GTA Finally coming to switch?! - GTA trilogy full remaster rumored

Bratstech

Finally!

Summary

It is rumored that GTA 3, Vice City and (Drum roll plz) San Andreas is rumored to be getting a remaster in unreal engine! the rumor comes from Kotaku which has learned that the remastered trilogy is being worked on from Rockstar Games. The report reads "there will be a mix of new and old graphics". Of Course these rumors have been around for years at this point but have really started gaining traction since Rockstar has been issuing DMCA takedowns for fan remasters. The trilogy was originally going to come with the Series X/S and PS5 port of GTA 5 but plans changed and shifted to just make it its own standalone release. The report states that the console ports are being prioritized and the PC and mobile port could be released next year as a result.

Quotes

"One of Kotaku's sources told the publication that they saw footage of the remasters running and that the graphics reminded them of a heavily-modded version of a classic GTA game. The UI is being remastered for each game too, although the classic style and design of each will remain the same. According to Kotaku, these titles are hoping to "stay true to the PS2-era GTA games as much as possible."" -IGN

My thoughts

I finally will be able to play a GTA on my switch. eventually. I believe that it was an inevitability that GTA would come to switch weather that be the mobile phone version or an actual remastered port. but I am glad to see that these three are getting an actual remaster and not a reeeeeeemaster (Scott the woz fans will get that). 

Sources

Report: Grand Theft Auto Remastered Trilogy Is In the Works, Including for Switch - IGN

https://wccftech.com/grand-theft-auto-trilogy-remaster-coming/#:~:text=The original Grand Theft Auto%3A The Trilogy is,to PlayStation 4 complete with some enhanced features.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/126107/grand-theft-auto-remastered-trilogy-rumored-for-a-fall-release

edit: i said vice city twice by accident. fixed.

Edited by Bratstech
title update. typo

9 minutes ago, Bratstech said:

Vice City 2 is rumored to be getting a remaster in unreal engine!

xdoubt. R* Has been known to pretty much repeatedly uses RAGE based engine, no matter what.

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

should we make GTA 6 yet?

"Nah, that youtuber Sernandoe already made it, we cant be plagiarist"

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, Bratstech said:

Summary

It is rumored that GTA 3, Vice City and (Drum roll plz) Vice City is rumored

Vice City and Vice City?

🤨 Small mistake there. Should be San Andreas in your Summary.

As for the the subject matter at hand... Cool if true. Would love to see a remaster of Vice City.

But as far as I can tell, this is just Kotaku(the ones who made the original article and whom every other publications based their story on) making up an entire article based on a single tweet from a "reliable leaker" who just said "yes" to a question about whether or not a remake/remaster of the games were in development. Along with reports that Take-Two is supposedly working on 3 more remaster/remake. Which could be any other games, not necessarily GTA.

As such, I'm not holding my breath on this one. I'll believe it when actual news about it comes out, not just a tweet and circumstantial evidences. (Not to mention all the licensing issues there'd be for the ingame radio)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

Vice City and Vice City?

🤨 Small mistake there. Should be San Andreas in your Summary.

As for the the subject matter at hand... Cool if true. Would love to see a remaster of Vice City.

But as far as I can tell, this is just Kotaku making up an entire entire based on a single tweet from a "reliable leaker" who just said "yes" to a question about whether or not a remake/remaster of the games were in development. Along with reports that Take-Two is supposedly working on 3 more remaster/remake. Which could be any other games, not necessarily GTA.

As such, I'm not holding my breath on this one. I'll believe it when actual news about it comes out, not just a tweet and circumstantial evidences. 

yea oops

vice city

please please please please please make the stupid remote control helicopter demolition mission optional.

It's worse than SA's remote control plane demolition mission 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Doesn't San Andreas have licensing issues? I would love it if they release a remaster for pc and linux too.

5 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Doesn't San Andreas have licensing issues? I would love it if they release a remaster for pc and linux too.

it's prolly one of the reasons that it's taking so long to come out.

53 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

"Oh, should we make GTA 6 yet? It's been over half a decade."

"Nah, release some 10 year old games on Switch!"

20 year old games

55 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

"Nah, release some 10 year old games on Switch!"

That is basically the switch's library.

5 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

xdoubt. R* Has been known to pretty much repeatedly uses RAGE based engine, no matter what.

Nah, 3D Era GTA games were on Criterions Renderware engine, right up to the point EA bought Criterion and Renderware with it. R* had already signed contracts to use the engine for San Andreas & Bully so those went ahead as planned but weirdly LCS & VCS (which were Vita exclusives for a while before getting PS2 ports) apparently ran on a heavily modified version of RAGE.

I do believe Unreal would be a good choice since I'm pretty sure there are tools to import most of a Renderware project into Unreal meaning they only need to go in and fix issues and update all the assets, not build the entire game again.

The rumour states (and this is apparently from someone who has played a dev build) that R* aren't looking to do a REvil/Mafia Definitive style remake in a new engine, they want (and apparently have achieved) the games to be the exact same but on a newer engine with better graphics.

Plus recently Take 2 have been going ham on C&Ds for mods that "remaster" the old RW games and even mods that combine all the maps.

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

please please please please please make the stupid remote control helicopter demolition mission optional.

It's worse than SA's remote control plane demolition mission 

Its easy, just start at the top and work down instead of starting at the bottom and going up. Also fun fact, that particular SA mission has a scripting bug on the PS2 version meaning the fuel is used up twice as fast as it should be, the PC and Xbox ports both had this fixed (as do all the other modern ports).

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

All 3 have had issues, R* simply pulled them down, removed the offending songs and relisted the new builds. All 3 are on sale right now so there's no reason why a remaster couldn't happen under the current license.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, Bratstech said:

It is rumored that GTA 3, Vice City and (Drum roll plz) San Andreas is rumored to be getting a remaster in unreal engine! 

The fact that it is rumored to be done in unreal and not the RAGE engine and it being remasters makes me think this is a Warcraft Reforged scenario, where most of the actual development is actually outsourced.

At least it's not GTA V again, that's ... something.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

All 3 have had issues, R* simply pulled them down, removed the offending songs and relisted the new builds. All 3 are on sale right now so there's no reason why a remaster couldn't happen under the current license.

The music is such an important part of the GTA experience, though. Well, maybe not GTA 3. But Vice City and San Andreas it's a huge part of the game's appeal, and won't properly press the nostalgia button without it.

If they were actually doing a proper job of the remaster could they relicense all the music?

2 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

The music is such an important part of the GTA experience [...] Vice City 

GTA 3 is the best imo.

They nerfed the difficulty in the later installments, it was nice to have to know the map.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

17 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

I think thats just the soundtrack, so if they change the soundtrack, its fine. 

Vice City's licenses aren't going to cost much, unless they go for really expensive figures like Michael Jackson.

Look at the current songs (or 80s ones in general) on discogs and you'll see they get repackaged on compilations each three hours.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

14 hours ago, tikker said:

At least it's not GTA V again, that's ... something.

this is what i was thinking it article was going to be about.

"GTA V becomes the new skyrim"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

"GTA V becomes the new skyrim"

More like GTAO, R* is deadset on keeping this game alive. At least they are actively trying to make it better now instead of trying to milk it 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

3 hours ago, Silentprototipe said:

More like GTAO, R* is deadset on keeping this game alive. At least they are actively trying to make it better now instead of trying to milk it

When one game makes you and your parent company more money in a year than any other game has ever made fullstop are you surprised by this?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

18 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

The music is such an important part of the GTA experience, though. Well, maybe not GTA 3. But Vice City and San Andreas it's a huge part of the game's appeal, and won't properly press the nostalgia button without it.

If they were actually doing a proper job of the remaster could they relicense all the music?

Wait what? <checks list of removed songs>

Michael Jackson -"Billie Jean"
Michael Jackson -"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin"
Ozzy Osbourne -"Bark At The Moon"
Kate Bush -"Wow"
Herbie Hancock - "Rock It"
Afrika Bambaataa -"Looking For The Perfect Beat"
Lionel Richie - "Running with the night"

So are these licenses just for either the physical copy only or just like 10 years (well less, since VC hasn't even been out for 10 years yeah no, sorry brain, it's 2020)? Another thing to dislike about this kind of digitial distribution: you can just rob people of the full experience.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

35 minutes ago, tikker said:

well less, since VC hasn't even been out for 10 years

Untitled.png.b9b193d47ff0bbb21d4963af7bcaebcb.png