Desktop icons not staying in same view

Paul Rudd
Go to solution Solved by Avocado Diaboli,

Check if your folder is set to a specific type, Windows offers 5 preset types. You can see them if you look at the properties of the folder:

fft_6.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=000&pad=1,1

Typically, a specific type of folder will have a preferred icon size. You can also override those defaults in the folder options. First, set the view of your folder like you want it to look like. Then in the menu ribbon, go to View -> Options and then switch to the View tab. There you can apply the settings of your current folder to the type it's set to. One thing to keep in mind is that this sets the view settings for this particular folder type system wide, so any folder of the same type will now look the same. 

hti3.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=000&pad=1,1

Another thing that might be happening is that Windows is running out of cache. Typically, it should remember what you've set your folder view to regardless of what type you've set it to, but apparently, there's a default limit of 5000 folders it keeps track of. You can increase that limit in the registry. Here's a guide on how to do that: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-forgets-folder-view-settings

Basically I have two folders on my desktop. One I store my most played game shortcuts and the other I store application/launcher shortcuts.

The thing is, I set the view of the icons by right clicking within the folder and going to View, then Medium icons. But then when I exit the folders and revisit them later, the view is changed to Small icons or List or Details(not sure which one but they all look the same).

So my question is, how do I keep them in Medium icons so when I revisit the folders they stay in Medium icons.

I've had tiny things like this going on for years and just never thought to figure them out.

Check if your folder is set to a specific type, Windows offers 5 preset types. You can see them if you look at the properties of the folder:

fft_6.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=000&pad=1,1

Typically, a specific type of folder will have a preferred icon size. You can also override those defaults in the folder options. First, set the view of your folder like you want it to look like. Then in the menu ribbon, go to View -> Options and then switch to the View tab. There you can apply the settings of your current folder to the type it's set to. One thing to keep in mind is that this sets the view settings for this particular folder type system wide, so any folder of the same type will now look the same. 

hti3.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=000&pad=1,1

Another thing that might be happening is that Windows is running out of cache. Typically, it should remember what you've set your folder view to regardless of what type you've set it to, but apparently, there's a default limit of 5000 folders it keeps track of. You can increase that limit in the registry. Here's a guide on how to do that: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-forgets-folder-view-settings

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

10 hours ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

Check if your folder is set to a specific type

For some reason, the icons have stayed in the Medium view for the past few days. Thanks for all this information though, I'll definitely try it out if the icons start changing views again. Went ahead and marked it as solved.