3080 ftw ultra low gpu useage and performance

soulslayeroo

Hello I installed my EVGA 3080 video card yesterday, I notice performance  wasn't near what I was expecting,  After looking into msi afterburner I noticed my gpu useage is going between 60 t0 90 % I tested bf5 and warzone and same issue,  I have tried basically everything and anything that I could find on the Internet on YouTube and it's on YouTube and so on,  I have checked that v sync is off and any frame limiting settings within games, fps can bounce around alot could get 120 could get 180 or dip to 67 or so.

I have also used ddu 2 times to reset Nvidia drivers 

Any other tips would  Is appreciated

Was thinking to do a system reset at this point 

System specs 

I9 11900k @5.1gz

32gb corsair ram @ 3200

1000watt plat corsair psu 

Asus rog motherborad z590

Gpu 3080 evga ftw 

M.2 ssd samsung 

Monitor rog asus 165hz 1440

Windows 10

Thats just how those games are, they arent optimized well. You arent going to be able to get perfect running games every time, especially Shooter games like COD and BF, they tend to have dips, especially when theres a lot of players in one place of a map and such.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Thats just how those games are, they arent optimized well. You arent going to be able to get perfect running games every time, especially Shooter games like COD and BF, they tend to have dips, especially when theres a lot of players in one place of a map and such.

So your saying it's normal to hace the gpu to be running at 60%useage ? And getting 120 fps, my 980ti I was getting 82 fps 

Just now, soulslayeroo said:

So your saying it's normal to hace the gpu to be running at 60%useage ? And getting 120 fps, my 980ti I was getting 82 fps 

yup. Some games just run on low utilization, whereas some games go to 98% and such. Obviously Some settings should be tinkered with, as the settings you used on your 980ti and your 3080 will be different if you allow Auto Adjusting in the settings. 

Generally speaking you just have to fix the settings in game and always make sure they are properly working. Its better to test with other games, COD and BF are kinda similar enough to not get a good ideal. 3D Mark Can Help but its not the end all be all, but you will see just how much of a performance difference there is between your 980ti from 2015 and the 3080 🙂 

15 minutes ago, soulslayeroo said:

no, its not normal in those games. 

Not really sure what's causing this though. 

Couple things to check... 

Make sure you're not using Power Saving mode in Windows. 

But more importantly... How is your graphics card powered by your PSU? 

Are you using one cable that's split on the end or separate cable for each separated connector on the card? 

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

no, its not normal in those games. 

Not really sure what's causing this though. 

Couple things to check... 

Make sure you're not using Power Saving mode in Windows. 

But more importantly... How is your graphics card powered by your PSU? 

Are you using one cable that's split on the end or separate cable for each separated connector on the card? 

This will be a little hard to explain,  I have a modular power supply, I have 2 cables coming out of it for power from the power supply, Each cable has like 4 connection points, I am useing 2 of those 4 connection  points and 1 from the other cable, I also have sleeved external cables 

16298604222784306098816625975806.jpg

whats the power limit and power draw on the gpu when ur hitting those dips.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

8 minutes ago, xg32 said:

whats the power limit and power draw on the gpu when ur hitting those dips.

I was running a benchmark on 3d mark and it mostly hit 100% just one dip during test, but I was at 380 watts peak, I went ahead and redid my wiring, I had 3 pci 8 pins coming from thr psu, but I had 4 8 pin  Extensions, as I was running sli 980ti before the 3080, I believe it's possible I had 2 8 pin extensions coming off the same 8 pin from the psu, long story short I now have the 8 pins from the psu directly and each on there own cable 

52 minutes ago, soulslayeroo said:

This will be a little hard to explain,  I have a modular power supply, I have 2 cables coming out of it for power from the power supply, Each cable has like 4 connection points, I am useing 2 of those 4 connection  points and 1 from the other cable, I also have sleeved external cables 

16298604222784306098816625975806.jpg

That should be fine then... probably... depending on how the power on the card is distributed. 

For example:

Two 8pins may power mostly the VRM for the GPU and 3rd one mostly VRAM. 

If your cable with two connectors is plugged to those two ones that power GPU then that's not really ideal and may lead to lower performance due to not enough powers supplied to the card via single cable. 

3000 series has huge power spikes so this may be the issue. 

I'm not saying this is your problem but doesn't hurt to try separate cable for each power plug just in case. 

If that didn't help then its most likely some driver issue or something in your OS. 

edit... 

nvm it took me so long to write this that you already tried it 😄

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

That should be fine then... probably... depending on how the power on the card is distributed. 

For example:

If your cable with two connectors is plugged to those two ones that power GPU then that's not really ideal and may lead to lower performance due to not enough powers supplied to the card via single cable. 

I'm not saying this is your problem but doesn't hurt to try separate cable for each power plug just in case. 

If that didn't help then its most likely some driver issue or something in your OS. 

edit... 

Have not powered on yet lol but we will see

Just now, soulslayeroo said:

Have not powered on yet lol but we will see

16298637041034463820648879181512.jpg

1 hour ago, Shimejii said:

Thats just how those games are, they arent optimized well. Shooter games like COD and BF, they tend to have dips, especially when theres a lot of players in one place of a map and such.

10900K stock, 3200Mhz XMP and 2080ti at 165-200fps in Downtown disagrees with your statement..

Have you tested it yourself.?????

Zero drops below 165fps on an Old OS...

OP has something else at play...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

10900K stock, 3200Mhz XMP and 2080ti at 165-200fps in Downtown disagrees with your statement..

Have you tested it yourself.?????

Zero drops below 165fps on an Old OS...

OP has something else at play...

Same thing I was thinking cards shouldn't  drop below 95,% at best I had a  Is a similar issue with the 970 back in the day with the whole 4gb card that was really 3.5 gb 

32 minutes ago, WereCat said:

For example:

edit... 

Nope didn't fix it 😕 gpu useage still all over the place

20210824_222437.jpg

20210824_222441.jpg

When you go to NVIDIA Control Panel - > Manage 3d Settings

not sure the exact name of the setting since I'm not at home but you can set your card to "Always use max performance". Does that help? 

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

When you go to NVIDIA Control Panel - > Manage 3d Settings

not sure the exact name of the setting since I'm not at home but you can set your card to "Always use max performance". Does that help? 

Yes I currently  have it on max performance, and no it has not also have power management  in windows to performance  too

2 minutes ago, soulslayeroo said:

Yes I currently  have it on max performance, and no it has not also have power management  in windows to performance  too

16298668028934782700319773882973.jpg

Is the usage also limited in benchmarks? 

Edit:

I know you already used DDU but maybe try again and this time install a bit older driver, do a custom install without GFExperience. 

Curious if it's CPU related. Wonder what would happen if you dropped you CPU oc a bit. 

Are you monitoring your CPU heat and clocks in game?

16 minutes ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Curious if it's CPU related. Wonder what would happen if you dropped you CPU oc a bit. 

Are you monitoring your CPU heat and clocks in game?

Temps are great cpu is with in 55c and gpu is in the same range. And cpu clocks are stable never move from 5.1, I could try to go back to stock to see what happens I have a screemshot of bfv above 

21 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Is the usage also limited in benchmarks? 

Edit:

I know you already used DDU but maybe try again and this time install a bit older driver, do a custom install without GFExperience. 

In 3d mark it was fine was getting 99 to 100 

3 minutes ago, soulslayeroo said:

Temps are great cpu is with in 55c and gpu is in the same range. And cpu clocks are stable never move from 5.1, I could try to go back to stock to see what happens I have a screemshot of bfv above 

Hmm, just curious if the inconsistent fps might be CPU related. No background software that could be messing with it? 

Also, gsync? 

1 minute ago, MadGoatHaz said:

Hmm, just curious if the inconsistent fps might be CPU related. No background software that could be messing with it? 

Also, gsync? 

I do have g sync, and pretty much everything is disabled, besides gaming software for mouse and keybored and msi afterburner

1 minute ago, soulslayeroo said:

I do have g sync, and pretty much everything is disabled, besides gaming software for mouse and keybored and msi afterburner

Is the XMP on RAM enabled? Does it actually run at 3200MT/s?