Does the Sony A90J 83" use LGs 2nd gen OLED panel?

bukbuk

Fairly straight forward. I watched the review on youtube about the A90J, and have been fortunate enough to order one on sale. As said in the review by Linus, the Sony A90J uses LGs second gen OLED panel, like the G1 is supposed to be using. However, after a little bit of googling I discovered the G1 and A90J top models are two different sizes. The G1 only goes up to 77" and the A90J goes up to 83". They both share lower sizes; 55 and 65 inches. How can they then use the same second gen panel on the top model? And if they still do, why wouldn't LG make the G1 in 83"?

I've tried to contact the seller for info, but they say they don't have access to this info. Any help would be appreciated.

Ask Sony directly. I would still avoid Sony tv:s if you use it for gaming as they still say vrr is coming soon or maybe.

7 hours ago, bukbuk said:

why wouldn't LG make the G1 in 83"?

Simply because they don't see the market for it. The LG G1 65" to 77" is an 80% increase in price. The Sony 83" is also 81% more expensive than the 77" LG G1 (over here at least). I wonder how many of those 83" models Sony is actually selling. I don't know a lot of people (or any really) personally that would be willing to shell out (close to) $10k for a TV currently.

I'd say  it's a bit of a cost-benefit decision. Why would you make 2x 83" and 2x 48", both of which may be niche (making them both expensive) because one is too big and expensive, and the other just a tad too small for a TV, tad too big for a monitor

Spoiler

675px-Motherglass-8.5-83-48.png

if you can make 3x 65" and 2x 55", which are both nice TV sizes and generally sell well, or even 6x 55"

Spoiler

675px-Motherglass-8.5-65-55.png

Spoiler

675px-Motherglass-8.5-55.png

Comparing the above cutting proces you'd also be much more susceptible to imperfections and defects, making it more likely to have to write off half the 83" panels compared to only 1/3rd of the 65" panels or 1/6th of the 55" panels (assuming only one serious defect in the full motherglass area).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB