Can I NVLink these GPUs?

da na
Go to solution Solved by igormp,
4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Can I NVLink an RTX 8000 and RTX 5000

No

or do they have to be the same model of GPU, not just from the same series?

Yes

And would I get any meaningful CAD performance out of adding the RTX 5000, or would that not do much?

What CAD software are you using? It probably won't help at all, but I'd like to be sure.

5 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I'd be doing mainly CPU rendering, but GPU performance would also be important for Unity (which I believe takes proper advantage of SLI, NVlink, and Xfire).

Unity doesn't fare that well with multi-GPU, it's pretty much the same thing with SLI on games.

Can I NVLink an RTX 8000 and RTX 5000, or do they have to be the same model of GPU, not just from the same series? And would I get any meaningful CAD performance out of adding the RTX 5000, or would that not do much? I'd be doing mainly CPU rendering, but GPU performance would also be important for Unity (which I believe takes proper advantage of SLI, NVlink, and Xfire).

Any help would be appreciated!

Can I NVLink an RTX 8000 and RTX 5000

No

or do they have to be the same model of GPU, not just from the same series?

Yes

And would I get any meaningful CAD performance out of adding the RTX 5000, or would that not do much?

What CAD software are you using? It probably won't help at all, but I'd like to be sure.

5 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I'd be doing mainly CPU rendering, but GPU performance would also be important for Unity (which I believe takes proper advantage of SLI, NVlink, and Xfire).

Unity doesn't fare that well with multi-GPU, it's pretty much the same thing with SLI on games.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

8 minutes ago, igormp said:

No

Yes

I'm using Blender and Cinema 4D.

I've heard that multi GPU setups can be beneficial for the Unity Editor but guess that's wrong...

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

I'm using Blender and Cinema 4D.

I've heard that multi GPU setups can be beneficial for the Unity Editor but guess that's wrong...

I'm not sure about Cinema 4D, but blender with Optix could make use of 2 different RTX GPUs without any problems, you won't even need a nvlink bridge in this case.

About unity, I could be wrong as well, but so far I haven't seen anything indicating it's better to have multiple GPUs.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

9 minutes ago, igormp said:

I'm not sure about Cinema 4D, but blender with Optix could make use of 2 different RTX GPUs without any problems, you won't even need a nvlink bridge in this case.

About unity, I could be wrong as well, but so far I haven't seen anything indicating it's better to have multiple GPUs.

I've seen that Unity recognizes multi GPU setups as a single GPU... may be wrong though.

26 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I've seen that Unity recognizes multi GPU setups as a single GPU... may be wrong though.

You probably saw this article, right? Keep in mind that this is really superficial and doesn't say anything about benefits.

Going through the forums, that's the most useful thing I've seen that you could do with 2 GPUs, but I'm not sure it this applies to your use case.

Lenovo N23 Yoga