Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5800X 106 Degerese water cooled!?!?!

Go to solution Solved by TheNuzziNuzz,

Reseated the CPU & re-applied thermal paste and max temps are ~70 under load, ~46 idle. 

Thanks!

I just installed an Arctic Freezer II 360. I'm worried I made a mistake. Idle temps are ~45 deg. Running cinebench pushes the temps to about 106 (107 max) on the Package according to HWMonitor CPUID. This is while the rest of the system is idle. The part that feels weird to me is the air from the radiator fans doesn't even feel hot & it is receiving cool air. Could I have not used enough thermal paste? What do I check? What kinds of temps should I be expecting?

I tried moving my radiator & fans all around in different configurations in my case. This one so far is the coolest for both CPU and GPUs.

I SWEAR I didn't leave the plastic on....kind of sounds like it though from the symptoms. I'm thinking I didn't apply enough thermal paste? I used half of the tube that came with the cooler in the box.

Computers r fun

3 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I SWEAR I didn't leave the plastic on....kind of sounds like it though from the symptoms. I'm thinking I didn't apply enough thermal paste? I used half of the tube that came with the cooler in the box.

Well firstly, you never want your thermal paste to be too thick. Thin even film. Secondly, try to reseat it, and apply even pressure to each of the screw. If your block pressure is too high or too low itll cause your thermals to be erratic. Just make sure its handtight, it doesnt need that much torque, and remember to screw it in criss cross pattern slowly and preferably in turns until all screw is handtight.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

4 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Well firstly, you never want your thermal paste to be too thick. Thin even film. Secondly, try to reseat it, and apply even pressure to each of the screw. If your block pressure is too high or too low itll cause your thermals to be erratic. Just make sure its handtight, it doesnt need that much torque, and remember to screw it in criss cross pattern slowly and preferably in turns until all screw is handtight.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to reseat it. I've installed about a dozen CPUs before, this is my first time air cooling. I got worse idle - but better load temps with my Hyper 212 evo VS what's happening right now.

The only thing I think I didn't do correctly probably was crisscross pattern. They are strongly hand-tight.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

They are strongly hand-tight.

Well i said just handtight. You dont want to give far too many pressure either.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

- Clock Girl

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

8 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Well i said just handtight. You dont want to give far too many pressure either.

Also, is it normal with water cooling to see sudden spikes in temperature? Top is 100% CPU usage & 100 Degrease.

As you can see, a sudden spike to 20% CPU usage causes the temp to go from 44 to 51 in under a second, then to 53 after another second.

image.png.4cecf0bfd1996c1bc9f85ac5de7c0f89.png

Computers r fun

Degrees celcius of fahrenheit? Because at 106c that system should have just shut off.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Too much thermal paste doesn't matter. With an aio you want really good pressure so it's key that you do give it a little extra tightness with the screwdriver but of course not too much that could flex the motherbaord.

Op is your pump even running? As these temps are odd. Maybe you need to go into your bios and up the pump speed or if you have a pump header on your board plug it in there.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Too much thermal paste doesn't matter.

Well it will for cleaning, im just saying it should not be a habit to advocate.

- Clock Girl

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

4 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

You did make it sound like an issue for cooling which it isn't but yeah it can be awful to clean up when someone puts an entire tube on the cpu :p.

hmmm if no issue on thermal paste & block mounting, can u check the voltages? 

also is pbo enable? 

I know for my cpu, in stock form it reach 80 plus Celsius... then I undervolt it to 1.2v without losing performance and temps only max around 65c

Ryzen 3600 + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro | Corsair XD5 | Bykski 280 30mm + 360 40mm rads | Barrow/Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow | AudioTechnica AD700 + Fiio K3
5 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

hmmm if no issue on thermal paste & block mounting, can u check the voltages? 

also is pbo enable? 

I know for my cpu, in stock form it reach 80 plus Celsius... then I undervolt it to 1.2v without losing performance and temps only max around 65c

What is PBO? I have no idea how to use my moterhboard's OC settings. There is so many more options compared to my old intel system.

Computers r fun

3 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

What is PBO? I have no idea how to use my moterhboard's OC settings. There is so many more options compared to my old intel system.

PBO is in the BIOS setting, similar to intel turbo boost

when operating temps are low, it allows the ryzen to draw more voltage & might clock higher (hence the higher temp)

https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/AMD-Curve-Optimizer-For-Ryzen-5000-Desktop-CPUs-Tested-on-MSI-B450-Motherboards-AGESA-1.1.0.0-Patch-D-_1.png

u can also use ryzen master to tweak the settings around before u commit the changes in your BIOS

Ryzen 3600 + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro | Corsair XD5 | Bykski 280 30mm + 360 40mm rads | Barrow/Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow | AudioTechnica AD700 + Fiio K3

Reseated the CPU & re-applied thermal paste and max temps are ~70 under load, ~46 idle. 

Thanks!

Computers r fun

• 2 weeks later...

Idles still appear pretty high, even though your load temps are OK.

On 8/24/2021 at 11:22 PM, SorryClaire said:

To much paste doesnt really matter besides making a big mess, that ones been put to bed

CPU Ryzen 5800x, Mobo MSI Meg ACE X570, GPU ASUS 6800 TUF, Ram Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3200 mhz, Case Corsair 7000D, Cooling Custom Loop Primarily Corsair Hydro X, Corsair k95, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, LG OLED48C1

2 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

matter besides making a big mess

So you gonna necro a forum post just to correct something ive clarified? Brilliant.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:49 PM, SorryClaire said:

- Clock Girl

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights