is there any hope that mining will move away from graphics cards?

I really like the idea that mining uses the compute power of the gpu,, as for the theory interest. Of course as soon as one looks at the idea of the computing power, they must wonder if there's something else besides graphics that could make use of the power. 

but I just feel pretty hopeless when looking to buy performance graphics cards just to have a fancy card to play with, I can't believe how mining has basically roofed the price of what otherwise should be really good for really affordable prices. 

most of my gaming just doesn't need nicer graphics, but if it were easier to get them then the games would surely match the below average gamer. (actually, I'm playing some space games, I have no idea what would be different)

i5 12400 , MSI b660 pro-a, 32g 3200 , rtx 3060, 1tb wdblack sn270

I gave my dad: rogstrix b350-f gaming, r5 2600, corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 2400, gtx 980 ti , he has minecraft, halo infinite, and collects his own photography. he had a "worst laptop in store special" that finishes loading your mouse movement, but not really much else. 

games: Starmade, Velocidrone, Minecraft, Astrokill, Liftoff, ThrustandShoot, , Infinity Battlescape, Flight of Nova, Orbital Racer

5 minutes ago, tsmspace said:

I really like the idea that mining uses the compute power of the gpu,, as for the theory interest. Of course as soon as one looks at the idea of the computing power, they must wonder if there's something else besides graphics that could make use of the power. 

but I just feel pretty hopeless when looking to buy performance graphics cards just to have a fancy card to play with, I can't believe how mining has basically roofed the price of what otherwise should be really good for really affordable prices. 

most of my gaming just doesn't need nicer graphics, but if it were easier to get them then the games would surely match the below average gamer. (actually, I'm playing some space games, I have no idea what would be different)

chances are it won't move away from GPUs anytime soon, cryptography used in cryptocurrency mining is getting more and more complex every day.

1 minute ago, tsmspace said:

There are far more factors that lead to this GPU shortage than just the "menace" of miners. Whilst proof-of-stake well backed cryptos are going to help the overuse of GPUs in mining, imo GPUs would still be preferable as the swiss knives of computing.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Not really, because the algorithms that can do that have done so, e.g. Bitcoin (SHA256) moving to ASICs a looong time ago. Things like Ethereum have been specifically designed to be ASIC resistant to prevent this from happening, so no they won't move away.

4 hours ago, tsmspace said:

This isn't true. There has been far more at play. It's not just miners causing the shortage, it's the entire pandemic, supply chain issues, scalpers etc. Mining has contributed for sure, but it hasn't been the sole main driver from what we know.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Well ethereum is moving to PoS which is the most profitable GPU orientanted algorithm.

There can be reasons for wanting consumer hardware to be capable of mining as it makes it less centralised and more democratic, not just for those that can afford dedicated hardware.

You will also likely see more evolved methods, like helium uses dedicated hotspot hardware but the rewards are paid out on multiple mechanisms like providing data and uptime but also witnessing. So you may see a move towards things like Proof of Activity and so on where you are rewarded for contributing to the network, not just pure mining grunt.

Well, there comes a point when the difficulty of mining increases so much that it wo n't be profitable on a GPU anymore (eg. BTC). Then there is ofcourse ETH s move towards PoS

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

10 hours ago, artuc said:

Well ethereum is moving to PoS which is the most profitable GPU orientanted algorithm.

Ravencoin is as profitable or more (in the case of LHR) as Ethereum at the moment. One scenario is once PoS hits all that hashpower just diverts to another coin.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

15 hours ago, tikker said:

Ravencoin is as profitable or more (in the case of LHR) as Ethereum at the moment. One scenario is once PoS hits all that hashpower just diverts to another coin.

RVN and ERGO. Curious what will happen as Nicehash were worried about a huge shift of mining power to ERGO. If some large miners or pools switch to either there is possible potential for them to dominate the network hashrate. Plus also what this will do to profitability, difficulty and so on.

8 hours ago, artuc said:

RVN and ERGO. Curious what will happen as Nicehash were worried about a huge shift of mining power to ERGO. If some large miners or pools switch to either there is possible potential for them to dominate the network hashrate. Plus also what this will do to profitability, difficulty and so on.

Difficulty will simply skyrocket for those coins if that happens. Then a at least temporarily the price will rise I think and then we'll see if it sticks or tanks hard back to normal levels again afterwards.