CPU at 42degrees while just in bios with aio

Gortyy

Hello everybody. Well I just built my computer it has an i9 10900F with an msi 360 aio and I noticed that I was at 42-54 degrees in the bios while enabling the xmp. Is that something normal ? I mean shouldn’t be that hot for just a bios interface 

That’s pretty normal.

All this depends on the power consumption of the processor. Consider that about a decade ago a 50c idle was normal for Core2 hardware and early i-series.

Pentium 4’s had an operating range of 45c to 70c and would idle around that 45c mark.

It’s a 10900F, the 65w tdp means very little, it’s a power hungry processor

I mean I’m just on the desk doing nothing and look the pic im

worried what would happen if I open a game note that I have a 360 aio and 7 fans 

image.jpg

snipping tool, bud. 

Mid 40's is fine. For context, the mobile version of that chip I have in my Macbook Pro, runs at 100C all the time unless I force the fans to max out. 

Unless your CPU is hitting 85-90C, you have nothing to worry about. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

That's normal for an i9 with a 360mm AIO. My 9900k is in that same range with a 360mm AIO. Depending on your setup you could possibly switch to a quality air cooler such as the NH-D15 or DRP4 and get the same if not better(depending on your setup and ambient temps) performance for much cheaper.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

9 hours ago, Gortyy said:

note that I have a 360 aio

thats part of the issue…

the other part is that its normal… i think intel is still on 12nm, right?

plus they have very poor power management, "tdp" means nothing to them…

…edit: 14nm… haha… i think thats like ps3 ps4 level?

Also note your CPU is far from idle, most games shouldnt even use it a lot more, so for all you know, these *are* your temps while playing (i suspect slightly  higher tho)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's normal for an i9 with a 360mm AIO. My 9900k is in that same range with a 360mm AIO. If you want better temps I'd recommend going for a beefy air cooler, like the DRP4 or Noctua NH-D15.

air cooler  better temps than a 360 AIO?

7 hours ago, NorKris said:

air cooler  better temps than a 360 AIO?

A good air cooler can be yes, you'll get very similar temps to a 360mm AIO but for much cheaper. It is also dependent on your ambient temps and airflow/cooling of the case itself. At least in my personal testing with the NH - D15 it was 1-2 degrees cooler in normal loads and idle and was pretty much on par maybe only 2 degrees warmer under load, which is a negligible difference. We're not talking wiping the floor with the AIO but the quality air coolers like the DRP4 and NH-D15 hold their own even against a 360mm AIO and will for the most part be on par, and if the factors are good they can even cool a little bit better. The big difference between the quality air coolers and AIO is price. You can get an NH-D15 or DRP4 for like $90 compared to a 360mm for like $130+. If you're overclocking, an AIO would be preferred but OP has a non K series 10900f with no iGPU, so a high quality air cooler would be good as long as the other conditions are right for it. I'm not saying that no matter what they're better but in a lot of circumstances they can bet better, it's situational. I can clarify that in my previous post, if that would appease you?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

A good air cooler can be yes, you'll get very similar temps to a 360mm AIO but for much cheaper. It is also dependent on your ambient temps and airflow/cooling of the case itself. At least in my personal testing with the NH - D15 it was 1-2 degrees cooler in normal loads and idle and was pretty much on par maybe only 2 degrees warmer under load, which is a negligible difference. We're not talking wiping the floor with the AIO but the quality air coolers like the DRP4 and NH-D15 hold their own even against a 360mm AIO and will for the most part be on par, and if the factors are good they can even cool a little bit better. The big difference between the quality air coolers and AIO is price. You can get an NH-D15 or DRP4 for like $90 compared to a 360mm for like $130+. If you're overclocking an AIO would be preferred but OP has a non K series 10900f with no iGPU, so a high quality air cooler would be good as long as the other conditions are right for it. I'm not saying that no matter what they're better but in a lot of circumstances they can bet better, it's situational. I can clarify that in my previous post, if that would appease you?

This is just a too strange thing to say If you want better temps I'd recommend going for a beefy air cooler, like the DRP4 or Noctua NH-D15." 
No doubt that those coolers are cheaper, and might work very well for OP
But its a well known fact that even good 240 AIO's beats NHD15

image.thumb.png.60c09995a0210bf4de64176d84568639.png

23 minutes ago, NorKris said:

This is just a too strange thing to say If you want better temps I'd recommend going for a beefy air cooler, like the DRP4 or Noctua NH-D15." 
No doubt that those coolers are cheaper, and might work very well for OP
But its a well known fact that even good 240 AIO's beats NHD15

image.thumb.png.60c09995a0210bf4de64176d84568639.png

I may have not typed it how I was thinking it in my head, but we're also talking for the i9 series intel processors here. It's entirely situational and depends on the processor. I shouldn't have just said it's better. I don't know what this graph you posted is testing, but the NH-D15 is known to beat 280mm AIOs, and in quite a few cases be on par to a 360mm AIO, The graph you posted appears to be testing a low TDP processor(if those are load temps).  Having personally tested it and with multiple reviews, and benchmarks out there where it is proven to be better than a 280mm AIO and on par with a 360mm AIO. I didn't mean to start an argument here, and I sure as hell don't want to continue one. I'll fix my OP so it's worded more in line with what I meant.

4 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

A good air cooler can be yes, you'll get very similar temps to a 360mm AIO but for much cheaper. It is also dependent on your ambient temps and airflow/cooling of the case itself. At least in my personal testing with the NH - D15 it was 1-2 degrees cooler in normal loads and idle and was pretty much on par maybe only 2 degrees warmer under load, which is a negligible difference. We're not talking wiping the floor with the AIO but the quality air coolers like the DRP4 and NH-D15 hold their own even against a 360mm AIO and will for the most part be on par, and if the factors are good they can even cool a little bit better. The big difference between the quality air coolers and AIO is price. You can get an NH-D15 or DRP4 for like $90 compared to a 360mm for like $130+. If you're overclocking, an AIO would be preferred but OP has a non K series 10900f with no iGPU, so a high quality air cooler would be good as long as the other conditions are right for it. I'm not saying that no matter what they're better but in a lot of circumstances they can bet better, it's situational. I can clarify that in my previous post, if that would appease you?

This is completely wrong, Sir.

I had a 10C temp drop going from a NH-D15 with 2x full speed Noctua IPPC-3000 fans, to a 360 AIO with 3x Noctua IPPC-3000 fans.

One thing you need to remember is that some radiators scale greatly with static pressure and airflow.   You may pay the price with noise, but there is a large difference in performance between rocking some Silent Wings fans on an AIO and some IPPC fans.  Some rads suffer a lot in theoretical performance from low speed fans compared to an air cooler due to differences in basic design with a pump vs heatpipes.

21 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

I had a 10C temp drop going from a NH-D15 with 2x full speed Noctua IPPC-3000 fans, to a 360 AIO with 3x Noctua IPPC-3000 fans.

One thing you need to remember is that some radiators scale greatly with static pressure and airflow.   You may pay the price with noise, but there is a large difference in performance between rocking some Silent Wings fans on an AIO and some IPPC fans.  Some rads suffer a lot in theoretical performance from low speed fans compared to an air cooler due to differences in basic design with a pump vs heatpipes.

That's why I said it is completely situational. Does no one on here actually read anymore? It depends on the cooler and again the setup it's going into. I'll say it for the second time, I'm not saying that it IS better and that you WILL get better cooling. I'm saying it's possible depending on the setup. Both processor, case/fans, and airflow have huge impacts on this. 

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

also depends on case and case fans too. and the test it self. a 30 min test vs and aio and heat sink might not be fare in till the aio reach its top temp. as water takes time to heat up.

but in gx test is all that same hardware. same room temp, same fans on every case tested.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links