Best all rounder gamepad for PC emulation?

cacoe

If you were to buy a single controller for all of your emulation needs on PC, which one would it be? I'm thinking stock Xbox because it's so widely supported, but could I be overlooking a better option?

The most ideal scenario would be original controllers with adapters but that's too pricey 馃

Case - Phanteks聽Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x聽| RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz聽@ 3600mhz聽| GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s聽8GB聽 | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4聽|聽Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe聽Gen 3 聽|聽聽Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i聽RGB Pro XT

16 minutes ago, cacoe said:

If you were to buy a single controller for all of your emulation needs on PC, which one would it be?

Well there are no one size fits all in this case. Generally to emulate major 2 of PS and Nintendo, you can run away with xbox controller or dualshock but in some case maybe not.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Well there are no one size fits all in this case. Generally to emulate major 2 of PS and Nintendo, you can run away with xbox controller or dualshock but in some case maybe not.

I've never actually used a dual shock, in terms of Windows compatibility, how does it hold up compared to the Xbox controller? What's the pad thingy for? Can I even utilise that on windows? (At any point, not just emulation)

Case - Phanteks聽Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x聽| RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz聽@ 3600mhz聽| GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s聽8GB聽 | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4聽|聽Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe聽Gen 3 聽|聽聽Storage - 7TB formatted

It really depends on what you are doing. But basically for all consoles that don't have a special controller a xbox gamepad is good enough.

However if you want a nice dpad you'll have to get a more specialized controller as well the xbox controllers dpad is kinda meh the ps4's is better but still at best ok.

I'm still using a ancient logitech f510 controller as it's basically a ps4 gamepad with xbox controller driver support and a great dpad.

2 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I've never actually used a dual shock, in terms of Windows compatibility, how does it hold up compared to the Xbox controller? What's the pad thingy for? Can I even utilise that on windows? (At any point, not just emulation)

Well, inferior. While many emus have drivers for DS4 and below, the best route is to go and emulate XInput to make the dualshock act like an xbox controller. While steam can do this with varying levels of success, third party app like DS4Windows or Inputmapper is gonna be far better than steam's, but can be very unstable especially in wireless mode.

Press quote聽to get a response聽from someone! | Check people's edited posts!聽|聽Be specific!聽| Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It really depends on what you are doing. But basically for all consoles that don't have a special controller a xbox gamepad is good enough.

However if you want a nice dpad you'll have to get a more specialized controller as well the xbox controllers dpad is kinda meh the ps4's is better but still at best ok.

I'm still using a ancient logitech f510 controller as it's basically a ps4 gamepad with xbox controller driver support and a great dpad.

Any idea if the Xbox elite series 2 controller dpad is any better? This is the most likely purchase at this point.聽

21 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Any idea if the Xbox elite series 2 controller dpad is any better? This is the most likely purchase at this point.聽

It's a bit better but the Elite is hardly worth it compared to the standard version imo.

The target group for the Elite controller are the die-hard shooter players.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

27 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Bit better but by far not worth the price of the elite controller vs the normal one. Better to just get yourself a dedicated good dpad secondary controller than buy an elite.

15 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

It's a bit better but the Elite is hardly worth it compared to the standard version imo.

The target group for the Elite controller are the die-hard shooter players.

Tbf, I can afford it at the moment and although this thread is pitched towards emulation because thats my "interest of the moment" chances are I'll be (ideally) using whatever I buy for years to come. Still got a steam controller in my drawer which was great but due to lackluster 3rd party support and an absolute requirement to run it via stream for full configuration, it rarely comes out. It also feels so horribly cheap in the hands.

11 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Tbf, I can afford it at the moment and although this thread is pitched towards emulation because thats my "interest of the moment" chances are I'll be (ideally) using whatever I buy for years to come. Still got a steam controller in my drawer which was great but due to lackluster 3rd party support and an absolute requirement to run it via stream for full configuration, it rarely comes out. It also feels so horribly cheap in the hands.

Then have at it, i guess. If anything, the extra buttons might help with certain emulation scenarios.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

I guess have at it then. If anything, the extra buttons might help with certain emulation scenarios.

Actually just watched a review that was praising how great it is that finally - the battery is built in and non removable. For a 拢150 controller, this is the absolute most moronic thing Microsoft could have done, I'm definitely not buying it now, didn't realise this!

Bugger it. YOLO, I got the Xbox elite controller. Thanks everyone.

• 3 months later...

I am sorry to bring this old discussion back to life. I was also searching for an Xbox emulator for my Windows PC.

I found an article suggesting TocaEdit Xbox 360.I got it and it's working quite well for me.

I just thought this might be helpful to others.