First time builder. my build can power up but not boot or display

nemo19

Hello,

I am a first time pc builder and i wanted to try a budget build whch i chose myself. I assembled all the parts, but every time I try the pc powers on withouth booting or it doesnt deliver signal to the monitor. The lights on the Post status checker on the Motherboad blink on DRAM, then VGA and BOOTING, but after few seconds they all turn off. All the fans on the case, CPU cooler and GPU work.

The CPU should not support display graphics so I thought it was the GPU the main problem, since it also an old model even though the vendor claims is not used. For this reason I swapped between PCIE gen 4 and PCIE gen3 slot, withouth different results.

I also tried to troubleshoot following these guidelines from Gamer nexus (https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2144-basic-pc-build-troubleshooting-steps-wont-boot), but without any luck. I even tried to short the CMOS jumper to reset. I dont have access to another pc to troubleshoot every component individually. I would be thankful for any tip or advise. Down here are the build specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: ASRock B560 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL19 Memory  
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 1 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB DDR5 (https://www.ebay.it/itm/234083218683)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

Monitor: Acer ‎Nitro KG242YPbmiipx

Thanks for the attention.

PS: English is not my first language, so I'm sorry for any mistake.

IMG20210816223048.jpg

6 minutes ago, nemo19 said:

Hello,

I am a first time pc builder and i wanted to try a budget build whch i chose myself. I assembled all the parts, but every time I try the pc powers on withouth booting or it doesnt deliver signal to the monitor. The lights on the Post status checker on the Motherboad blink on DRAM, then VGA and BOOTING, but after few seconds they all turn off. All the fans on the case, CPU cooler and GPU work.

The CPU should not support display graphics so I thought it was the GPU the main problem, since it also an old model even though the vendor claims is not used. For this reason I swapped between PCIE gen 4 and PCIE gen3 slot, withouth different results.

I also tried to troubleshoot following these guidelines from Gamer nexus (https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2144-basic-pc-build-troubleshooting-steps-wont-boot), but without any luck. I even tried to short the CMOS jumper to reset. I dont have access to another pc to troubleshoot every component individually. I would be thankful for any tip or advise. Down here are the build specs:

Video Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB DDR5 (https://www.ebay.it/itm/234083218683)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  

IMG20210816223048.jpg

1. Try to find out if you plugged up HDMI / DP to the correct port on your GPU.

2. Plug your GPU on the Top PCI-E Slot.

3. Try to run the PC without the GPU mounted.

4. Try to Plug RAM once again and push it until you hear the click sound.

Simple, but it can help ass in many situations 🙂

I'm here to help you out with some basic tasks, I'm still learning some things, so don't belive I can solve everything 😉

I'm collecting all type of hardware - 90% of my collection is a LGA775 stuff rest is some 2010's Era

Hit me up on discord if you want to talk more

heli #1337

I had a similar issue once 🙂. It was because the memory wasn’t inserted correctly. Make sure that you can’t see the gold contacts on the memory once it has been inserted.

I hope this helps 🙂 

11 minutes ago, nemo19 said:

Hello,

IMG20210816223048.jpg

I saw your cooler is mounted in another direction as it should be mounted i think, it should look like this:

obraz.thumb.png.b49349fbc949660130454d5da214e017.png

Maybe your CPU is Overheating because of the wrong cooler mount.

I'm here to help you out with some basic tasks, I'm still learning some things, so don't belive I can solve everything 😉

I'm collecting all type of hardware - 90% of my collection is a LGA775 stuff rest is some 2010's Era

heli #1337

Yikes, you have some work to do.  Put gpu in top slot, put the ram in the 2nd and 4th slots from left.  Make sure all connections and good, including fans and psu.  Make sure the cooler is secured properly with a correct thermal paste application.  Try again. 

Make sure you plug your monitor in with your GPU and not your motherboard. 

I have a similar system and for me it works when I first start my monitor and then the PC, other way around it sometimes doesn't work.

12 minutes ago, Helly Benchmarking said:

I saw your cooler is mounted in another direction as it should be mounted i think, it should look like this:

obraz.thumb.png.b49349fbc949660130454d5da214e017.png

Maybe your CPU is Overheating because of the wrong cooler mount.

If it was overheating it would still show a signal. It would throttle the CPU/GPU or shut down completely.

Do you have access to another video card you can use to test?

I can be wrong, but I notice in the ebay listing you added that this card has a VGA port, and is label as an GTX 1050Ti, I don't think the 1050 has a VGA port, it may be a fake card, and then it could be very likely that is broken.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

That is a fake 1050 ti, 100%. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

9 hours ago, Middcore said:

That is a fake 1050 ti, 100%. 

Yes, 250W TDP is not normal for GTX 1050Ti...

Same as VGA in this card

heli #1337

10 hours ago, Sors said:

Do you have access to another video card you can use to test?

I can be wrong, but I notice in the ebay listing you added that this card has a VGA port, and is label as an GTX 1050Ti, I don't think the 1050 has a VGA port, it may be a fake card, and then it could be very likely that is broken.

Yep I think that card is a fake - it has a vga port and SLI fingers. The 1050ti does not have either of these.

14 hours ago, Helly Benchmarking said:

1. Try to find out if you plugged up HDMI / DP to the correct port on your GPU.

2. Plug your GPU on the Top PCI-E Slot.

3. Try to run the PC without the GPU mounted.

4. Try to Plug RAM once again and push it until you hear the click sound.

Simple, but it can help ass in many situations 🙂

In gonna try these procedure, but first im posting close images of the GPU.  If you guys confirm that it is fake i am going to find another GPU to verify the ipothesis.

IMG20210817132848.jpg

IMG20210817132835.jpg

IMG20210817132828.jpg

IMG20210817132812.jpg

looks good to me, except the cooler isnt mounted the right way… that could be an issue tbh (not enough pressure/contact ) so try to mount it correctly, it might boot then.

And yes, the card is immediately strange, not a 1050… but i suppose it would at least boot…

So correct cooler orientation.

check if it works.

return the card in either case (unfortunately its trash)

20210715_104622.thumb.jpg.ddd852102b10d2b1b810871a42bc2f21.jpg

<-----

cooler goes this way, you probably need to completely remove it first, dont forget the thermal paste, and good luck. 🙂

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

looks good to me, except the cooler isnt mounted the right way… that could be an issue tbh (not enough pressure/contact ) so try to mount it correctly, it might boot then.

And yes, the card is immediately strange, not a 1050… but i suppose it would at least boot…

So correct cooler orientation.

check if it works.

return the card in either case (unfortunately its trash)

20210715_104622.thumb.jpg.ddd852102b10d2b1b810871a42bc2f21.jpg

<-----

cooler goes this way, you probably need to completely remove it first, dont forget the thermal paste, and good luck. 🙂

I reseated the cpu cooler and placed again the paste, put in order the ram, tried to boot without gpu, still the same results: Post checker lights blink then they turn off but no diplay on monitor. Im going to return the GPU and try to put another one from a friend, I'll post again if I have news,

IMG_20210817_233658.jpg