Lag in all games and even on desktop?

Hi!

I have had a problem with my PC for many years that basicly all games lag and i think even maybe on the desktop.

Its not a constant lag but the game plays smoothly and perfect and then suddenly it has one big lag and i drop maybe 6-10 FPS and then its all fine again and this repeats often.

Its VERY noticable when it happens.

Im not sure if its connected but my mouse lag on my desktop and if i say move it around in a circle it will noticably lag in a similair way as described above.

The lag percists in both old games and new no matter what kind of graphics(super good or bad).

I have also gradually upgraded my computer and reinstalled it while this has been happening and it still persists.

If possible i do not want to take it apart in a major way to begin with.

I have tried to solve this myself several times to no avail.

I dont know if im describing the problem well but i would love to get som help with this since its been anoying me for so long.

My specs are

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E-Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

NVIDIA RTX 2080 MSI SeaHawk

Corsair 3200Mhz 16GB x2 (2 sticks)

Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB (For OS)

Corsair 750watt PSU (Not sure exactly what model but it was bought recently)

Windows 10 x64

If you need any more info just tell me.

Would love some help,

Thanks.

Could actually be lag possibly (lag is an internet connection related slowdown) periodic is odd.  Implies some sort of outside force which could be isp stuff.  Everything with computers is periodic but the period is generally fractions of a second.  Unnoticeable.  Could also be a refrigerator compressor or something making emf though. So many possibilities.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

If its happening in everything my 1st thoughts would be that you do not have enough HD space spare (20%) or that you have a dodgy sata lead.

Do you still get the lag drop if you set the max fps to 60 or even 30 in games?

11 hours ago, GCandy77 said:

If its happening in everything my 1st thoughts would be that you do not have enough HD space spare (20%) or that you have a dodgy sata lead.

Do you still get the lag drop if you set the max fps to 60 or even 30 in games?

Thank you for the reply!

I have tried switching HDD and its the same unfortunatly.

I used to have a normal SSD and not i have an M.2.

FPS limit do not matter or graphic settings.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Could actually be lag possibly (lag is an internet connection related slowdown) periodic is odd.  Implies some sort of outside force which could be isp stuff.  Everything with computers is periodic but the period is generally fractions of a second.  Unnoticeable.  Could also be a refrigerator compressor or something making emf though. So many possibilities.

Than kyou for the reply!

Hmm... Internet connection dont seem to matter and i moved a year ago which didnt help.

I also had my computer at a friends house wich also didnt help.

24 minutes ago, Matrim91 said:

Than kyou for the reply!

Hmm... Internet connection dont seem to matter and i moved a year ago which didnt help.

I also had my computer at a friends house wich also didnt help.

Both me and @GCandy77 struck out then?  Hmm.  Gonna be something internal or peripheral based then.  Let’s try the weird one as it’s simple.  Any firmware or driver updates available for whatever peripherals you use?  Make that everything since we’re playing.  Also got any overclocked anything?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Both me and @GCandy77 struck out then?  Hmm.  Gonna be something internal or peripheral based then.  Let’s try the weird one as it’s simple.  Any firmware or driver updates available for whatever peripherals you use?  Make that everything since we’re playing.  Also got any overclocked anything?

Thank you for the reply!

I dont think anything is out of date.

I Have an Xbox Elite controller, wireless headset, mouse and keyboard plugged in and nothing else.

I havent installed any drivers to them and go by the automatic ones.

The only thing i have changed in BIOS is the clock speed for the memory which is rated for 3200.

Have have tried the standard setting but it doesnt help either.

One test i have done once is to just put in a new harddrive with a clean install with nothing extra installed and just one game which ofc didnt help...

This is a while ago though.

Just now, GCandy77 said:

Do you still get lag drops when you limit the games to 60 or 30 fps?

Yes i do unfortunatly.

I could be a faulty GPU ... Are you able to stick another GPU to test it out?

I`d also take out 1 stick of RAM and re-seat the other, test & then swap for the other just in case one of the stick has gone or its not seated correctly.

Best way to diagnose a Issue it just to remove as much Hw as u can one stage at a time or boot into a completely different Os ( like PopOs ) just incase it windoze.

But in all honestly .. It sounds hw releated ... Ring a mate ... borrow their GPU for the night .. give them a few beers for the hassle ... maybe even get them round to help diagnose 😉  

Edit ... what is the motherboard?

Also .. you do not need to switch HDD, M2 .. whatever ... just make sure u have at least 20% spare so that windows can use its cache properly - also make sure you havent played with that in the past too ( u may have changed something n forgotton (I do that 😇))

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10

5 hours ago, Matrim91 said:

Thank you for the reply!

I dont think anything is out of date.

I Have an Xbox Elite controller, wireless headset, mouse and keyboard plugged in and nothing else.

I havent installed any drivers to them and go by the automatic ones.

The only thing i have changed in BIOS is the clock speed for the memory which is rated for 3200.

Have have tried the standard setting but it doesnt help either.

One test i have done once is to just put in a new harddrive with a clean install with nothing extra installed and just one game which ofc didnt help...

This is a while ago though.

Might want to check to be sure.  Emphasis on the non in-the-machine stuff like keyboards and mice.  That stuff comes out irregularly.

5 hours ago, Matrim91 said:

I Have an Xbox Elite controller

how is it connected to the pc?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 hours ago, GCandy77 said:

I could be a faulty GPU ... Are you able to stick another GPU to test it out?

I`d also take out 1 stick of RAM and re-seat the other, test & then swap for the other just in case one of the stick has gone or its not seated correctly.

Best way to diagnose a Issue it just to remove as much Hw as u can one stage at a time or boot into a completely different Os ( like PopOs ) just incase it windoze.

But in all honestly .. It sounds hw releated ... Ring a mate ... borrow their GPU for the night .. give them a few beers for the hassle ... maybe even get them round to help diagnose 😉  

Edit ... what is the motherboard?

Thank you for the reply!

I have tried this with an older GPU i have a GTX 275 and it didnt help.

I have also tried as you said to remove everything and boot into a new OS.

I just dont know what to do at this point...

My motherboard is ASUS ROG Strix X570-E-Gaming

18 hours ago, GCandy77 said:

Also .. you do not need to switch HDD, M2 .. whatever ... just make sure u have at least 20% spare so that windows can use its cache properly - also make sure you havent played with that in the past too ( u may have changed something n forgotton (I do that 😇))

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-virtual-memory-size-windows-10

Thank you for the reply!

It has free space so it should be fine.

Its also brand new. I bought it becouse of these problems in hope that it would help.

17 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

how is it connected to the pc?

Thank you for the reply!

Its connected wirelessly and also by cord.

I only use the wire to charge it with though.

I have tried to remove it but it doesnt help.

Also forgot to write that i sent in the Motherboard with the CPU and RAM for testing and all was fine.

we had some few super weird cases with micro stutter here. 

you checked with a different GPU and still had the Problem, Congratulations we now know that it has to be  Power supply, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, mouse or Keyboard. that is good. 

but first thinks first

0.1 Before we do all this, (weird case) do you got a gaming mouse or Keyboard with a software installed? 
and could you please check if the pulling rate (not sure if the right english word) is set below 1000, best would be 500 or less. 

image.png.2684f50fded52be15859a454d28cfa16.png

1. check if your ram is in dual mode

- install CPU-Z 

- check in memore - Channel # dual (right upper corner)

image.png.45017781ea26cd99c49b1e183c1bfb4f.png

- is it the right speed? 
DRAM Frequency 1600 should be yours. 

if not 

go into your BIOS and activate XMP Profile. 

2. do you have the latest BIOS update? 

- or a more resent one. 

3. I had a weird case with a M.2 ssd not plugged in fully, 

so your motherboard should have a second m.2 slot.  do you feel comfortable to plug it in there? 

don't do everything at once just do one and test it and then the other one. 

good luck 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

22 hours ago, SamClan said:

we had some few super weird cases with micro stutter here. 

you checked with a different GPU and still had the Problem, Congratulations we now know that it has to be  Power supply, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, mouse or Keyboard. that is good. 

but first thinks first

0.1 Before we do all this, (weird case) do you got a gaming mouse or Keyboard with a software installed? 
and could you please check if the pulling rate (not sure if the right english word) is set below 1000, best would be 500 or less. 

image.png.2684f50fded52be15859a454d28cfa16.png

1. check if your ram is in dual mode

- install CPU-Z 

- check in memore - Channel # dual (right upper corner)

image.png.45017781ea26cd99c49b1e183c1bfb4f.png

- is it the right speed? 
DRAM Frequency 1600 should be yours. 

if not 

go into your BIOS and activate XMP Profile. 

2. do you have the latest BIOS update? 

- or a more resent one. 

3. I had a weird case with a M.2 ssd not plugged in fully, 

so your motherboard should have a second m.2 slot.  do you feel comfortable to plug it in there? 

don't do everything at once just do one and test it and then the other one. 

good luck 

Hi!

Thank you for the answer!

I have never bothered to install drivers for mice or keyboard.

I have an ASUS Cerberus mouse and a mechanical Logitech keyboard G610.

How do i check the pulling rate? Im not sure what it is.

Here is a pic for my memoery on CPU-Z

bild.png.7b1d096a0c80e1fa970479962de95a5d.png

I did not find an XMP setting but another one i activated a couple of days ago named D.O.C.P.

I installed the latest BIOS a couple of days ago too 4005

I have already swapped the harddrive from a normal SSD to the M.2 and the problem remains.

Here is some more info from CPU-Z

bild.png.35d146c94ee097efc71bfb59554c7f87.png

bild.png.f5d07597c87500ad1940f900d6c71a95.png

bild.png.ea70bec2b40bcaf68bd8f301ad740778.png

D.O.C.P. is XMP. 

polling rate it is, sorry. this is the amount of times it refreshes its position (mouse). there are a few cases which leads to micro stutter if the polling rate is to high. 

have you loaded your default settings after bios update?

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

43 minutes ago, SamClan said:

D.O.C.P. is XMP. 

polling rate it is, sorry. this is the amount of times it refreshes its position (mouse). there are a few cases which leads to micro stutter if the polling rate is to high. 

This made my brain think of classic rap.

” Dee Ohh Cee Pee yeah you know me yeah Dee OhhCeePee is eX eM Pee..” [does something fancy with the microphone while stomping across the stage]

On 9/1/2021 at 10:07 PM, SamClan said:

D.O.C.P. is XMP. 

Ah ok i see.

Do i need program to check the polling rate or can i do it in some windows settings?

I tried using the default settings when i updated the bios first and then after i activated the D.O.C.P.

21 hours ago, Matrim91 said:

Do i need program to check the polling rate or can i do it in some windows settings?

normally you set them up in the software of your mouse and keyboard. Asus should have a software for that. as well as Logitech

so yes you need 2 different software. From asus and Logitech