Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Home Network Upgrade to support WFH / Garden Working

Howdy fellow nerds. 

Since this pandemic thing has moved me to a permanent WFH support role i have decided its time to sort out the elephant in the house. AKA The terrible Wifi range. I currently live in a small bungalow, but even then my nighthawk router is struggling to get from the living room to the garden hut the opposite side of the house (Approx 25-30 meters away).  

My Budget is £240 and frankly i am torn between solutions and i'm no network engineer, so some advice would be appreciated. 

Solution 1 (SME Setup) :

1. TP-Link POE Switch 

2. TP-Link Router

3. TP-Link EAP225-Wall x2 (One in living room where neighthawk is currently, 1 in bedroom opposite side of the house closest to the garden) 

4. Cat 6 cable x2

5. Wall socket for mounting x2

basically the same setup i installed in the office scaled back and minus the TP link controller (with only 2 ap's i don't mind individual ap setup / management ) , so i know what im getting into and how to set it up. But is this the best solution for a small home / garden? 

Solution 2: Would i be better off with only 1 tp-link wall ap where the nighthawk currently is (reaches everywhere inside) and then putting this outside ap in the attic for the garden hut? 

Alternatively am i over thinking this entire situation and should i just go with: 

Solution 3 (Basic boi Home Setup): 

1. Google mesh wifi

OR

2. Netgear Orbi mesh wifi

OR

3. Some other completely different home mesh network solution? 

Thanks for reading this far, you hero, all thoughts, questions and comments welcome 🙂

(Tl;Dr: SME setup or Basic boi mesh wifi (eg google wifi)) 

Edited by gunzidiot

-> Moved to Networking

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Networking

Thanks 🙂

If you are looking for something simple to setup and manage you really can’t go wrong with either one of those mesh solutions. 

I am partial to the Google Nest since the Orbis are more expensive here in Norway. I have installed 3 of the older versions Google WiFi (my sister, mother and father in law) without any issues. 

You could easily fit a 3-pack of the older model Google wifi or a two pack of the newer Nest model just above your budget. 

-T

16 minutes ago, Tetanus said:

If you are looking for something simple to setup and manage you really can’t go wrong with either one of those mesh solutions. 

I am partial to the Google Nest since the Orbis are more expensive here in Norway. I have installed 3 of the older versions Google WiFi (my sister, mother and father in law) without any issues. 

You could easily fit a 3-pack of the older model Google wifi or a two pack of the newer Nest model just above your budget. 

-T

Thanks for the response. I am comfortable setting up more complex solutions,i have done so before. I'm not looking for ease of use (although its always a bonus). I'm more interested in maximising my range / speed. From experience would you say the range of the mesh networks compare to the SME solutions available ? 

I would read some reviews, I don’t really have enough hands on experience with the different solutions to have an opinion. That being said, I would not install the Nest in my house since I find it lacking in customisation and some features I use.

If you are looking for something modular and with more “enterprise” options I would consider the Unifi Dream Machine. This would set you back around £290 so above your budget. Customisation is great, and you can pick AP’s to suit your needs. There is one integrated AP in it, but should you need more than one you’ll have to buy another. AP’s are around £70 for the base model so keep that in mind. 

Fair warning, Unifi gear is addictive… 😀

- T

Is running a cable to the hut out of the question?

You could put an access point there, or another switch give yourself multiple options.

5 hours ago, gunzidiot said:

Why are you limiting yourself to 100Mbps?

I don't tend to find these units as omnidirectional as AP alternatives. They're meant to fill in small WiFi deadzone gaps and also allow ethernet connectivity.

and then putting this outside ap in the attic for the garden hut? 

This is a directional antenna that is better suited for a wireless point-to-point bridge.

With all that said, TP-Link's Omada line is a good budget approach to an SDN. They're getting pretty close to features of Ubiquiti.

In order to make recommendations, we'd need to see a floor plan sketch of the space, and to know the type of materials being used in the walls and speeds are you paying for from your ISP.

15 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Why are you limiting yourself to 100Mbps?

Ooops Totally provided the wrong link for this , meant to link the newer gigabit switch. (Though atm my isp is giving me 70mbps) 

I don't tend to find these units as omnidirectional as AP alternatives. They're meant to fill in small WiFi deadzone gaps and also allow ethernet connectivity.

ok i have changed my selection to their main ap's

This is a directional antenna that is better suited for a wireless point-to-point bridge.

Ok so im guessing this ap would better suit ?

In order to make recommendations, we'd need to see a floor plan sketch of the space, and to know the type of materials being used in the walls and speeds are you paying for from your ISP.

Ok i am no graphic designer but this is the rough house layout as it currently is with the nighthawk (doors on corners/angles and i couldn't get the tool to do what i needed) , the separate dwelling is the hut. This is what i am suggesting for the placement of the 2 aps. I live in the UK so its bricks and motor for the supporting walls and then everything else is paper thin plaster board.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated 🙂