Crosshair VIII Hero Monoblock (EK) giving high CPU Temps (5950X)

Just finished my first watercooled build. Full custom loop.

Sys Specs

------------

CPU: R9 5950X

GPU: 3090 Strix OC edition

Ram: 64GB (4x16) Trident Z Neo 3600 CL14

Mobo: Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Cooling

---------

CPU: EKWB Crosshair VIII monoblock

GPU: EKWB Strix 3090 Waterblock + EKWB Strix 3090 Active Backplate

Pump: EKWB D5 Pump/Res Combo

Rads: 2x EK Coolstream PE 360 + 1x EK Coolstream SE 360

Fans: 6x Corsair QL120, 3x Corsair LL120

The Issue

-----------

I think my CPU is running hot. Here are some numbers. For reference, my pump was at 100% and my fans were at 100% for all of the following.

First, some numbers at idle:

TAmbient: 27.0C CPU (Tctl/Tdie) - Min: 41.1C Max: 71.1C Avg: 47.5C

CPU Die (Average) - Min: 37.8C Max: 71.2C Avg: 42.9C

CCD1 (Tdie) - Min: 40.5C Max: 74.0C Avg: 46.6C

CCD2 (Tdie) - Min: 36.8C Max: 67.0C Avg: 40.7C

Core Temperatures - Min: 35.1C Max: 72.4C Avg: 39.1C

GPU Temp - Min: 30.9C Max: 34.2C Avg: 31.3C

And here are some screenshots after a 10min multi-core Cinebench R23 run:
image.png.509382fb70bb586d75c2d6e5b4bb1766.png

image.png.90867d1eaaeab19a33360ef2cba424fc.png

I checked the GPU using Heaven at Ultra, and at 100% GPU utilization it was just bumping up against 55C, so the loop seems to be working okay...

From what I've been told, my CPU temperatures are definitely toasty. Running a game that puts even 2-3% utilization on the CPU, TCtl/TDie still reaches high 70s...
I've come to suspect the monoblock. I've already reseated it once, but I'm still not sure what could be wrong with it. Any thoughts / troubleshooting steps would be great!

Those are actually normal with Ryzen 5000 series. Also, there is a process from the Nvidia drivers causing temp jumps like crazy as well, its called NVLARA or something along those lines. If you have it, end it. You can then go uninstall the Nvidia Framework SDK which this process is linked to to prevent it from coming back upon restart. The Framework SDK is only needed if you use Nvidia benchmarking tools. 

Also, at stock, Ryzen 5900 and 5950 run hot. You should look into doing a PBO2 curve optimizer as well.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

15 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Those are actually normal with Ryzen 5000 series. Also, there is a process from the Nvidia drivers causing temp jumps like crazy as well, its called NVLARA or something along those lines. If you have it, end it. You can then go uninstall the Nvidia Framework SDK which this process is linked to to prevent it from coming back upon restart. The Framework SDK is only needed if you use Nvidia benchmarking tools. 

Also, at stock, Ryzen 5900 and 5950 run hot. You should look into doing a PBO2 curve optimizer as well.

Got it. Thanks for that! I'll certainly look into everything you just mentioned.

So these temps aren't concerning? Or rather, aren't abnormal? I'm worried that in that cinebench run sitting at high 80s, if I'm doing a task that is both CPU and GPU intensive then the whole loop will warm up to the point where the CPU will have to throttle...

Definitely need to look into PBO2 then, to see if I can get it to be more manageable!

EDITED TO ADD:
I've been chilling and playing some TrackMania the last couple nights. I've been keeping iCUE open to monitor my fan RPM and the coolant temperature sensor I have plugged into it. Here's what I've seen:

GPU load is ~30%, temperature reaches 45C or so. CPU load is ~4%, temperature reaches 80+C. Water temperature reads something like 55C, but I think my temperature sensor may not be great - Upon startup this morning, when ambient is 27, the sensor reads ~35C, so there's some kind of offset...

Still have to look into PBO2. But just wanted to give some more information...

Booted up my PC just now to watch some Netflix. Decided to open up HWInfo64 - sitting on the desktop, CPU Tctl/Tdie is reading 71C. Nothing else is running - I checked for that NVDIA SDK but I don't have it installed. Is this really normal?

11 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

Still have to look into PBO2. But just wanted to give some more information...

Booted up my PC just now to watch some Netflix. Decided to open up HWInfo64 - sitting on the desktop, CPU Tctl/Tdie is reading 71C. Nothing else is running - I checked for that NVDIA SDK but I don't have it installed. Is this really normal?

did you check Task Manager to see if the NVLARA process is there?

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Only thing that comes to mind is that you have a tiny bit too thick thermal pads and that leads to poor contact for cpu. Its hard to mess up a loop so bad with 3 360 rads that it idles 70C with room temp water if your pump is running.

22 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

did you check Task Manager to see if the NVLARA process is there?

I did, did not see it. I do have NVIDA broadcast running, if that uses it?

Just now, DarkeVortex said:

I did, did not see it. I do have NVIDA broadcast running, if that uses it?

no, it would be its own separate process. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

20 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Only thing that comes to mind is that you have a tiny bit too thick thermal pads and that leads to poor contact for cpu. Its hard to mess up a loop so bad with 3 360 rads that it idles 70C with room temp water if your pump is running.

Here is the picture from the first seating, which I then took apart and re-seated. Thoughts?

image.jpg

Looks like contact, but I've been wrong before

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

no, it would be its own separate process. 

Yeah, it wasn't there. Not sure if something else is doing it too

1 minute ago, DarkeVortex said:

Here is the picture from the first seating, which I then took apart and re-seated. Thoughts?

:snip:

Looks like contact, but I've been wrong before

I think I see what the problem may be. So with Ryzen CPUs, the cores are offset and not centered on the IHS. In this instance, they're actually located on the bottom half of the IHS down towards the PCIE slots where the blob of thermal paste is left. When remounting, I would maybe tighten that side down first and then the upper half towards the top of the board last. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

I think I see what the problem may be. So with Ryzen CPUs, the cores are offset and not centered on the IHS. In this instance, they're actually located on the bottom half of the IHS down towards the PCIE slots where the blob of thermal paste is left. When remounting, I would maybe tighten that side down first and then the upper half towards the top of the board last. 

I see. Not used to this, always have used Intel lol. Bottom half based on text direction or MoBo direction?

I see. Not used to this, always have used Intel lol. Bottom half based on text direction or MoBo direction?

Yea, intel is centered, but with AMD doing the split chip designs, the center is the IO or SOC and the 2 CCX's are off set, in the case if you look at the chip straight with reading the text, the CCX Cores would be on the right side of center. 

For visual reference, this is an xray image of a 3600, but gives you a visual representation of where.

Ryzen 3000 IHS orientation vs the position of chiplets: Amd

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

38 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yea, intel is centered, but with AMD doing the split chip designs, the center is the IO or SOC and the 2 CCX's are off set, in the case if you look at the chip straight with reading the text, the CCX Cores would be on the right side of center. 

For visual reference, this is an xray image of a 3600, but gives you a visual representation of where.

~snip~

Ahhh i see. Ok. So I should put the X of thermal paste (or whatever pattern) and then tighten the right side of the CPU first (closer to PCIe slots). I almost always do the other side first, since it's at the top of the mobo when I stand it up. I'll try a remount and tighten this side first. Any effect of thermal paste pattern?

Ahhh i see. Ok. So I should put the X of thermal paste (or whatever pattern) and then tighten the right side of the CPU first (closer to PCIe slots). I almost always do the other side first, since it's at the top of the mobo when I stand it up. I'll try a remount and tighten this side first. Any effect of thermal paste pattern?

I personally use the X method on AMD CPUs with great results. Yes, I would tighten the bottom portion closest to the PCIE slots first since that is where the chips are. You should still go little by little on each corner, but would finish the bottom ones first based on what we're seeing. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

I personally use the X method on AMD CPUs with great results. Yes, I would tighten the bottom portion closest to the PCIE slots first since that is where the chips are. You should still go little by little on each corner, but would finish the bottom ones first based on what we're seeing. 

Awesome. I'll give that a try next! I hate having to take out the whole mobo to remount, but c'est la vie, I guess. Still using the X pattern for tightening? Or do both bottom corners first, then top 2, then bottom, etc

1 minute ago, DarkeVortex said:

Awesome. I'll give that a try next! I hate having to take out the whole mobo to remount, but c'est la vie, I guess. Still using the X pattern for tightening? Or do both bottom corners first, then top 2, then bottom, etc

Make sure you have all 4 corners secured first before going and finishing off the bottom. Does your case not have a cutout where you could hold or tape the backplate on to help with the reinstall instead of having to remove it 100%?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Make sure you have all 4 corners secured first before going and finishing off the bottom. Does your case not have a cutout where you could hold or tape the backplate on to help with the reinstall instead of having to remove it 100%?

Yes, but it won't let me screw in the screws for the VRM portion of the monoblock 😛

Yes, but it won't let me screw in the screws for the VRM portion of the monoblock 😛

ahhh, true. Good point. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

ahhh, true. Good point. 

Almost wishing I had gotten a regular CPU block instead. Almost. But the monoblock looks sexy...

@DarkeVortex

There can be differences with mount pressure. EK blocks should come with free support so it might be smart to ask them if the temps seem normal for your setup.

Have you tried what temps you hit with max rpm:s?

6 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

@DarkeVortex

There can be differences with mount pressure. EK blocks should come with free support so it might be smart to ask them if the temps seem normal for your setup.

Have you tried what temps you hit with max rpm:s?

Good call. I'll do that.

Those temps are with max pump + fans at 1500 RPM (max on the LL120/QL120)

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2021 at 6:14 PM, DarkeVortex said:

Just finished my first watercooled build. Full custom loop.

Sys Specs

------------

CPU: R9 5950X

GPU: 3090 Strix OC edition

Ram: 64GB (4x16) Trident Z Neo 3600 CL14

Mobo: Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Cooling

---------

CPU: EKWB Crosshair VIII monoblock

GPU: EKWB Strix 3090 Waterblock + EKWB Strix 3090 Active Backplate

Pump: EKWB D5 Pump/Res Combo

Rads: 2x EK Coolstream PE 360 + 1x EK Coolstream SE 360

Fans: 6x Corsair QL120, 3x Corsair LL120

The Issue

-----------

I think my CPU is running hot. Here are some numbers. For reference, my pump was at 100% and my fans were at 100% for all of the following.

First, some numbers at idle:

TAmbient: 27.0C CPU (Tctl/Tdie) - Min: 41.1C Max: 71.1C Avg: 47.5C

CPU Die (Average) - Min: 37.8C Max: 71.2C Avg: 42.9C

CCD1 (Tdie) - Min: 40.5C Max: 74.0C Avg: 46.6C

CCD2 (Tdie) - Min: 36.8C Max: 67.0C Avg: 40.7C

Core Temperatures - Min: 35.1C Max: 72.4C Avg: 39.1C

GPU Temp - Min: 30.9C Max: 34.2C Avg: 31.3C

And here are some screenshots after a 10min multi-core Cinebench R23 run:
image.png.509382fb70bb586d75c2d6e5b4bb1766.png

image.png.90867d1eaaeab19a33360ef2cba424fc.png

I checked the GPU using Heaven at Ultra, and at 100% GPU utilization it was just bumping up against 55C, so the loop seems to be working okay...

From what I've been told, my CPU temperatures are definitely toasty. Running a game that puts even 2-3% utilization on the CPU, TCtl/TDie still reaches high 70s...
I've come to suspect the monoblock. I've already reseated it once, but I'm still not sure what could be wrong with it. Any thoughts / troubleshooting steps would be great!

I have a gigabyte x570 master with ek mono block so alot like the asus ek mono block.

I had a 3950x running at 4.3GHZ all cores and on cinebench r23 i was hitting 92 degrees,

I am now running a 5950X running at 4.66GHz on all cores and again i am hitting 92 degrees on all cores.

When doing anything normal like gaming at 4k i get 65 to 74 degrees.

My water cool system is 

EK mono rgb block for gigabyte x570 master

Phanteks water cooler with back plate for ASUS rtx 2080 turbo

2 x 280mm alphacool radiators

1 x EK-CoolStream CE 560

5 x corsair ml140 pro rgb fans

4 x alphacool 140mm rgb fans on 560 radiator

1 x Ek-top dual d5 pwm pump/reservoir system older not revo

have all these with 13/10 compression soft tubing

Benchmarking is way different to games so normal temps of 75 gaming and 45 to 50 idle is normal

As long as u have the mono block into a radiator and then in gpu and back to next radiator is fine.

Sounds like your system is running perfectly