Palit 3060 LHR bypass

Long story short i have two gaming/mining machines

A 3070 and a 2060. Both great for gaming but the 2060 is not a great miner. 

Amazon uk finally have some Palit 3060s at a fairly hefty price. Im considering upgrading the 2060 rig but only if the LHR is easy to bypass. If not i wont bother as its fine for gaming and cuts a small mining profit still. 

Hope what i'm asking is not illegal. If so please remove 

There was the dev driver, but technically you're not supposed to have that and I don't know if they'll work on every 3060 card now out there.

The limiter only affects (to my knowledge) the ethash algorithm however, so you can always just try mining something that is not ETH.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

34 minutes ago, tikker said:

There was the dev driver, but technically you're not supposed to have that and I don't know if they'll work on every 3060 card now out there.

The limiter only affects (to my knowledge) the ethash algorithm however, so you can always just try mining something that is not ETH.

Ahh. I mine bitcoin so that would be good. 

Can anyone confirm the above? Can offload my 2060 to someone on the cheap then

27 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

Ahh. I mine bitcoin so that would be good. 

Can anyone confirm the above? Can offload my 2060 to someone on the cheap then

You aren't, because you can't mine Bitcoin on a GPU.

Are you using NiceHash by chance? That simply mines whatever is most profitable and pays you in BTC.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

4 minutes ago, tikker said:

You aren't, because you can't mine Bitcoin on a GPU.

Are you using NiceHash by chance? That simply mines whatever is most profitable and pays you in BTC.

I am using nicehash actually! 

It gives me the option of which currency to mine though? Ive not tried anything other than bc so this is very interesting. 

That's a very clever but also misleading feature if so. 

11 minutes ago, irishbeast said:

I am using nicehash actually! 

It gives me the option of which currency to mine though? Ive not tried anything other than bc so this is very interesting. 

That's a very clever but also misleading feature if so. 

It's because NiceHash isn't what people tend to think it is. It is a hashrate market place. You are selling your hashpower and people rent that to mine their coins. In return for your work you get paid in BTC.

Probably a stupid question but been offered an msi 3060 for a fraction more. LHR version again

Assume the workaround is same regardless of brand? 

Another stupid question but given the nicehash info above would the LHR restriction even apply? 

On 8/13/2021 at 9:40 PM, irishbeast said:

Probably a stupid question but been offered an msi 3060 for a fraction more. LHR version again

Assume the workaround is same regardless of brand? 

Yeah it's the same to my knowledge.

On 8/13/2021 at 9:43 PM, irishbeast said:

Another stupid question but given the nicehash info above would the LHR restriction even apply? 

Yes the LHR restriction applies whenever you are mining ETH or something with the ethash algorithm. If NiceHash starts mining ETH, it'll suffer from it.

On 8/15/2021 at 12:22 AM, tikker said:

Yeah it's the same to my knowledge.

Yes the LHR restriction applies whenever you are mining ETH or something with the ethash algorithm. If NiceHash starts mining ETH, it'll suffer from it.

Thanks - I'm tempted to try one and see. Can probably sell on fairly easily if I can't get round the LHR. Or keep it and sell the 2060 as it only does 28mh/s or whatever anyway, compared to 55 from the 3070. If I could get another card doing a similar speed I'd be happy enough with 130+ hash power

Its annoying as its impossible to know if a card has LHR from the adverts as its something that will put people off assumingly. 

Are all new 3060s LHR or are there certain brands which dont have it?

1 hour ago, irishbeast said:

Its annoying as its impossible to know if a card has LHR from the adverts as its something that will put people off assumingly. 

Are all new 3060s LHR or are there certain brands which dont have it?

Don't know how it works for every store, but at least over here they indicate whether it's LHR or not. Every new card is an LHR variant for sure. The question is how much old stock is still left / coming in. I don't see any LHR stock around here anymore, and they were around €2500 for like a 3080, so my guess is that well has now run dry.

Interestingly there are quite a few 3060s around and not on eBay here in the UK. Prices still crap but can get a 3060ti 12gb for as "low" as £500 ($690). It's a pny which isn't the best brand. Alternative is Palit brand again not a household name but at £650 ($800ish). Finally the MSI version which is £950 ($1300) .

The palit one is really small compared to the others so would slot on my board beside my 3070 without restricting airflow. It's very tempting! 12 month warranty so if it did pack in after 12 months I'd have gamed on it and easily mined the money back if I could get round the LHR which I think I can. The pny one would pay for itself easily in 6 months and would be better for gaming than the 2060 I have in my second rig. Could maybe sell it to part fund the new one and get a card to a gamer instead of a mining scumbag like me 🙂

Any thoughts on palit Vs PNY? Same card model. Same specs. Just a variation in price. 

Got the 3060ti today 8gb version having sought some advice. 

So simple to bypass LHR on nicehash. Daggarhashimoto was maxed at 26mhs but swapped to octopus which is hitting 64mhs. 

I know it's not proper mining but I'm only a part timer and I'm happy with the result. Looks much the same as the 3070 I have in terms of gaming. Maybe a few FPS slower. The 3060ti LHR are fairly easy to get now. Still expensive but for someone who likes casual gaming and mining they are perfect!

2 hours ago, irishbeast said:

So simple to bypass LHR on nicehash. Daggarhashimoto was maxed at 26mhs but swapped to octopus which is hitting 64mhs.

Two "problems" with this:

1. You can't really compare MH/s on one algo to MH/s on the other algo. It's similar to comparing 4 GHz on one CPU to 5 GHz on a completely different CPU with a different architecture.
  2. That's not bypassing the LHR restriction. As I said above, the LHR restriction only applies to Ethereum (ethash). No ethash, no limiter. This was demonstrated shortly after LHR came out, when people showed octopus working just fine.

In the end all that matters if whether you are making a profit and if you're happy with it.

6 minutes ago, tikker said:

Two "problems" with this:

1. You can't really compare MH/s on one algo to MH/s on the other algo. It's similar to comparing 4 GHz on one CPU to 5 GHz on a completely different CPU with a different architecture.
  2. That's not bypassing the LHR restriction. As I said above, the LHR restriction only applies to Ethereum (ethash). No ethash, no limiter. This was demonstrated shortly after LHR came out, when people showed octopus working just fine.

In the end all that matters if whether you are making a profit and if you're happy with it.

Absolutely my friend. I meant 46 not 64 btw. Typo 

Yeah I didn't think MHS were all perfectly comparable but it's going to add $4.50 USD a day which I am happy with so not too bothered about the finer details 

The card I bought shot up in price massively the following day on Amazon as they must have sold out within hours.  Prices are coming down here definitely but still not enough!!

On 8/11/2021 at 9:36 PM, tikker said:

470.05, I have it

But there's two variant of 3060, the regular 3060 with limiter that was bypassed with the driver

And the 3060 LHR, which is recently bypassed from 50% to 70%

I tried using 3060 as daily driver, but the inability to update my driver because of reduced hash rate isn't worth it imo, unless it's dedicated mining machine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

470.05, I have it

But there's two variant of 3060, the regular 3060 with limiter that was bypassed with the driver

And the 3060 LHR, which is recently bypassed from 50% to 70%

I tried using 3060 as daily driver, but the inability to update my driver because of reduced hash rate isn't worth it imo, unless it's dedicated mining machine

Yeah I wasn't sure if there was like a 3060 LHR v2 that wasn't supported by the dev driver.