can we have the edited by poster by default.

adarw

I think its better for clarification if it said it was edited. but many people overlook the button and just edit, even tho they would have liked to show they edited it. can we have it default, say edited, or at least make a setting we can do?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

I'd be against this. 80% of my posts would show up as edited because I go back in to fix a typo or change a word or whatever. I suspect there are many others who are the same way. I don't want or need to stare at a big orange bar between every other post telling me that someone like me saw "there" instead of "their" and decided to fix it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

22 minutes ago, adarw said:

I think its better for clarification if it said it was edited. but many people overlook the button and just edit, even tho they would have liked to show they edited it. can we have it default, say edited, or at least make a setting we can do?

You mean this?

image.png.38400e5994132908dcc150605c4b8ef7.png

This is what all members see when they edit a post/topic. ^^^^^^

Its not on by default. But you can select when you make the edit. There is no reason to set this to a default and as mentioned this may not be received well by the community as a whole.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I'd be against this. 80% of my posts would show up as edited because I go back in to fix a typo or change a word or whatever. I suspect there are many others who are the same way. I don't want or need to stare at a big orange bar between every other post telling me that someone like me saw "there" instead of "their" and decided to fix it.

So its not just me then?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I'm pretty sure this was bought up a while ago and Mortis suggested a change like just a simple "edited" marker above the post (where the time stamp is) as opposed to the full information that would come with that being ticked as the default. not sure where that ended up

EDIT: test for the above

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

16 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I'm pretty sure this was bought up a while ago and Mortis suggested a change like just a simple "edited" marker above the post (where the time stamp is) as opposed to the full information that would come with that being ticked as the default. not sure where that ended up

Try editing your post and see. It should show (edited) next to the timestamp if the post has been edited. I'm not sure if it only shows when the checkbox to show the post has been edited is selected - Mods see all edits regardless.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Try editing your post and see. It should show (edited) next to the timestamp if the post has been edited. I'm not sure if it only shows when the checkbox to show the post has been edited is selected - Mods see all edits regardless.

nope

image.thumb.png.e894a71d1492f2b5c4004f3346907bb8.png

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 minutes ago, Arika S said:

nope

🤔 Hmm. Must be a permissions thing where only people who can see that the post has been edited can see it. Kinda defeats the purpose but I'm not sure if it's possible to work around those user permissions.

Edit: Try refreshing the page after editing it.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

🤔 Hmm. Must be a permissions thing where only people who can see that the post has been edited can see it. Kinda defeats the purpose but I'm not sure if it's possible to work around those user permissions.

yeah (edited) only shows up when the checkbox is selected. 

EDIT: as seen here   

image.thumb.png.700c3641483c320f249d7d5bb33d73ea.png

and can be re-hidden by editing the message again and making sure the box is not ticked this time

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I'm a few days late to this thread, but I think in an ideal world it would automatically say "Edited" if the edit changes the character count significantly, but otherwise it would only say it if requested by the user.

If you are correcting typos to the extent that the new version is significantly longer or shorter than the old one then your post must have been incomprehensible to start with, so clarifying that it has been edited can only be a good thing!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Meanwhile on the 4 other forums before this one had edits automaticly shown.. So on this forum i either show an "edit: message here" or write in the actual box down below and tick the mark to show its been edited if i made a correction, grammar or added more text to my post.. Just to show i did it or rather to let people know the post has been edited and not hide it.. Really didnt think too much of it until i saw this post.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD