I tryed to boot windows now its broken.

kucharczykt

I had been running ZorinOS mainly to try it out and now I want to switch back. So I downloaded windows on an external drive and tryed to boot from it. I got a zorin boot up screen and now it's got lines of code showing. I typed in help and tryed a few of the options that looked like they might help (exit and continue only I think). Then I typed in yes and it entered "y" for a seemingly indefindent time.

I've restarted my PC multiple times booting from both the internal and external drives. The only difference is sometimes I get big font.

help.

3 minutes ago, kucharczykt said:

So I downloaded windows on an external drive and tryed to boot from it.

How exactly did you download Windows to an external drive? In order to boot from it, it would have to be installed and/or otherwise made into a bootable installation disk. I assume you go back into Zorin each time, because the external disk isn't actually bootable.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

How exactly did you download Windows to an external drive? In order to boot from it, it would have to be installed and/or otherwise made into a bootable installation disk. I assume you go back into Zorin each time, because the external disk isn't actually bootable.

I downloaded the iso file from the Microsoft website onto an external hard drive. I used this method to install zorin and it worked so I assumed it would work for windows too (I formatted the drive before installing windows). If that wasn't the right way to do it that still wouldn't explain why zorin won't boot.

10 minutes ago, christoplayz said:

try to reinstall it

I can't open anything but the bios. I can't reinstall it.

2 minutes ago, kucharczykt said:

I downloaded the iso file from the Microsoft website onto an external hard drive. I used this method to install zorin and it worked so I assumed it would work for windows too (I formatted the drive before installing windows). If that wasn't the right way to do it that still wouldn't explain why zorin won't boot.

You cant install windows on external media like you can do on Linux. Can you give a picture of the "code" you are seeing?

18 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

You cant install windows on external media like you can do on Linux. Can you give a picture of the "code" you are seeing?

20210806_004703.jpg

22 minutes ago, christoplayz said:

can you swap ssds?

Im on a laptop so yes but actually no.

23 minutes ago, kucharczykt said:

20210806_004703.jpg

Which Laptop you have? Are you able to go into a virtual Console by pressing Ctrl+ALT+F3?

5 minutes ago, WickedThunder86 said:

Which Laptop you have? Are you able to go into a virtual Console by pressing Ctrl+ALT+F3?

It's an older HP of some sort.

I'm going to bed so I probably won't respond for a few hours.

1 hour ago, kucharczykt said:

I had been running ZorinOS mainly to try it out and now I want to switch back. So I downloaded windows on an external drive and tryed to boot from it. I got a zorin boot up screen and now it's got lines of code showing. I typed in help and tryed a few of the options that looked like they might help (exit and continue only I think). Then I typed in yes and it entered "y" for a seemingly indefindent time.

I've restarted my PC multiple times booting from both the internal and external drives. The only difference is sometimes I get big font.

help.

I have no idea how im going to write this... but ill give it a try...

UEFI BOOT vs LEGACY (bios) BOOT...

So [UEFI] looks for [UEFI Partition] first... 
When [UEFI] is installed onto [This one disk] it modifies all [GPT-UEFI] (EFI, W/e]
= = = Its like a "Sub-Boot Order"

meaning,
BIOS: Looks for any boot "instructions" on all drives.
Whereas...
UEFI: Looks for any boot instructions with its "Name" (specific to its hardware)

There are some steps I take when installing UEFI OS's (solely to make it easy...)
(Namely... disabling my SATA PORTS on my DISK RAID or any other boot disks)
(((This may be cheating... but i dont care, I dont feel like setting that sh** up correctly)))

On 8/6/2021 at 1:13 AM, WickedThunder86 said:

It makes it go blank. Now what?

20210807_232500.jpg