ATH- M50

habiba29

Hi am Ali and I've recently joined the forum. I bought my m50's about 1 year ago and I thought I would share my experience.

Build quality - The build quality maybe not as good as beats headphones but they are by no meens bad, they use plastic for the design expect for the extendable arms which are plastic with a thick metal on them. You may think wow plastic but honestly it's probably the most durable and most expensive plastic lol. The foam padding for the head is extremely soft and comfortable.

Packing - The packaging was fairly simple it arrived in a box with ATH branding on it. In the box I received a amp jack and a carrying pouch. The box was nothing special but was enough to deliver the product unharmed.

Accessories - They include a carrying pouch and a amp jack. The jack screws on so it is very durable and sturdy

Sound- WOW these headphones are amazing when it comes to sound. When you play a song it like the musician is sitting right next to you. There are no tinny voices or crappy lows or highs its very even and natural. Yes there is a huge base background blessing your ears but there is instead a very gentle but noticeable bass. Make sure you buy a seperate amp if you want to see the best of these as phones do not really have enough power to really make them shine but saying that I stopped using mi fiio as it got too fiddly. You have to remember that these headphones are studio headphones which are made by a proper audiophile company that makes quality products so they don't really market there products as they are instead for a more pro level unlike some other company's lol.

What I don't like.

I don't like the tight fiting of the cans which usually make my ears sweat also the cable is non removable which would make it difficult to replace if the cable decided to break.

The fit - like I said before the headphones can make my ears sweat after a which and make them itch which is annoying. But other than that the headphones fit anyone from a big head to a small head.

Additional notes-The wire is soooooo long you can buy to models the m50s and m50. The m50 is a straight wire Which is HUGE I bought the non s which is plenty. The wire is coiled up but on me (I am 6ft 1) the straight bit is enough to get to my pocket with a huge bit to coiled wire still to go so nobody should be worried about the length. Also the headphones are so durable, mines spend there days on the floor of my room, I step on them kick them and throw them but they are perfectly fine the only thing wrong with mines are that the jack is bent slightly to the left but they still work lol.

For anymore questions feel free to post them and I'll try my best to reply. :)

6ft and presumably a female holy crap (sorry if you are male but ali is female alot of times)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Cool, thanks for the info ad glad your enjoying them! :P

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

6ft and presumably a female holy crap (sorry if you are male but ali is female alot of times)

Hah yeah I get that a lot no I am a male and it's an Arabic name as I am a Muslim lol but am from Scotland so people always say your name must be alistar as ali is a girls name ;)

Hah yeah I get that a lot no I am a male and it's an Arabic name as I am a Muslim lol but am from Scotland so people always say your name must be alistar as ali is a girls name ;)

that makes much more sense sorry for the confusion i went to your profile but it said not telling so i took a shot in the dark.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Decent review, although the m50's barely benefit from amping - from personal experiance.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

that makes much more sense sorry for the confusion i went to your profile but it said not telling so i took a shot in the dark.

Lol it's ok I just joined I need to change a few things

Lol it's ok I just joined I need to change a few things

oh well welcome then 

Decent review, although the m50's barely benefit from amping - from personal experiance.

Hmm I guess it's really got to do with what type of music your listening to.

oh well welcome then

Hah thanks :)

Hah thanks :)

no problem

Hmm I guess it's really got to do with what type of music your listening to.

No it doesn't. I use purely flac audio tracks, I tried it on onboard sound, fiio e10 and an o2/odac combo. The dac obviously helps vs the onboard audio but that's for any cheap gear. The actual amp itself makes barely any difference. It's low impedance so it's to be expected. They still sound pretty good for the money.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

No it doesn't. I use purely flac audio tracks, I tried it on onboard sound, fiio e10 and an o2/odac combo. The dac obviously helps vs the onboard audio but that's for any cheap gear. The actual amp itself makes barely any difference. It's low impedance so it's to be expected. They still sound pretty good for the money.

ah that could be why lol i dont use flac as they are way to big for my liking as i only have a 16 gig iphone but hopefully in the future i want to upgrade it to something that can support flac natively but yeah i should have said that am not really a audiophile but hopefully i could be one day lol

I have one myself and they sound awesome despite using onboard sound, hopefully when i get the Asus Xonar Essence STX, it would enhance the sound even more.

I have one myself and they sound awesome despite using onboard sound, hopefully when i get the Asus Xonar Essence STX, it would enhance the sound even more.

Tell me how it sounds once you get it :P

Planning to buy one myself but i don't know if the sound card is worth the money, especially on M50s

Tell me how it sounds once you get it :P

Planning to buy one myself but i don't know if the sound card is worth the money, especially on M50s

Looking at the end of the year if your willing to wait.

Looking at the end of the year if your willing to wait.

Sure, my next rig is probably end of next year.

Planning too far ahead op :P

Nice review, great to see you like them. I bought a pair myself about a year ago, I ended up doing a  detachable cable mod as I found the cable was a bit long.

e649fba4-9ad6-4106-bca2-30ef2c6747cf_zps

Personally, I really dig their sound; a good amount of precise bass not the muddy kind you'll find on so many models, rich mids and relatively clear highs that are easy on the ears. Great headphones for all kinds of rock and metal, or guitar monitoring.

What I really don't like about them, is that they put an enormous of pressure on the frame of my eyeglasses. After wearing them around 2 hours, I can't stand them anymore. Also, the cable is really sturdy, but so f***ing thick you can pretty much forget about using them with your portable media player or whatever.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Right now I have California Headphones Laredos and I love them (might do a review one of these days) but they are made for mainly country, folk, blue grass, rock, hard rock and metal so the bass is nerfed and I am looking for headphones that can play just about anything with great qaulity. I will tell you though you can hear every guitar string with these things and I love em

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

My m50's have been a great investment, they were (at the time of purchase) the perfect balance of price and performance, They aren't noise canceling headphones, but with some tunes going, they completely drown out my roommate, which is a Godsend. I fully endorse these headphones, especially if you can get them on sale.

One caveat however. They are quite large. If you have a small head, I do not think you would enjoy them.

@Horus: You are absolutely right about the cable thickness and general bulk. I originally purchased them for use with my PC but also I thought to use them with my iPod. Total fail. went back to my terrible and uncomfortable earbuds right away. The sound is there, but they just aren't very portable.

PC hardware still on a budget, 2 graduate degrees later.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 780

• 2 weeks later...

I own a pair of these too, totally agree with that review, they do my my ears hot, but the sound quality is AWESOME. I have the straight cable version, and yeah. Its a REALLY long cable.

This may sound silly, but take off the ear pads, roll a little bit of toilet paper and put it around the speakers with tape, and then put back on the ear pads. This made mine a little bit more comfortable.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

My favorite m50 youtube review, hands down.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I also have the ath m50, I really like the sound but they are not comfortable for me. I can't use them for more than 15 minutes without them start being painful... I have a large ear and the ear cup is relatively small for an over the ear headphones.

That's why I'll be very careful next time I buy an over the ear headphone...