS to be fast so keep the OS with page files on the fast drive, then the games on slower. (game may load slow but one loaded there no problems).  

1 hour ago, A51UK said:

You find new games still use a lot of RAM sometime more them 8GB, so page file is still use a lot. The key to lower the slow-down is to keep the page file (virtual memory) on the fast drive, it does not have to be the same one as the OS, (e.g. OS on HDD, game and page file on SSD). I like the OS to be fast so keep the OS with page files on the fast drive, then the games on slower. (game may load slow but one loaded there no problems).

Yes, I understand and agree.

My point was that all of those Windows processes unrelated  to the game are loaded in RAM and will be idle for the most part if they have no work to do.

You could always disable non-essential service and startup processes (Sysinternals AutoRuns is useful here) to free up RAM.

If you find that there is a lot of a paging occurring, you'd get more performance benefit by adding more RAM, as constantly paging is a sign of the system being RAM starved.

That's why games and software give minimum system requirements and recommended system requirements.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 7:21 PM, OhioYJ said:

Better? Meh, I guess that depends. I keep my Steam library on a separate drive. That has the advantage of being able to be moved to a new computer or survive a fresh install without issue. So sometimes being on a different drive can have advantages.

Same..I keep my Steam Games on one SSD drive, my microsoft games and others on another drive and my OS on my main m.2 drive..LOL