720p never looked so sharp: RPCS3 is getting FSR support

Mark Kaine

"It has not even been a month since AMD launched its upscaling technology as an open-source alternative to competing super-resolution techniques. The technology has now been adopted by various gaming software and launchers, such as Magpie or Valve’s Wine implementation for Proton. It looks like gamers enjoying console games on PCs can now also see the technology in action."

E8HZfH_XMAAFZVm.png.bdfff6d566fe184f54f53b937e159052.png

I've been waiting for this… RPCS3 team keeps being impressive how quick they are!

Also this is bigger than you might think, many PS3 games dont run properly on the emulator outside  of their original resolution (which is usually 720p) or have outrageous requirements to run at higher res, so those games should benefit a lot from this!

Also Im finally getting to try FSR as I dont own a current gen game that uses it, and dont plan to any time soon either.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/rpcs3-open-source-playstation-3-emulator-now-supports-amd-fidelityfx-super-resolution

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Well that's interesting, as a huge epsxe and PCSX2 user I've yet to bother to even try a PS3 emulator. Maybe it's because most of my games I also own a PC copy (yay that being a thing in modern gaming now) and anything not I sort of prefer playing on the console rather than try the hassle of an emulator and any potential performance issues.

Having said the above one thing that would push me to trying RPCS3 would be if it were possible to get 2x - 3x in game time/speed, boy that was a huge time saver back in the day for JRPG games lol.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Well that's interesting, as a huge epsxe and PCSX2 user I've yet to bother to even try a PS3 emulator. Maybe it's because most of my games I also own a PC copy (yay that being a thing in modern gaming now) and anything not I sort of prefer playing on the console rather than try the hassle of an emulator and any potential performance issues.

Having said the above one thing that would push me to trying RPCS3 would be if it were possible to get 2x - 3x in game time/speed, boy that was a huge time saver back in the day for JRPG games lol.

There are hacks for a few games to get more than 1x speed, but most are locked

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

The reason i wanted to get a gaming pc was entirely ps1 and ps2 emulation (ps3 emulation wasnt a thing yet) mainly because of how awful these games looked on a hdtv and also because its kind of a pain to get the games running on consoles, especially ps2, all of mine had "bad lasers" for some reason - really frustrating… anyways i bought a laptop (in hindsight bad decision because its really pretty weak, the store kinda ripped me off too lol) but it actually does run ps1/ps2 pretty well, so that was cool at least (i57200/940mx, which really was "low" even new, but i didn't know any better…)

And fast forward, turns out i still like playing old games and there are a ton of great ones I have never layed or finished, like for example Heavenly Sword, which you can only play on "Playstation".

Yeah, setting stuff up can be annoying but generally it either works or it doesnt , stuff that doesnt is hardly ever truly fixable by the user in my experience. But yeah, PCRS3 especially is pretty incredible how fast they progress… PCSX2 took very long, but its probably the most mature emu right now.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yeah, it doesnt look like thats an option… however:

Spoiler

Use cheat engine

Select the process and check "enable speedhack". Don't go too fast, Forrest!

iBobRoss what have we done.

Nobody should be forced to eat their breakfast curry this fast with a grumpy old man staring them down in silence.

In other words it works, thanks man!

https://amp.reddit.com/r/rpcs3/comments/76p7yo/is_there_a_turbo_button_in_rpcs3/

Take that how you want, but Im not responsible if your pc blows up or something! 😅

(cheat engine is too complicated for me, barely ever use it, but it can be actually useful - i had no idea it works on emulators?  👀 )

PS: you could also ask on the rpcs3 discord, they will say "nope" but if they find it slightly interesting they'll do it anyways. : P

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

PCSX2 took very long, but its probably the most mature emu right now

Yea, I've been using PCSX2 before it could even run non home brew commercial games lol. FF10 on a Intel E7300 was slow AF, I may have even tired it before that PC on an AMD FX-55/57 (forget which but one of the original FX CPUs).

Also the PCSX2 inbuilt upscaling and other advanced plugins do such a better job than the game remasters that have come out have. It's pretty rough going back to the original experience on the console when you've played hundreds of hours of the game using the emulator. I did a input switching compare with FF12, oofff cannot go back.

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

(cheat engine is too complicated for me, barely ever use it, but it can be actually useful - i had no idea it works on emulators?  👀 )

I have a lot of experience using Cheat Engine 😉

Also the gameshark and equivalent CDs work in emulators and the emulators also have more native inbuilt support as well. There's also save game editors. Cheat Engine often isn't even required but it's also a nice quick and dirty way of giving yourself 1 billion gold and ton of EXP with next to no effort. 

• 2 weeks later...

I must be the only person who hates PCSX2, I always get so many annoying bugs on textures, textboxes screwed up, sound bugs, etc whether on the old 1.4.2 stable, the 1.5.0 stable, the new 1.6.0 stable, or the nightly builds I have tried. I much prefer just playing PS2 games on my PS2 over component. Yeah it looks awful on composite but just as good as playing on a BC PS3 over HDMI when I'm using component cables with my PS2.

10 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I must be the only person who hates PCSX2, I always get so many annoying bugs on textures, textboxes screwed up, sound bugs, etc whether on the old 1.4.2 stable, the 1.5.0 stable, the new 1.6.0 stable, or the nightly builds I have tried. I much prefer just playing PS2 games on my PS2 over component. Yeah it looks awful on composite but just as good as playing on a BC PS3 over HDMI when I'm using component cables with my PS2.

its kinda hit and miss, but most games work really well, they really made great improvements, with auto updating patches/hacks and stuff, for most games there are widescreen patches available also…

I really do recommend Fatal Frame Crimson Butterfly in 4k, absolutely stunning, i dont think think there are many games with such clear visuals, and also the gameplay is fun and actually "unique". 

… I mostly played fighting games, which the emulator always had issues with due to input lag and other shenenigans, its been improved, but I actually prefer the PS3 versions of these games, if they exist, RPCS3 is just way more smooth (for certain games / engines)

If you give PCSX2 another try definitely download newest version. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

its kinda hit and miss, but most games work really well, they really made great improvements, with auto updating patches/hacks and stuff, for most games there are widescreen patches available also…

I really do recommend Fatal Frame Crimson Butterfly in 4k, absolutely stunning, i dont think think there are many games with such clear visuals, and also the gameplay is fun and actually "unique". 

… I mostly played fighting games, which the emulator always had issues with due to input lag and other shenenigans, its been improved, but I actually prefer the PS3 versions of these games, if they exist, RPCS3 is just way more smooth (for certain games / engines)

If you give PCSX2 another try definitely download newest version. 

What kind of cpu do you need these days to get decent performance? I run a Xeon E3-1231v3 (like a Haswell i7 minus integrated graphics) and a 1660 Super and for instance Dragon Quest VIII just feels like the frame pacing is bad on PCSX2-1.6.0 vs playing it on my real PS2. 

I usually stay away from the widescreen patches since there is undefined behavior in that area. Like if I play Persona 3 FES with a widescreen patch sometimes you'll see characters walk in place at the edge of the screen for a second or two before they're supposed to walk into the normal 4:3 field of view. It's pretty funny to see.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What kind of cpu do you need these days to get decent performance? I run a Xeon E3-1231v3 (like a Haswell i7 minus integrated graphics) and a 1660 Super and for instance Dragon Quest VIII just feels like the frame pacing is bad on PCSX2-1.6.0 vs playing it on my real PS2. 

I usually stay away from the widescreen patches since there is undefined behavior in that area. Like if I play Persona 3 FES with a widescreen patch sometimes you'll see characters walk in place at the edge of the screen for a second or two before they're supposed to walk into the normal 4:3 field of view. It's pretty funny to see.

4c/8t is "recommended"* but i agree some games still have rather high input latency in PCSX2 , which i only managed to fix a few times by running as close to the real thing possible, just the basic upscale function basically. This is really why i prefer RPCS3, it doesnt seem to have these latency issues at all. 

I just played through Lollipop Chainsaw at 60fps + FSR and had a blast, especially due to how responsive it felt!

*I have no real issues running PCSX2  on my i5u laptop which has 2c/4t however  (just cant upscale  as high)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 8/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, Mark Kaine said:

PCSX2

Wow.. Didnt know there was an emulator for Ps2 games.. Just found a bunch of games from my father from PS1, PS2 and Nintendo 64 Era.

Is there a way to play cd's into pcs to load saves with this emulator?

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

3 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Wow.. Didnt know there was an emulator for Ps2 games.. Just found a bunch of games from my father from PS1, PS2 and Nintendo 64 Era.

Is there a way to play cd's into pcs to load saves with this emulator?

It looks like you can dump the disks with a standard drive. https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Ripping_Games#Sony_PlayStation_1.2F2

For saves you would need homebrew or external hardware to get saves from the memory card.

• 1 month later...

Some news around emulation and FSR, great news for emulation.

RPCS3 Showing off their implementation of FSR.

Using some from what was first added around the 6th of august.

RetroArch getting FSR

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1118310/view/2957164587049361993

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) has been ported to Libretro/RetroArch!

A very generous contributor submitted a fully working implementation of AMD FSR as an slang shader for use in RetroArch! This shader should be fully compatible with the following video drivers in RetroArch:
Metal, OpenGL Core (or at least 4.0 with regular OpenGL driver), Vulkan, Direct3D 11, Direct3D 12

On top of this straight port of FSR, he also took the time to remake the SMAA shader.

mainly because FSR requires good looking AA (Anti-Aliasing) otherwise it wouldn't make much sense. In the end, quality gains were marginal, pretty much imperceptible. Despite that, there is also an AMD FSR+SMAA preset that you can use.

Ys_Seven_undub-fsr.png

Edited by Quackers101

1 minute ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Some pretty nice results. 

yes, but inbefore AAA studios sell their old titles as "remastered" for full price, with just the new things added being FSR into as default option and some updated textures (maybe AI upscaled).

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

yes, but inbefore AAA studios sell their old titles as "remastered" for full price, with just the new things added being FSR into as default option and some updated textures (maybe AI upscaled).

The way things are going, if they do that and don't break anything, it should already be considered a great accomplishment. (e.g. Warcraft 3 and Saints Row remasters were a disaster)