I need help upgrading my gpu (im a newbie)

Foxxx
Go to solution Solved by Foxxx,
6 hours ago, jaslion said:

You just unplug both gpu's?

NEVER mix cables between psu's UNLESS THEY ARE 1000% compatible.

I don't get why you would take the cables with the card. Your current 1070 is plugged in with at least a 8 and 6 pin. Just plug the 8pin into the 3070. However if it's the 3070 founders all you need to do is use the adapter cable and plug the 8 pin in there.

For the other pc just grab 2 6+2 pin cables or if you have separate 8 and 6 pin pcie power cables use those and plug them into the cards.

Thank you

So im upgrading my current gpu (1070 ti) to a rtx 3070 ti suprim x.

my current gpu is still installed in my current build but im going to take it out in a second.

the new gpu is also already installed in a different build so basically im just swapping the gpu’s.

my question is, can i just use the cables from the new gpu and use them in my build and use my gpu’s cables and put them in the other build or do i need to buy new cables?

i got a new psu coming to my home tomorow so my pc will have enough watt but tomorow is when i will be swapping gpu’s but since im going over to the person with the rtx 3070 ti i wana know this now😅.

if i explained it weird at some point just let me know:)

6 minutes ago, YourAveragePolishGuy said:

Well for a short way of saying it. Yes. Long way, Nvidia released the 12 pin connector with their rtx 30 series so you might have to switch it out with that. But im not so sure because it still might have and 8 pin or 6 pin on it. (Ive never owned one). Ive also been using a mac my whole life so don't take my word for it but I have built a few pc's with my friends and a 30 series card has never been in my builds.

Oh okay, also im trying to remove my gpu and its cables to move it to the different pc tomorow but the part of the cable that goes to the psu is so confusing. I dont get anything about what i see xd.

image.jpg

image.jpg

55 minutes ago, YourAveragePolishGuy said:

That cable is what powers the gpu. What is the problem exactly?

The one with the red stripes.

well i dont know if i can do the following things:

-take out gtx 1070 ti with its cables from my pc.
-take out rtx 3070 ti from different computer with its cables.

-put gtx 1070 ti in other computer and the cables from the 1070 ti in the psu.

-take the rtx 3070 ti to my pc.

-swap my psu for a better one so my system has enough power.

-plug rtx 3070 ti in new psu in my pc.

Does this work? Can i use the cables from the gpu or do i get new cables with my new psu that i need to use.

Ive never replaced a gpu or psu before so yeah

I don't get why you would take the cables with the card. Your current 1070 is plugged in with at least a 8 and 6 pin. Just plug the 8pin into the 3070. However if it's the 3070 founders all you need to do is use the adapter cable and plug the 8 pin in there.

For the other pc just grab 2 6+2 pin cables or if you have separate 8 and 6 pin pcie power cables use those and plug them into the cards.

As jaslion says, the cables are part of the power supply, not the GPU. Trying to swap them between PSU's might cause serious damage, as the pinouts at the power supply end are not always the same. Leave the cables alone and jsut swap the cards.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Thank you