[Help!] Pulling my hair out dealing with new RX 6600 XT

Vulkan HeStan

I managed to find an RX 6600 XT (Powercolor fighter) in stock at RRP, by chance, so decided to bite the bullet and buy it

After receiving the card, I immediately put it in my system, but failed to register any output (computer POST'd fine). I then put my old GPU (GTX 960) back in and ran DDU

I then put my new card in again, but there was still no output. After some fiddling, I managed to get it to work with HDMI plugged in (the card refuses to cooperate with displayport) and was sent to windows fine

The card seemed to be working fine (fans spinning etc.) until part way through installing the drivers, the screen cut out. For whatever reason, the card kept turning the monitor on, the monitor would then state "no signal" and turn off, but then the monitor would turn back on, display "no signal", turn off in a loop

Because it was stuck in a loop, I turned the pc off, then turned it on again. It got to windows fine, but the driver wasn't fully installed, so I ran DDU again and tried to install the driver again. The exact same behaviour occurred. I tried this a couple of times, but to no avail

I've tried reseating the card, taking it out and putting it back in, I've checked to see if all physical connections are good, my old GTX 960 works fine, drivers installed and everything, when plugged in the same slot. I've tried different HDMI cables, but I don't have spare displayport cables even though my current one works fine with my current GPU

There are a couple of troubleshooting steps I think I could try, but they feel like clutching at straws:

-Updating the motherboard BIOS

-Installing drivers in safe mode

-Trying a different HDMI display (TV)

If anyone has any suggestions to troubleshoot this, that'd be much appreciated, but the strange displayport behaviour and refusal to cooperate with driver downloads makes me think the card is defective, which means RMAing it 😤

NOTE: the card's fans still spun when there was no output.

Windows didn't recognise my monitor when it was plugged into my new GPU (it displayed as "generic PnP monitor").

I've tried using onboard graphics but they don't work when a GPU is installed.

Can you make a small extra partition on your drive and dualboot with that? Might be something wrong with your Windows install.

For the displayport issue, make sure to push in the cable all the way. The plug is usually very tight on new cards and the 960 is pretty old so it probably loosend because of wear. 

Also AMD's drivers are often a mess early on. 5700 XT also had weird issues like this on launch. The only driver for this card is still beta which doesn't help this situation either. 

17 hours ago, thereisnospoon4u said:

Did you find a solution to this? got the same issue 😕

Updating the BIOS and loading into safe mode allowed me to download drivers, but games performed terribly, displayport still didn't work, and I couldn't load into windows when I rebooted the system

Ended up just RMA'ing the card

2 minutes ago, Aragorn- said:

I would suggest trying it in a different PC if you can.

The only other desktop I have can't run anything newer than Windows Vista. Besides, I no longer have the card because I've RMA'd it

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PercyGFX said:

same issue on Sapphire RX 6600XT Pulse

That's the third person that's having the same problem, obviously not an isolated issue 😕

I haven't found a solution and the seller denied the RMA and returned the card

10 hours ago, Vulkan HeStan said:

That's the third person that's having the same problem, obviously not an isolated issue 😕

I haven't found a solution and the seller denied the RMA and returned the card

why seller denied the RMA if card isn't working properly ? did you check  that card on a different system ?

by the way i even tried this card on HIVEOS (mining os) and no display from the boot. also card didn't recognized by the OS 😕

(i cant send this card to the seller right now since our area is locked down due to corona virus. will see)

• 2 months later...

I just got a new pc. Gigabyte B450M Gaming MB, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 16 GB of ram and RX 6600 XT. Instaled latest win 10 21h2 that is available for me and got all the updates. When i boot on post both of my monitors work. But when it starts loading window only the one on HDMI is working. Second monitor that is on DP goes into power save mode. And system dose not give me any options for setting the resolution of that monitor. It reads it at 640x480. But when i plug it into my HDMI it shows up just fine .

OK i found something that may help you guys. It helped me i don't know why. Go into your Radeon driver software and go into settings. Open Display card and you should be having all displays shown but for some reason one of them shows picture and other goes into power-save mode. Just change Pixel Format from RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard to RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format Sturio and it should work. I'll add picture under what to change.

RADEON.thumb.PNG.a44b6b1ddcadc7144ec49874a9d31995.PNG

• 1 month later...

First off I expect my case to be on the rare side but with same symptoms here is my setup

Amd Ryzen 2600

Gigabyte 6600xt eagle 

Samsung 870 ssd

2x older HD

Aours B450 Pro WIFI 

EVGA 650 gq

KIngston HyperX 16gig 8gigx2 ddr4

As it seemed that one day it was working ok and when I returned to my pc it appeared that it went into sleep mode and I couldnt re activate my screen. I then force restarted my pc. Next nothing no image no nothing. I had installed a cheap speaker to the motherboard and heard 1 long beep follwed by 2 short. I looked it up and showed video card failure.

I read alot of people say its RAM its RAM.... or its video RAM failure. Well it wasnt....

I tried everything I removed my video card, reinserted, nothing

I removed both ram no beeps at all.

I reinserted 1 stick same 1 long 2 short... tried on all 4 slots... then tried other stick in all 4 same thing

I then went and got a old video card gtx750 installed... BOOM works fine...Now im thinking failed video card even though I bought in a store not scalped.

Next then installed my 6600xt into our other pc in the house... BOOM boots up fine works display in all. 

Now thinking its the motherboard reading failed pcie slot.

Also as a side note last 2 months when gameing Im achieving good FPS but noticing after being on for a day or so and reloading a game my fps would be like 10fps.. I do a quick reboot and its back to 100 not sure why.

I had already updated my bios on my motherboard right before I got the video card... but since there was one new update so I did that with my gtx750... then also ran memtest86 and ram checked out 100% 

then removed cmos battery from mother board reinstalled to no result same issue 1 long 2 short....

then checked my connecting swapped out the 8 pin connector to my video card no result..

BUT..... then as I run a single video card setup i can confirm all voltages were fine as they appeared. so I removed the vga connection off the PSU in which i had it plugged into vga 2 on my psu... i swapped to vga 1 and boom starts up and fine.. so my vga 2 plugin is dead on my psu. 

Now it runs 100% maybe better than before not 1 issue since. So even though my psu is 150 watts higher than recomended and gold rated that connection is bad... 

So if you have a similar psu try swapping connection off the psu if you can... for me it was a connection that was showing ok.. but guessing its voltage was fine but no amperage to run the video card. 

Now on the hunt for a new psu mine is maybe 3-4 yr old. 

Hope this can maybe help someone. 

First off I expect my case to be on the rare side but with same symptoms here is my setup

Amd Ryzen 2600

Gigabyte 6600xt eagle 

Samsung 870 ssd

2x older HD

Aours B450 Pro WIFI 

EVGA 650 gq

KIngston HyperX 16gig 8gigx2 ddr4

As it seemed that one day it was working ok and when I returned to my pc it appeared that it went into sleep mode and I couldnt re activate my screen. I then force restarted my pc. Next nothing no image no nothing. I had installed a cheap speaker to the motherboard and heard 1 long beep follwed by 2 short. I looked it up and showed video card failure.

I read alot of people say its RAM its RAM.... or its video RAM failure. Well it wasnt....

I tried everything I removed my video card, reinserted, nothing

I removed both ram no beeps at all.

I reinserted 1 stick same 1 long 2 short... tried on all 4 slots... then tried other stick in all 4 same thing

I then went and got a old video card gtx750 installed... BOOM works fine...Now im thinking failed video card even though I bought in a store not scalped.

Next then installed my 6600xt into our other pc in the house... BOOM boots up fine works display in all. 

Now thinking its the motherboard reading failed pcie slot.

Also as a side note last 2 months when gameing Im achieving good FPS but noticing after being on for a day or so and reloading a game my fps would be like 10fps.. I do a quick reboot and its back to 100 not sure why.

I had already updated my bios on my motherboard right before I got the video card... but since there was one new update so I did that with my gtx750... then also ran memtest86 and ram checked out 100% 

then removed cmos battery from mother board reinstalled to no result same issue 1 long 2 short....

then checked my connecting swapped out the 8 pin connector to my video card no result..

Also my drivers where up to date but regardless it dont matter as microsoft has generic to at least let it run

BUT..... then as I run a single video card setup i can confirm all voltages were fine as they appeared. so I removed the vga connection off the PSU in which i had it plugged into vga 2 on my psu... i swapped to vga 1 and boom starts up and fine.. so my vga 2 plugin is dead on my psu. 

Now it runs 100% maybe better than before not 1 issue since. So even though my psu is 150 watts higher than recomended and gold rated that connection is bad... 

So if you have a similar psu try swapping connection off the psu if you can... for me it was a connection that was showing ok.. but guessing its voltage was fine but no amperage to run the video card. 

Now on the hunt for a new psu mine is maybe 3-4 yr old. 

Hope this can maybe help someone. 

A rare or not rare Fluke? I wouldn't know if Powercolor tends to produce Lemons or not. But I've always used Nvidia GPUs since I built My first Rig in 2000.

what I was referring is the card is fine your problem can be elsewhere.... I was just lucky enough to have another computer to test with. I have a Gigabyte Eagle 8 gig 6600xt... I thought was junk but was fine.... 

have you guys tried going into mobo bios and switching pcie slot to lastest gen and not on auto

I know I had to do this twice to get it to recognize a card

problem for most people with this issue is the fact your monitor wont turn on. so how would you change settings without seeing it. I was just lucky enough to have another computer to test on. 

2 hours ago, snosrap said:

problem for most people with this issue is the fact your monitor wont turn on. so how would you change settings without seeing it. I was just lucky enough to have another computer to test on. 

Hopefully integrated graphics on a CPU or an old graphics card.  I keep an old very basic tester graphics card in storage, because some of my CPUs have had no integrated graphics.

3 hours ago, Quartz11 said:

Hopefully integrated graphics on a CPU or an old graphics card.  I keep an old very basic tester graphics card in storage, because some of my CPUs have had no integrated graphics.

i have one of those old msi gpus from around when AGP was cool, but i think its pci (e?) , tbh i woulda be hella scared to put it in my pc lol...

thankfully i also still have a 2200g, a 1050ti, a 1060 and a x1950gt (which is also very old obviously) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 10 months later...

If anyone is still having issues I figured mine out. Disable HDCP support in Overrides.