Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello! I need help with my pc components. If I need to upgrade or downgrade etc.

Welcome to the forums!

Seems like a good system overall. However I would recommend a 650 or 700w PSU for good measure for that GPU (although it's not 100% required). I would also recommend 2x16 or 4x8 gb ram because 64 is more than any gamer could ever need right now. I never get above 26 gb of my 32, and I run multiple VMs while video editing if that gives you an idea of ram usage.

Finally I would recommend another drive, 2tb, can be SATA, NVME, or HDD, doesn't matter. But you may want it for games in the future. 

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

List of my systems:

Main PC:

Spoiler

HP z620 workstation, 2x Xeon e5-2690 v0, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 8x4gb DDR3-1333, 2x 2tb HDD, 1tb boot SATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Linux system:

Spoiler

ProDesk 600 g1 SFF, i5-4590, Quadro k620, 2x4gb DDR3-1333, 64gb boot SSD, 250gb storage HDD from the ewaste pile with many bad sectors, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

XP system:

Spoiler

Compaq DC7600 SFF, Pentium 4 HT 631, MSI GT 210 passive, 2x512m DDR2-667, 80gb Spinmaster HDD

Testbench:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760 board, GameMax VP-600 PSU, 4x 64gb AliExpress SSD (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10), 1tb HDD (storage)

(currently has a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and 4x2gb DDR2-800 but I change its config frequently)

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!

Seems like a good system overall. However I would recommend a 650 or 700w PSU for good measure for that GPU (although it's not 100% required). I would also recommend 2x16 or 4x8 gb ram because 64 is more than any gamer could ever need right now. I never get above 26 gb of my 32, and I run multiple VMs while video editing if that gives you an idea of ram usage.

Finally I would recommend another drive, 2tb, can be SATA, NVME, or HDD, doesn't matter. But you may want it for games in the future. 

Thanks I only put 64 gb of ram for the processor but the stuff isn't in stock so I don't have the components, so it's easier to make a change now than order them and then tweak it if something isn't right

The 64Gb is overkill if you are only gaming and it's a little on the slow side. I'd drop to a 2x8Gb or 2x16Gb kit at 3200MHz or 3600Mhz, Ryzen likes fast RAM.

The best part of that 64Gb of RAM will just be decorative if you don't have a good use case such as heavy video editing, compiling code or something like that.

The 980 Pro is a great drive but is also overkill unless you're moving huge files such as 4k or 8k video. Games and most modern applications just can't take advantage of the PCIe Gen4 speeds. You could drop to a cheaper drive and have enough money to put a second one in.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, KaTaLy5t-87 said:

The 64Gb is overkill if you are only gaming and it's a little on the slow side. I'd drop to a 2x8Gb or 2x16Gb kit at 3200MHz or 3600Mhz, Ryzen likes fast RAM.

The best part of that 64Gb of RAM will just be decorative if you don't have a good use case such as heavy video editing, compiling code or something like that.

The 980 Pro is a great drive but is also overkill unless you're moving huge files such as 4k or 8k video. Games and most modern applications just can't take advantage of the PCIe Gen4 speeds. You could drop to a cheaper drive and have enough money to put a second one in.

Should I get a crucial ballistix or some other brands that may improve the cpu performance

Also is it ok to have like 2x8gigs and leave 2 empty? They seem like I need to put 4 of them to squish the best performance possible

Edited by Italii
stuff

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

This list needs lots of work, but we need more info.

what is your country?

what is your budget?

What parts do you already own?

1 Italy

2 1500$ atleast

3 I'm getting a list to order them in a month or so because of components being too overpriced at the moment

We also NEED to know what kind of work you will be doing with this computer. For example 64 gigs of ram may not be overkill for very specific render workloads to my knowledge.( 3 gb of ram per thread). If you are buying this for gaming ram would be overkill. 

İf you will be gaming I would suggest getting a 5600x cpu instead. Dont buy a 2080 ti unless you are buying it second hand. Just go find a 3070 if you can or a 3080 if you are rich! To my knowledge in europe 3070 is findable. 

15 hours ago, kamisis12 said:

We also NEED to know what kind of work you will be doing with this computer. For example 64 gigs of ram may not be overkill for very specific render workloads to my knowledge.( 3 gb of ram per thread). If you are buying this for gaming ram would be overkill. 

İf you will be gaming I would suggest getting a 5600x cpu instead. Dont buy a 2080 ti unless you are buying it second hand. Just go find a 3070 if you can or a 3080 if you are rich! To my knowledge in europe 3070 is findable. 

Unfortunatley the 3000 series from Nvidia have really unstable prices so I won't get one until a 3060ti (if it ever) drops  at it's original price.

Also pc part picker is saying that I might need a bios update for the B550 motherboard as it may lead to swapping cpu etc.