ASUS STRIX OC 1080ti crashing under load

I recently got a second hand 1080ti really cheap but it seems to have something going on with it.

The thing will boot up in windows with no issue and I tested it with MSI afterburner and Kombustor and could get it to work under load if I lowered the memory clock, but it would still always fail to run games (I tested with BO3 as its all I have installed on this PC)

I tried changing the fan speeds and replaced the thermal paste but no difference. I know 100% its the graphics card at fault as I have a second 1080 ti I usually run in the computer and it runs without issue. I'm getting the feeling it might be the memory going bad on it since I have to underclock it.

Also there is some weird audible noise coming from it when under load not sure if its coil whine. 

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ASUS STRIX 1080ti afterburner.png

81967972_ASUSSTRIX1080tiKombustor.png

Bad drivers maybe ?

Also are you sure the sound you hear is coming from the GPU and not something else in the PC like a fan ?

I tested it with the fans on max with no load and the noise isn't present and its also not present with my other card so its definitely something else on the card. Also I did try reinstalling drivers from the ASUS website and no difference.

Any other ideas?

Yeah, would also have thought drivers, but otherwise maybe the card has been mined to hell and back.

My 1080 Ti Strix has a good amount of coil whine, so that is not unusual in my opinon.

Just now, R.wilko31 said:

I tested it with the fans on max with no load and the noise isn't present and its also not present with my other card so its definitely something else on the card. Also I did try reinstalling drivers from the ASUS website and no difference.

Any other ideas?

Did you DDU the old drivers? Its important to do so and not just overwrite

Just now, For Science! said:

Did you DDU the old drivers? Its important to do so and not just overwrite

I didn't, but would that be an issue considering my other card is also a 1080ti? Also the person I got the card from said he was having this issue also.

Just now, R.wilko31 said:

I didn't, but would that be an issue considering my other card is also a 1080ti? Also the person I got the card from said he was having this issue also.

Not sure, but I would err on the safe side to be sure? If the person says he was having the issue, then only he knows how he was treating the card. Maybe the memory was at 105 degrees for the last 5 years or something....

Just now, For Science! said:

Not sure, but I would err on the safe side to be sure? If the person says he was having the issue, then only he knows how he was treating the card. Maybe the memory was at 105 degrees for the last 5 years or something....

Yeah I am getting the feeling the cards been run in a bit as the thermal paste was completely dried out and temperatures improved greatly after changing it. I've switched back to my other card at the moment but Ill try the drivers again later on when I don't need graphics lol. I did get the card real cheap with the intent of selling it on anyway so I can probably get my money back selling it for parts or something.

I guess you could always try replacing thermal paste to see if it helps... i would let a pro do that or an authorized service since they will know for sure what they are doing.

One thing... what PSU do u have ? Maybe try plugging in the GPU in another PC, just try swapping your 1080s to see if it works as should in your other PC. If it works in your 2nd PC i doubt it might be the card's fault. Perhaps something in this current build is causing it to crash.

2 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

I guess you could always try replacing thermal paste to see if it helps... i would let a pro do that or an authorized service since they will know for sure what they are doing.

Sadly I tried the thermal paste already, It did lower temperatures but the problems still present.

16 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

One thing... what PSU do u have ? Maybe try plugging in the GPU in another PC, just try swapping your 1080s to see if it works as should in your other PC. If it works in your 2nd PC i doubt it might be the card's fault. Perhaps something in this current build is causing it to crash.

I only have 1 pc and I'm switching the card out to test it. PSU is a corsair CX600M and I'm running a Ryzen 5 5600x, so It should be enough I think, at least I've never had any power problems with the other 1080ti.

4 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

I only have 1 pc and I'm switching the card out to test it. PSU is a corsair CX600M and I'm running a Ryzen 5 5600x, so It should be enough I think, at least I've never had any power problems with the other 1080ti.

This might sound a bit weird... but try taking it to a friend who lives very close to you and ask him to let you try it in his PC. If it works on his PC i don't think the card has any issues.

Nvidia does recommend a 600W PSU for the card on their website but 600W is more than enough i'd say since the card can use 250W and your CPU uses 65W so that leaves just under 300W available.

2 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

This might sound a bit weird... but try taking it to a friend who lives very close to you and ask him to let you try it in his PC. If it works on his PC i don't think the card has any issues.

Nvidia does recommend a 600W PSU for the card on their website but 600W is more than enough i'd say since the card can use 250W and your CPU uses 65W so that leaves just under 300W available.

Don't really have anyone nearby I could test with, but I have an external graphics setup for my laptop, think that would do?

1 hour ago, R.wilko31 said:

Don't really have anyone nearby I could test with, but I have an external graphics setup for my laptop, think that would do?

You mean to connect it to your laptop ?

Yeah sure if you can do that then sure go ahead and try. If the GPU runs and doesn't crash then it's probably something on your system build.

31 minutes ago, Mikey89 said:

You mean to connect it to your laptop ?

Yeah sure if you can do that then sure go ahead and try. If the GPU runs and doesn't crash then it's probably something on your system build.

Ok so I have hooked up to my laptop and it still freezes but It's not crashing. I didn't notice before because my audio was off but that games still running its just the screen freezes, also the weird noise is still present and cuts out right when the screen freezes. The weirdest part to me is the fact that everything else still works fine I can just tab over to desktop and everything else still works fine its just games that freeze

1 hour ago, R.wilko31 said:

Ok so I have hooked up to my laptop and it still freezes but It's not crashing. I didn't notice before because my audio was off but that games still running its just the screen freezes, also the weird noise is still present and cuts out right when the screen freezes. The weirdest part to me is the fact that everything else still works fine I can just tab over to desktop and everything else still works fine its just games that freeze

So the game was still running no issues and you had sound ?

Please do the following :

1) Enable FPS counter in steam, origin whatever platform you are using

2) Play said game and pay very careful attention to the FPS counter even WITHOUT video

If the FPS counter stays like at 100FPS or more than most definetly the card doesn't have any issues.

I'm 90% sure this is a driver issue OR it might be something with the cable coming from your monitor to the GPU.

Check what port the monitor is plugged in and what cable it is using. If you have another cable around, swap it and see if you have image.

Uh… so the sound… does it sound kinda "electrical" or buzzing?

And undervolting the card fixes it (completely)?  

1 hour ago, Mikey89 said:

I'm 90% sure this is a driver issue OR it might be something with the cable coming from your monitor to the GPU.

That would be good guesses, but the previous owner had the same issue already. Only thing I'd definitely try is DDU, shouldnt be necessary, but sometimes drivers get just messed up (although it seems unlikely…)

Recently I swapped out my 3070 with my 1060, ran like a dream no issues, and back to my 3070 without reinstalling drivers, no issues… the only time this should be done routinely is before swapping from AMD to nVidia and vice versa. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Uh… so the sound… does it sound kinda "electrical" or buzzing?

And undervolting the card fixes it (completely)?  

Yeah like a buzzing sound but its probably just coil whine right? Actually haven't tried undervolting yet so Ill give that a go

3 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

Yeah like a buzzing sound but its probably just coil whine right?

hmm, yeah, thats why im asking, it might be annoying but shouldnt cause these issues …

3 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

Actually haven't tried undervolting yet so Ill give that a go

its worth trying - but i primarily wanted to know if whatever you did fixed it or a least improved it (memory underclock)  

Because im noticing the card doesnt draw a lot of voltage, that seems very low (hence I thought you already undervolted it)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

hmm, yeah, thats why im asking, it might be annoying but shouldnt cause these issues …

its worth trying - but i primarily wanted to know if whatever you did fixed it or a least improved it (memory underclock)  

Because im noticing the card doesnt draw a lot of voltage, that seems very low (hence I thought you already undervolted it)

No I only messed with the Memory clock, core clock and fan curves. I'm relatively new to messing with graphics cards so afterburner still scares me a bit lol

Lowering the memory clock did make it run in kombustor when it would normally crash which is why I assumed the memory might be going bad. I did forget to mention there was still the odd artefacting in the stress test even with the lower clock but it did continue to run and not crash

1 hour ago, Mikey89 said:

So the game was still running no issues and you had sound ?

Please do the following :

1) Enable FPS counter in steam, origin whatever platform you are using

2) Play said game and pay very careful attention to the FPS counter even WITHOUT video

If the FPS counter stays like at 100FPS or more than most definetly the card doesn't have any issues.

Check what port the monitor is plugged in and what cable it is using. If you have another cable around, swap it and see if you have image.

slight problem to that plan, when it crashes the fps counter for steam disappears. I can monitor the gpu usage on the nvidia pop up you get using alt+R but the FPS just says N/A but around 20% usage if that helps lol 

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

You know you might be on to something with with the voltage because currently it uses a whole 0mv..... I think there a problem with the card

I think theres a problem.PNG

7 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

No I only messed with the Memory clock, core clock and fan curves. I'm relatively new to messing with graphics cards so afterburner still scares me a bit lol

Lowering the memory clock did make it run in kombustor when it would normally crash which is why I assumed the memory might be going bad. I did forget to mention there was still the odd artefacting in the stress test even with the lower clock but it did continue to run and not crash

Ok, i see. In this case i wouldnt actually recommend undervolting as its not like super easy and can make the card actually unstable, seems kinda counter productive lol… 

Also voltage already seems quite low - for whatever reason - 

So what you can do, use that setting (lower memory clocks) + set power  limit to 90%, or 80% …

If theres still artefacts, lower memory clock even more, at some point it should stop artefacting… thats your goal for now…  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, R.wilko31 said:

You know you might be on to something with with the voltage because currently it uses a whole 0mv..... I think there a problem with the card

I think theres a problem.PNG

I am, but thats not your main issue I think, and the 0mv is usually a bug in afterburner … it shouldnt concern u too much for now… try what I said above.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

24 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I am, but thats not your main issue I think, and the 0mv is usually a bug in afterburner … it shouldnt concern u too much for now… try what I said above.

I tried messing with the power and memory clocks and got the thing to not artefact in kombustor at around -100MHz and 90% power, but it would still crash in games. Then I thought why not just go for it and lowered it to 80% power at -340 MHz on the memory clock... and it ran bo3 with no issues until I tabbed out to check afterburner and it froze. Also when I tried it at -100MHz at 90% I got this error from BO3 not sure If it mean anything to anyone but figured it might help

errorBO3.PNG