Razer Huntsman Mini causing slow boot on PC

jackstawow
Go to solution Solved by jackstawow,

Issue was fixed by updating the keyboard firmware with help from Razer support in r/razer. No idea how a firmware update never came to mind when I was trying to figure this out.

This is a weird one. Yesterday, I picked up a new Razer Huntsman Mini with the red switches. When I initially plugged everything in, everything worked as intended. Downloaded Synapse and the RGB editing software Razer has and played a little Apex Legends. Fast forward to this morning when I am turning my PC back on, only to find it takes forever for login to work, and when I get onto desktop and everything boots, the programs that normally start when Windows starts no longer were starting.

I immediately ran "sfc scannow" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" since I figured something maybe went wrong in the files. Both came up with nothing found or impacting, yet the issue persisted. I looked into how to reset the keyboard since I figured this could be the cause seeing the issue was not there before, and to my surprise, nothing. However, something compelled me to unplug the keyboard and restart to the PC, where to my surprise, everything started up as normal. I then plugged the keyboard when I was on the desktop and everything had started up and worked. Issue comes up anytime I start the computer with the keyboard plugged in.

The programs and Windows does eventually start correctly, but it does take a few minutes to. My Corsair K70 MK.2 does not experience this issue.

Any ideas?

36 minutes ago, jackstawow said:

This is a weird one. Yesterday, I picked up a new Razer Huntsman Mini with the red switches. When I initially plugged everything in, everything worked as intended. Downloaded Synapse and the RGB editing software Razer has and played a little Apex Legends. Fast forward to this morning when I am turning my PC back on, only to find it takes forever for login to work, and when I get onto desktop and everything boots, the programs that normally start when Windows starts no longer were starting.

I immediately ran "sfc scannow" and "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" since I figured something maybe went wrong in the files. Both came up with nothing found or impacting, yet the issue persisted. I looked into how to reset the keyboard since I figured this could be the cause seeing the issue was not there before, and to my surprise, nothing. However, something compelled me to unplug the keyboard and restart to the PC, where to my surprise, everything started up as normal. I then plugged the keyboard when I was on the desktop and everything had started up and worked. Issue comes up anytime I start the computer with the keyboard plugged in.

The programs and Windows does eventually start correctly, but it does take a few minutes to. My Corsair K70 MK.2 does not experience this issue.

Any ideas?

Seeing a lot of my new shiny high end  mouse with lots of special stuff is slowing things down” Try an old cheapass mouse that uses an old cheapass (but small and fast) driver

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Seeing a lot of my new shiny high end  mouse with lots of special stuff is slowing things down” Try an old cheapass mouse that uses an old cheapass (but small and fast) driver

I doubt this is the issue in my case. My Corsair K70 MK.2 with lights and everything turned on doesn't create this issue. PC works flawlessly with it plugged in.

Issue was fixed by updating the keyboard firmware with help from Razer support in r/razer. No idea how a firmware update never came to mind when I was trying to figure this out.