Totally confused about desktop Radeon Vega integrated graphics

Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,
11 minutes ago, Birdmilk said:

- What is going on with AMD's naming? Why is there a random Vega 11?

The Vega 11 isn't random. The 3400G and 2400G used Vega 11 graphics, which has 11 compute units compared to the 7 in the Vega 7 found on the 5600G. However, the older Vega 11 in the older APUs clocks much lower and lacks some performance optimizations, meaning that usually the 5600G's iGPU does better.

- Are they called Radeon Rx Vega or is that another lineup? (I have seen it many combinations)

Radeon RX Vega is typically in reference to the Vega 56 and Vega 64, two graphics cards released by AMD in 2017 that used scaled up versions of the integrated Vega graphics.

- What is the main difference between those generations? If its only performance, is it significant?

7 vs 8 vs 11 aren't generations. It's the number of compute units in the iGPU. Unless you mean a difference between the 3400G and 5600G, in which case, yes, there have been some iGPU optimizations and improvements between the Vega 11 in the 3400G and the Vega 7 in the 5600G that results in the 5600G's Vega 7 actually performing better in most games.

- Are the numbers behind Radeon Vega xx represent anything, like i3 or b550?

It isn't like a model number, either. Instead, as said, the 7 represents the number of compute units.

- Is there a difference between these integrated gpus and the mobile ones like a 4500U apu has, even with the same name?

The mobile ones can have different clock speeds due to the more limited power availability for mobile parts.

I've just built a hard times PC. It has a Ryzen 5 5600G in it, with Vega 7 integrated graphics and obviously no dedicated graphics card (planning to add later). For whatever reason most of the websites don't state what Integrated graphics it has. Usually they just say Radeon Graphics. And this is my first build, so I was pretty overwhelmed by the benchmarks, compatibilities, tests, picking the config etc. So I've just realised that 5600G has Vega 7 graphics, while the 5700G has Vega 8. So I started feeling bad about my choice going with the 5600G and wanted to look up the difference between them. But my lord it is difficult to figure out what is going on.

So my questions are:

- Are they called Radeon Rx Vega or is that another lineup? (I have seen it many combinations)

- What is the main difference between those generations? If its only performance, is it significant?

- Is there a difference between these integrated gpus and the mobile ones like a 4500U apu has, even with the same name?

I tried to clear these things in my head but nobody is super interested in these APU-s as much as other components, so the info is also pretty limited or at least not that precise.

Thanks people!

The Vega 11 isn't random. The 3400G and 2400G used Vega 11 graphics, which has 11 compute units compared to the 7 in the Vega 7 found on the 5600G. However, the older Vega 11 in the older APUs clocks much lower and lacks some performance optimizations, meaning that usually the 5600G's iGPU does better.

Radeon RX Vega is typically in reference to the Vega 56 and Vega 64, two graphics cards released by AMD in 2017 that used scaled up versions of the integrated Vega graphics.

7 vs 8 vs 11 aren't generations. It's the number of compute units in the iGPU. Unless you mean a difference between the 3400G and 5600G, in which case, yes, there have been some iGPU optimizations and improvements between the Vega 11 in the 3400G and the Vega 7 in the 5600G that results in the 5600G's Vega 7 actually performing better in most games.

It isn't like a model number, either. Instead, as said, the 7 represents the number of compute units.

The mobile ones can have different clock speeds due to the more limited power availability for mobile parts.

Vega is just about the only line of graphics chips were the model name/number actually DOES mean something.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Vega is just about the only line of graphics chips were the model name/number actually DOES mean something.

That's an interesting observation. AMD also did that with the FX CPUs: the lead number was the core count. So the 6300 was actually newer than the 8150, but had 6 cores instead of 8.

And yet, it also shows that the number is meaningless for consumers, because the Vega 7 in the 5600G usually outdoes the Vega 11 in the 3400G.

Maybe all GPUs should be named based on the 3D Mark Fire Strike score or something? But that would present its own issues...

At least they aren't like Intel naming schemes

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, YoungBlade said:

That's an interesting observation. AMD also did that with the FX CPUs: the lead number was the core count. So the 6300 was actually newer than the 8150, but had 6 cores instead of 8.

And yet, it also shows that the number is meaningless for consumers, because the Vega 7 in the 5600G usually outdoes the Vega 11 in the 3400G.

In 2017 I wished AMD had used the naming scheme Ryzen 4, Ryzen 6, and Ryzen 8 to match the core count and (less importantly but in keeping with what seemed to amuse them) one-up Intel's Core series. Instead they aped 3/5/7 slavishly because they thought that's what the public "understood" I guess, as if it means something. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16