Hey I wanted to get into game developing by my self as a side project for fun

Lia_owo

Hey, so I've been wanting a side project for fun to make a strategy game, somewhat like rise of kingdoms/civ6 and i was wondering what game engine should i use? if anyone got any tips.

Another question is if i should even bother with doing this?

ATM im just learning networking and i thought this would be fun doing this project but my brother who got gave me his course told me its a waste of time and the game dev wont teach me anything *im sorry if this offends anyone* i just wanted to know if im doing a mistake by trying this

thx

17 minutes ago, Lia_owo said:

Hey, so I've been wanting a side project for fun to make a strategy game, somewhat like rise of kingdoms/civ6 and i was wondering what game engine should i use? if anyone got any tips.

Another question is if i should even bother with doing this?

ATM im just learning networking and i thought this would be fun doing this project but my brother who got gave me his course told me its a waste of time and the game dev wont teach me anything *im sorry if this offends anyone* i just wanted to know if im doing a mistake by trying this

thx

What are you doing to learn networking?

Also I wanted to learn game design about a decade ago and used GameMaker 7. GameMaker Studio now a days is an awesome program and super easy to learn and make basic to advanced games with. I'd check it out.

Data Systems Administrator | Sergeant - US Marine Corps | CCNA / SEC+

Ryzen 9 5950x | 64 GB DDR4 3600Mhz | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti | Full Build Info | HomeLab Setup

I would say Godot or Unity, they have both a decent amount of tutorials and information for people without experience. Godot is better at 2D than at 3D, and Unity have a lot of assets ready to be used if that matters to you. Unreal Engine is also an option, but it might be more complicated to learn.

If you're doing it for fun, why would it be a waste of time? If you don't have any objective to start doing it other than just learning it and having fun, it probably isn't a waste of time for you.

about what im learning in networking, the basics of protocols and cmd commands, its from a course my brother took a while ago. Soon i will pay for a full course on an academy i like. 

also out of them all i was looking at Godot, the game i want to make ill attempt doing it with hexagons and Godot looks pretty user friendly, the only thing im worried about is if ill be limited at one point.

also yeah thats what i was thinking im also a bit confused trying to learn networking on my own since i finished his course so atm im on hold

If you keep focused on the process for making a certain feature/mechanic work, then I doubt you'll be limiting yourself if you go with a specific engine like Godot.

What I mean by that, is if you can remember that you need to do X Y Z in your code then you should be fine.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

5 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

If you keep focused on the process for making a certain feature/mechanic work, then I doubt you'll be limiting yourself if you go with a specific engine like Godot.

What I mean by that, is if you can remember that you need to do X Y Z in your code then you should be fine.

thank you this really helps, im still very new in godot and ive been watching a lot of tutorials so i understand more now
but thx ♥

On 8/30/2021 at 8:04 AM, Lia_owo said:

thank you this really helps, im still very new in godot and ive been watching a lot of tutorials so i understand more now
but thx ♥

I believe that Unity is easier to work with,and there are a lot of assets available for learning and help with development..

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

12 hours ago, Vishera said:

I believe that Unity is easier to work with,and there are a lot of assets available for learning and help with development..

i kinda stopped working on it because im so busy with work and trying to learn networking
ill give unity a try tho if godot doesnt work for me although i just some small indie game

I made a Colonization clone maybe 2 decade ago in VB6 using only GDI by drawing bitmap in a picture box. No knowledge required other than the method to draw into a bmp. Although it was lock at 30 fps.