Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Camera for terrarium surveillance

Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Why not just the Eufy System? Eufy Camera 2 i think its called. https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Security-Wireless-Compatibility-Weatherproof/dp/B07Z35RM2Q

Should fit what you need.

My partner and I have recently moved her pet turtle from her parents' home to our apartment. I'm looking for a solution to have some kind of surveillance system that allows her and me to check in on him remotely to ensure he's doing fine.

These are the requirements it must fulfill:

• No paid subscription service. I'm not buying a product to then continue paying a ransom to a company for my data or for special features they decided to paywall.
  • A means to record footage, preferably at least 24 hours to review his behavior.
  • Remote access to the live video stream, either from a phone or PC.

Some nice-to-haves, but not mandatory requirements:

• Automatic night vision to see what he's doing in the dark.
  • Zooming or rotation.
  • Maybe shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but if you know an ideal contender, please point me towards it regardless of price.

Available infrastructure:

• Ethernet and Wi-Fi (2.5 and 5 GhZ), so it doesn't necessarily have to be wireless.
  • Synology DS420+ as a potential server that runs 24/7.
  • An old Raspberry Pi to MacGuyver a solution.

I seriously have no clue where even to start. I've searched for pet cameras, but a lot of that stuff is geared towards cats and dogs and also often comes with subscriptions. We're not intending to submerge the camera or anything, so it doesn't need to be watertight. I'm open to pretty much any kind of solution here, even unconventional ones like using a car dash cam or something, because those inherently allow continuous recording. Or hell, even something as out there as a dedicated private stream with a webcam that I could tune into from time to time wouldn't be out of the question.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Why not just the Eufy System? Eufy Camera 2 i think its called. https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Security-Wireless-Compatibility-Weatherproof/dp/B07Z35RM2Q

Should fit what you need.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction! I was a bit shocked at the price of the model you recommended, but I looked a bit at their other products and the IndoorCam P24 would fit the bill perfectly.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .