Steam Deck. Anyone buying?

whm1974

I'm putting this here since it is suppose to play PC Games. I only a few things dues a few Linux YouTube channels. One is that SteamOS on the Device is based off Arch Linux. Another is that it is suppose to play the entire Steam Library with Proton. I do know that it will be pricey even with the low end model.

Due to the last I am not likely to buy one. Lost and Theft you know.

i reserved the 256gb model. i'm pretty on the fence about getting it, but i have a year to decide(more or less) and it's only a 5$ deposit.

4 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

i reserved the 256gb model. i'm pretty on the fence about getting it, but i have a year to decide(more or less) and it's only a 5$ deposit.

Just like High End Smartphones, Tablets, and Laptops, I'm always on the Fence about buying such things. Bedsides living on a Fixed Income, there is lose and being a target for theft.

Nah, I honestly can't see the point. I travel by car, and have a gaming PC at home. Doesn't really fill a need.

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

It's a hard pass for me. I do like the idea of it and glad people will get something that's actually usable. Just not my kind of thing

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

• 3 weeks later...

I just fail to really see the point of the Steam Deck and I feel like I'm the only one. I already have a phone that can emulate essentially anything I throw at it, I have a switch for gaming on the go and a desktop (and laptop) for serious gaming. 

If I wanted to play AAA PC titles, it wouldn't be at 720p/60 fps on a tiny screen with a controller. Could I potentially play Warzone whilst Skydiving? Sure I guess, but why?

On 9/4/2021 at 5:22 AM, MarkGibbons said:

I just fail to really see the point of the Steam Deck and I feel like I'm the only one. I already have a phone that can emulate essentially anything I throw at it, I have a switch for gaming on the go and a desktop (and laptop) for serious gaming. 

If I wanted to pay AAA PC titles, it wouldn't be at 720p/60 fps on a tiny screen with a controller. Could I potentially play Warzone whilst Skydiving? Sure I guess, but why?

It won't be for everyone and your situation might not warrant it.  For example maybe someone has to travel alot.  This seems a lot easier to bust out the steam deck say on a airplane then it would be to pull out a laptop, have to use the tray, pull out or plug in a controller.  Point being there are probably a lot of people who this is a great solution for, and maybe not so much for others.

I have a desktop and have thought about buying this for on the go or as a 2nd PC(maybe my GF can use it).  

I will, although mainly for 6th/7th/8th gen console ports and older PC games. I would not like to play newer PC games on it. The Steam Deck technically isn't the only way to play RapeLay in the comfort of my bed, but I think it is the best way. I can also install Windows just to play some console ports that just don't run in Proton/Steam Play. There are a few notable games I want to play that do not work in Proton/Steam Play. These games do not have multiplayer at all, so they don't have anti-cheat. They also don't have an integrated Internet Explorer (that would really suck). They just don't run yet, and I heard it has something to do with the way it was programmed.

31 minutes ago, RivaCom said:

It won't be for everyone and your situation might not warrant it.  For example maybe someone has to travel alot.  This seems a lot easier to bust out the steam deck say on a airplane then it would be to pull out a laptop, have to use the tray, pull out or plug in a controller.  Point being there are probably a lot of people who this is a great solution for, and maybe not so much for others.

I have a desktop and have thought about buying this for on the go or as a 2nd PC(maybe my GF can use it).  

I recently a trip to BC and I'd have loved to have a Steam Deck there.  I brought a tablet for media while on the plane/ferry, a Switch for mobile gaming, a Laptop cause, well, laptops are good in a hotel room, and also a Lenovo 'Tiny' SFF PC to hook up to non-smart hotel TVs.

A SteamDeck could have done three of those jobs easily.  Gaming *or* media while traveling (Why doesn't the Switch have a media player?  It's a souped up nVidia shield after all!) and dock it to the the TV for media playback there or even TV gaming.  I'd still have taken a laptop as that's just a handy thing at the desk in a hotel but it'd have turned 3 devices into one.

Also, everyone talks about AAA gaming on a Switch.  Lots of classic PC games that'll run amazing on it, FYI. 🙂

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

17 minutes ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I recently a trip to BC and I'd have loved to have a Steam Deck there.  I brought a tablet for media while on the plane/ferry, a Switch for mobile gaming, a Laptop cause, well, laptops are good in a hotel room, and also a Lenovo 'Tiny' SFF PC to hook up to non-smart hotel TVs.

A SteamDeck could have done three of those jobs easily.  Gaming *or* media while traveling (Why doesn't the Switch have a media player?  It's a souped up nVidia shield after all!) and dock it to the the TV for media playback there or even TV gaming.  I'd still have taken a laptop as that's just a handy thing at the desk in a hotel but it'd have turned 3 devices into one.

Also, everyone talks about AAA gaming on a Switch.  Lots of classic PC games that'll run amazing on it, FYI. 🙂

Not to mention newer games.  Heck it's not going to be amazing detail at that resolution but it's better than nothing.  I'm trying to build a AMD system without a GPU now and with everything it's close to $700-800 dollars and that's if I bargain shop for deals.  But for the same price I could make it portable as well?  Sold.  Granted the only thing i'm losing out on is being able to slap a gpu on it later but who knows, maybe an external drive will be an option for it later.

55 minutes ago, url8 said:

I will, although mainly for 6th/7th/8th gen console ports and older PC games. I would not like to play newer PC games on it. The Steam Deck technically isn't the only way to play RapeLay in the comfort of my bed, but I think it is the best way. I can also install Windows just to play some console ports that just don't run in Proton/Steam Play. There are a few notable games I want to play that do not work in Proton/Steam Play. These games do not have multiplayer at all, so they don't have anti-cheat. They also don't have an integrated Internet Explorer (that would really suck). They just don't run yet, and I heard it has something to do with the way it was programmed.

I'm not sure RapeLay will run on Modern Systems. I only even heard about that game due to the minor uproar over some Importer offering the Japanese Title.

So you played too?

On 9/4/2021 at 10:22 AM, MarkGibbons said:

If I wanted to pay AAA PC titles, it wouldn't be at 720p/60 fps on a tiny screen with a controller. Could I potentially play Warzone whilst Skydiving? Sure I guess, but why?

You're not the only one! It's a seemingly impressive piece of hardware, I just can't think of a reason I'd use it. I had a similar problem with the PS Vita, which I owned, but I ended up selling it as I never used it.

On 9/10/2021 at 1:25 PM, whm1974 said:

I'm not sure RapeLay will run on Modern Systems. I only even heard about that game due to the minor uproar over some Importer offering the Japanese Title.

So you played too?

You can make RapeLay run on modern versions of Windows using dgVoodoo. As for how it runs in Wine/Steam Play/Proton, I don't have any clue about Steam Play or Proton, but I already haven't been successful in making it run in Wine. That's not a good sign. I may have to be running Windows to play this.

2 hours ago, url8 said:

You can make RapeLay run on modern versions of Windows using dgVoodoo. As for how it runs in Wine/Steam Play/Proton, I don't have any clue about Steam Play or Proton, but I already haven't been successful in making it run in Wine. That's not a good sign. I may have to be running Windows to play this.

There another one I played called Battle Raper right around the same Time. Games like this were more acceptable on Computers then would have been in North America and the EU then.

Again I only heard about both of them due to some Group making a Tempest in a Teapot over them simply being available.

But back to the Steam Deck.