Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

gpu overclock lowering my fps

ok so i was following a youtube tutorial on overclocking my gpu so i was slowly increasing my core clock and my mem clock while running heaven until it crashed then i would lower the clocks so i didnt freeze so i kept doing this back and forth trying to fin the perfect clock after i found it i was getting 60-110 fps on heaven after that i saved it restarted my computor then destiny 2 the game i wanted to play wasnt donloading i dont think that was related though so i restarted it again and it loaded but i was hiting 0-30 fps in the menu i normaly hit 100-200 in the menu so i tried to load into the actual game but it wouldnt so i checked it on csgo my norm fps 144-300 i was hitting 60-130 i had reset all my overclocks and tried again but nothing changed before i did all of this i downloaded aorus civ cos i was upping my fan speeds i was using msi afterburner to oc my gpu btw the exact gpu is the palit rtx 3060 storm x idk how to fix it can anyone help please i tried ddu and reinstalling drivers didnt work

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very normal. Modern GPUs are smart and can dynamically tune their power usage and clocks and by extent - the temprature.

 

So basically the better cooling capacity the higher clock speeds.

 

I would reset everything and just stick with that - OCing would only apply for anything that has as much or more cooling capacity as something as a Strix. Watercooling and LN2 would be the most obious reasons for overclocking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mightymc said:

ok so i was following a youtube tutorial on overclocking my gpu so i was slowly increasing my core clock and my mem clock while running heaven until it crashed then i would lower the clocks so i didnt freeze so i kept doing this back and forth trying to fin the perfect clock after i found it i was getting 60-110 fps on heaven after that i saved it restarted my computor then destiny 2 the game i wanted to play wasnt donloading i dont think that was related though so i restarted it again and it loaded but i was hiting 0-30 fps in the menu i normaly hit 100-200 in the menu so i tried to load into the actual game but it wouldnt so i checked it on csgo my norm fps 144-300 i was hitting 60-130 i had reset all my overclocks and tried again but nothing changed before i did all of this i downloaded aorus civ cos i was upping my fan speeds i was using msi afterburner to oc my gpu btw the exact gpu is the palit rtx 3060 storm x idk how to fix it can anyone help please

a 3060 is very good for any game, why overclock in the first place? also you're probably getting lower frames cuz the OC is unstable

Link to post
Share on other sites

destiny 2 is not an easy game to run i was hitting frames worse than people with a worse gpu and he said he oc so i gave it a try like the idiot i am 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Use ddu and reinstall drivers

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 2080 Ti Strix | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mightymc said:

ok so i was following a youtube tutorial on overclocking my gpu so i was slowly increasing my core clock and my mem clock while running heaven until it crashed then i would lower the clocks so i didnt freeze so i kept doing this back and forth trying to fin the perfect clock after i found it i was getting 60-110 fps on heaven after that i saved it restarted my computor then destiny 2 the game i wanted to play wasnt donloading i dont think that was related though so i restarted it again and it loaded but i was hiting 0-30 fps in the menu i normaly hit 100-200 in the menu so i tried to load into the actual game but it wouldnt so i checked it on csgo my norm fps 144-300 i was hitting 60-130 i had reset all my overclocks and tried again but nothing changed before i did all of this i downloaded aorus civ cos i was upping my fan speeds i was using msi afterburner to oc my gpu btw the exact gpu is the palit rtx 3060 storm x idk how to fix it can anyone help please

Modern GPU’s employ a lot a memory error correction. So just because it’s stable doesn’t mean it’s faster. 
 

If you push the memory too far, it will dynamically increase timings to help stabilize it, AND it will increase the amount of error correction needed which has a performance penalty. This is why you need to test before and after OC’s to see if things actually improved. Try testing with lower GPU memory speeds and see if performance returns. That won’t fix your current issues though, so do as others said use use DDU (display driver uninstaller) and remove old drivers and reinstall. Then…. Overclock the GPU the correct way, but just going for max and turning it back down, you have to actually check and validate performance improvements. 

Rig: i7 10700k @ 5.1Ghz, 4.8 Ring - - Z490 Vision G - - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra @ 2025Mhz - - 4x8GB Vengeance Pro 3000Mhz 15-17-17-34 @ 3500MHz 16-19-19-38 - - Samsung 950 Pro 512 NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Samsung 830 Pro 256 RAID 0 Lightroom + Photo work - - WD Blue 1 TB SSD for Games - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - EK Supremacy Evo - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK Full Cover GPU Block - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - Steel Series QcK XXL

 

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

 

Homelab/ Media Server: ESXi 6.5 - - 250 GB SSD for VM's/ESXi boot - - FreeNAS - - HPE Proliant ML10 Gen 9 backbone - - i3 6100 - - 28 GB ECC - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - 10TB WD Red for expendable data - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander

 

White Lightning (original full watercooled build) - Homelab / Media Server - The Blue Beast (my car and other expensive hobby...) - iPhone Xs - 2018 MacBook Air

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, InfernalClaw said:

a 3060 is very good for any game, why overclock in the first place? also you're probably getting lower frames cuz the OC is unstable

Well, me OCing my 3090 on the first day I got it would beg to differ 😄

 

If you do multiple game benchmarks before and after OC with frametime comparison, you can get a whole lot more FPS.

I got about 5-10% more performance in most games OCing my GPU like that.

My Gaming PC:
Zotac RTX 3090 AMP (+750 mem +200 core. Not the best, but was MSRP. Plan on watercooling later)
i9 9900KF 5GHz 1.31V LLC6 - NZXT x72
G.Skill Trident Z @3450MHz 32GB CL15 (3466 and 3200 mixed CL16) OC
Asus Maximus X Hero

4TB Samsung NVme Storage for Windows, Games and Programs

Seagate Backup Plus 8TB (Shadowplay and Backups)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11Dynamic
MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q  240hz, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720 144hz, Acer S242HLDBID 60hz

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Hyper X Alloy Origins Core (Reds)

 

My Silent Multimedia PC:

i7 8700k delid (4.8Ghz, 1.35V) - Noctua NH-D15

Asus Strix RTX 2080 OC (Undervolt)

G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 16GB

Gigabyte Z390 UD (cheap but does the job)

Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB (Games) + Kingston A400 240GB (Windows) + 480GB (Programs)

Corsair RM-650

Be Quiet Silent Base 601 with 2x 140mm Noctua exhaust

Samsung Q60R (4k 60hz for Windows, 1440p 120hz Freesync for gaming)

Logitech G Pro Wireless

Ducky One 2 TKL (Silver/Blue)

 

My Notebook:

Asus Zephyrus G14 Top Spec 120hz

 

Server:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Noah0302 said:

Well, me OCing my 3090 on the first day I got it would beg to differ 😄

 

If you do multiple game benchmarks before and after OC with frametime comparison, you can get a whole lot more FPS.

I got about 5-10% more performance in most games OCing my GPU like that.

i never said it doesnt give you better performance, but why do so? unless you want high scores in 3dmark, then sure go for it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone saying don’t oc sorry but my 2080ti ftw3 gets me 15 percent more performance 

2115mhz average and 8200mhz memory 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2021 at 9:14 AM, InfernalClaw said:

i never said it doesnt give you better performance, but why do so? unless you want high scores in 3dmark, then sure go for it

Playing games at 1440p max settings 165hz.

A lot of games actually dip below 165FPS at max, even with a 3090.
In some cases it does make sense

My Gaming PC:
Zotac RTX 3090 AMP (+750 mem +200 core. Not the best, but was MSRP. Plan on watercooling later)
i9 9900KF 5GHz 1.31V LLC6 - NZXT x72
G.Skill Trident Z @3450MHz 32GB CL15 (3466 and 3200 mixed CL16) OC
Asus Maximus X Hero

4TB Samsung NVme Storage for Windows, Games and Programs

Seagate Backup Plus 8TB (Shadowplay and Backups)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11Dynamic
MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q  240hz, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720 144hz, Acer S242HLDBID 60hz

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Hyper X Alloy Origins Core (Reds)

 

My Silent Multimedia PC:

i7 8700k delid (4.8Ghz, 1.35V) - Noctua NH-D15

Asus Strix RTX 2080 OC (Undervolt)

G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 16GB

Gigabyte Z390 UD (cheap but does the job)

Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB (Games) + Kingston A400 240GB (Windows) + 480GB (Programs)

Corsair RM-650

Be Quiet Silent Base 601 with 2x 140mm Noctua exhaust

Samsung Q60R (4k 60hz for Windows, 1440p 120hz Freesync for gaming)

Logitech G Pro Wireless

Ducky One 2 TKL (Silver/Blue)

 

My Notebook:

Asus Zephyrus G14 Top Spec 120hz

 

Server:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noah0302 said:

Playing games at 1440p max settings 165hz.

A lot of games actually dip below 165FPS at max, even with a 3090.
In some cases it does make sense

a way simpler solution in my opinion is getting a gsync/freesync monitor. with these you could be running at say 120 fps instead of 165 and itll still feel smooth. however yes itll cost you but in my opinion its better than having an unstable overclock

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×