how can I improve my english's grammar?

there are apps like tandem, but they are a waste of time, nobody will care about you unless you're a girl, and if you're a girl or a fake girl, everyone will try to hook up with you, so they both waste time and won't help you because they'll try to be nice or show dick pics

grammar nazies/mother tongue guys, often don't know grammar for themselves so...

ps: No I didn't dress up like a girl

22 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

there are apps like tandem, but they are a waste of time, nobody will care about you unless you're a girl, and if you're a girl or a fake girl, everyone will try to hook up with you, so they both waste time and won't help you because they'll try to be nice or show dick pics

grammar nazies/mother tongue guys, often don't know grammar for themselves so...

ps: No I didn't dress up like a girl

Maybe reading could help. Like a novel or something that’s in English. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Duolingo? because it's the only one I know even though I don't use it.

Literacy and interaction with people who write and speak English will help. Read books and articles, watch movies or listen to music lyrics, pop music tends to use simple lyrics, listen to Dua Lipa, Rihanna, Britney, etc. (I don't like pop tbh).

One of the teachers at my hs always used this song to teach English

she had a CD with that song, another brick in the wall by pink floyd and one about vietnam, can't remember its name but it was about the war

with comprentions/vocabulary I don't think that I do have problems, I learnt English mostly in the way that you're describing, and I do also use English to communicate

but my grammar sucks, I don't exactly know what's bad of it, but it is bad

1 hour ago, 12345678 said:

, I don't exactly know what's bad of it, but it is bad

Im American, shit half of us dont know what's bad and not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Read books written in English.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If you're of school age, maybe try getting into an English/grammar class. It's about the only thing that the public education system taught me that actually stuck. If you're not of school age, and if you've got lots of time and are fine spending all day around depressed teens, maybe look into temporarily becoming a para (teacher's assistant) at a local school. I don't know all the rules of being a para so that might not be a good option.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Ah what the heck, lets do a grammar lesson.

A very common mistake I see everywhere online is the use of run-ons. A run-on is when a sentence gets extended with a comma when it should have been terminated with a period.

Bad = My name is Jim, I work on a farm. 
Good = My name is Jim. I work on a farm. 

The first example is incorrect because each clause(a clause is a part of a sentence) is its own thought. What would also be correct is "My name is Jim and I work on a farm." You can use "and" to join two related clauses like this.

If you're of school age, maybe try getting into an English/grammar class. It's about the only thing that the public education system taught me that actually stuck.

This is a bit more tricky. The second sentence may seem like it only makes sense with the first sentence in place, but it actually reads fine on its own. Read "If you're of school age". It needs the second clause to finish the thought. The sentence "It's about the only thing that the public education system taught me that actually stuck." is a full thought on its own. The first sentence serves to describe what "It's" is referring to, but that doesn't change the fact that the second sentence is a full thought.

Contrary to popular belief, you actually do use a comma between the last two items in a list.

Go put item1, item2, and item3 into that drawer over there.

### Apostrophes

“its” and “it’s” have different meanings. “its” is a word on its own, while “it’s” could be a contraction of “it is” or “it has”. This applies to other words, such as “I will” being shortened to “I’ll”, and “they are” being shortened to “they’re”.

Bad = Its a good day today.
Good = It’s a good day today. 

Bad = Put the microphone back on it’s stand. 
Good = Put the microphone back on its stand. 

Bad = Theyre really enjoying their free time.
Good = They’re really enjoying their free time. 

The first example should use an apostrophe because it’s a contraction of “it is”.

The second example shouldn’t use an apostrophe because it’s not a contraction of two other words.

The third example should use an apostrophe because it’s a contraction of “they are”.

### Confused words

There are dozens of words that get used in place of others, such as confusing “there”, “their”, and “they’re”. This is something that would take me way too long to write about. It’s something you can easily look up in any basic dictionary, unlike some other grammar rules.

With how much I’ve written and how tired I am, I’ve probably made some mistakes. Just point them out if you see any.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

On 8/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, Eviljuche said:

Just ignore your grammar, as long as people can understand you, you're fine.

That's not a very good attitude to have. Being complacent stunts intellect and potential progress.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:27 PM, Eviljuche said:

If somebody will try to unironically correct you IRL, or have a negative attitude towards you just because of grammar, such person is probably not worth your time.

You do, however, have a good point. In a lot of cases, you shouldn't try to improve or change yourself for other people. You should do it for yourself.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Use a word processor in a locale/region with English as the language; and proceed to get as much time in writing as you can.

Many times over you'll find just putting together a few minutes worth of work can get it to "click" for concepts when you run into any typos or grammatical suggestions.

Try as much as you can to help yourself with the reference to what a "native" and properly structured piece of writing; just don't stick to rewriting what is being read.

Find a middle ground of being in the realm of grammatically sound and the parlance of what most folk would be understood - slang and jargon isn't a bad idea to just Google in context when seen either.

As far as online goes?

Just work on spelling, capitalization, and punctuation. Any more than that is honestly overkill unless you need to write formally. 

The letter of every fist word in a sentence is capitalized, and some words like "I" are as well. Looks like you have the punctuation part down pretty well, so that's not something you have to work on.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:27 PM, Eviljuche said:

Just ignore your grammar, as long as people can understand you, you're fine. If somebody will try to unironically correct you IRL, or have a negative attitude towards you just because of grammar, such person is probably not worth your time.

Grammar-nazis are just ignorant people who are unable to see the difference between the actual living language(which is always a chaotic, incoherent mess without any strict rules or constant grammar), and its small artificial part known as the literary norm which is mostly made for documents only and doesn't represent anything in language at all.

Counterpoint: reading massive run-on sentences with absolutely zero syntax is wearisome. I'm not saying you have to be at the level of an English professor (I and many other native English speakers are not), but basic grammar really helps out a lot. Most of the time if there is no grammar in a massive wall of text I simply lose interest and stop reading.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

Doing actual grammar practice should help.  Either the internet has an infinite amount of lessons, or you can likely order workbooks from amazon if you have it in your region.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

• 2 weeks later...

read books written for kids and work your way up!
my grammer is by no means perfect (german guy here)
but it helped me that I started moving my whole online life towards english
meaning english YT and netflix no german subreddits etc.
do what you are doing now but do it in english

On 8/15/2021 at 12:58 AM, 12345678 said:

how can I improve my english's grammar?

Before you post anything on the LTT forum, run what you are going to post through Grammarly.

https://www.grammarly.com/

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

19 minutes ago, Villageslayer said:

is that your BTC adress in your status?

No, just a Base64 encoded quote in my signature. 🙂
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear."

Saw that quote in BackTrack, which is now Kali Linux, a penetration testing distro.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

2 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

No, just a Base64 encoded quote in my signature. 🙂
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear."

Saw it first in BackTrack, which is now Kali Linux, a penetration testing distro.

sad if it would have been your btc adress i would have sent 5$ to it XD

3 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Before you post anything on the LTT forum, run what you are going to post through Grammarly.

Thanks, but doesn't the saxon genitive apply there?

Use it, that is the main thing.

Cut grammar nazis out of your life, seriously these people will never give your life value, so just ignore them..  (I've sat in rooms doing 100million dollar projects, where progress has been halted for weeks because of anally fixated people, that discuss right punctuation, or a single sentence which has NO value when getting approval, yes it needs to be clear and spelling is important, and text needs to be strong especially on things like the summery) 

the best way to learn is to try, fall and try again, this is how you move forward, people get so scared of expressing them selves, because of a possibility of being misunderstood (even worse in the woke society we live in now)..

personally I used to be strong in both English, German, French and a bit of Italian, not perfect in anyway, but i could communicate, and to be honest, I have lost both French and Italian, and my German is so rusty, since mostly only used when hiring in consultants, or our German partners. And we normally revert to English if possible.

Please do not use all these "autocorrection" systems, YES it might make it look better, and even make it easier to understand, but you loose the mechanics of learning, and learning to be fast to communicate. some times you do only have 1 hour to do 10 pages of business case proposals, or other elements, where it just needs to freeflow text, to reach a deadline.

So write, and get feedback from human beings. instead of just getting solutions from a system.

5 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Grammarly is terrible to learn grammar as a non-native speaker for the exact same reason Word's grammar correction is terrible: They largely ignore context and tell you how to write in a specific style that has been arbitrarily decided was good by the developers. These types of programs always strongly encourage writing active sentences, even though a passive sentence would make more sense stylistically or even communicate something radically different than the active counterpart depending on connotations that the software simply can't take into account. They also tend to favor a less verbose way of writing, never mind that Word for example detests contractions, thus robbing you of your own creative expression and they make everything sound like boring ad copy. 

The way I tend to improve my grammar is simply by reading and listening to more English-language media. Textbooks only get you so far, you need to actually interact with the language everyday people are using in their day-to-day lives. That means encountering slang and idioms that rarely get covered by teaching tools. If you do that enough, at some point a switch flips that lets you intuit the grammar even in instances when you're unfamiliar with a word or expression, simply through sheer experience.

Another method is to purposely pick out a piece of writing about a topic you know next to nothing about and is likely to use a lot of words you aren't familiar with yet. If you look up the definition of a word you're unfamiliar with, you already have a practical lesson of how it's used in its proper context.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█