Firefox users down 50 million since 2018

WolframaticAlpha
1 minute ago, Quinnell said:

relatively unobtrusive ads

You mean those derpy llamas(alpacas/whatever it is)? I think they're quite funny. 

Spoiler

Upland Ads set a new trend for creative ad!: brave_browser

On 8/9/2021 at 5:19 PM, xAcid9 said:

I tried to daily drive Vivaldi when It still new, doesn't feels that good. Maybe I'll give it another try. 

Vivaldi has had a bunch of new versions, worth a try again. I use it, but don't daily drive it. Thus, I'm not quite sure the limitations with recent versions. It has been very stable for me, so there's that.

Edited by LogicalDrm

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Vivaldi has had a bunch of new versions, worth a try again. I use it, but don't daily drive it.

I tried using it on my laptop, but somehow it STILL doesn't have touchpad gestures for back and forward. i thought it was a standard feature in chromium, so no idea why they removed it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 hours ago, BiggieBagelz said:

Brave is honestly way better than Firefox. Mozilla lost the plot and doesn't care about privacy the way they used to. I switched over to using Brave almost full time.

IMO, Brave is cryptocrap. I have used it. They are using marketing and an adblock to lure people in.

13 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

IMO, Brave is cryptocrap. I have used it. They are using marketing and an adblock to lure people in.

yeah the marketing threw me off, but some of the systems they want to use sounds like it could be a fun idea and be explored more.

23 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

yeah the marketing threw me off, but some of the systems they want to use sounds like it could be a fun idea and be explored more.

It's basically a "circle of trust" Ad System. That's the real problem with most website ads. They don't respect rules, so they're highly annoying. Brave ends up with an interior Ad Market that they can enforce rules upon, while giving users some part of the cut via the own coin. 

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Vivaldi has had a bunch of new versions, worth a try again. I use it, but don't daily drive it. Thus, I'm not quite sure the limitations with recent versions. It has been very stable for me, so there's that.

I installed it last night, feels very similar to Opera now. Will give a week or 2 and if it stable enough I might switch. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I have used Vivaldi for some years and love it. Use the tsb stacking quite a bit among other things.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

So? I don't understand people who endlessly bitch over Brave's monetization model. It's not like they force you to use it. You can use browser as is if you don't care about that part. You can even disable toolbar buttons for the rewards thing.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:39 AM, RejZoR said:

How so? I'm using mouse gestures forever and it doesn't seem any different than before. I do only use basic ones for back/forw and to open new tabs.

You cant use them on new tabs and sites have to be at least partly loaded for them to work are my biggest problems. They are better than nothing but far cry from native implementation that Vivaldi has or what they were with old addons.

21 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Well, Firefox 91 has just been released... I've also updated Firefox Tweaker to version 3.2.5 to support some of its new goodies like HTTPS First Mode.

Firefox 91:

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/91.0/

Ah, it's finally here. The dreaded update that removes the ability to disable Proton and enable compact mode in about:config. As soon as I see that update notification I'm uninstalling lol

13 minutes ago, SeriousDad69 said:

Ah, it's finally here. The dreaded update that removes the ability to disable Proton and enable compact mode in about:config. As soon as I see that update notification I'm uninstalling lol

You can still enable Compact mode using my Firefox Tweaker. Proton Interface is indeed locked out now, although tab bar did change color when I disabled it, but visual design was the same.

Updated Firefox Tweaker to v3.2.6 addressing this issue.

9 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I installed it last night, feels very similar to Opera now. Will give a week or 2 and if it stable enough I might switch. 

Vivaldi is made by former Opera developers. Only issue I have with it is that they have no iOS version at all meaning I can't sync bookmarks, which means I can't use it at all. If you're on Android, they have Android version. If I'll ever have to dump Firefox, hopefully Vivaldi will have a working iOS version with sync by then. Or I'll be on Android, who knows...

*** Thread cleaned ***

For politics, political baits and other posts which were more about company policy than product/technology they engage into. This is tech forum, and we have forum-wide ban on politcs. If you want to talk about company policies, please find another platform.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Reading those posts is kinda like growing up idolizing a sports figure as a kid and looking at them now. Except the athlete is a web browser lol

On 8/9/2021 at 12:28 PM, RejZoR said:

How is Brave better than Firefox? Their Sync is unreliable joke after months if not years now, they stubbornly refuse to add simple requests like option to disable closing of entire god damn browser when you close the last tab. One of dumbest things adopted by everyone, only resisted by Opera and optional in Vivaldi and Firefox (but enabled by default). Or the stupid eye stabbing bright purple gradient color of starting page if you decide not to see random photos every time. Their adblocker, while nice to be built-in, it's incredibly unreliable, especially on Youtube. And all Chrome based browsers feel like absolute trash with mouse gestures. It's like they are unresponsive and random where in Firefox, despite new limitations still feel the same as before. And Chrome based browsers aren't even fast on real webpages. Despite having several extensions and super extensive adblocker and it's still super quick. I keep trying Edge, Brave, Opera, Vicaldi and even Chrome and they just aren't as fast as people praise them to be.

Can't speak for current FF since it's been a few years since I've last used it. But last I did, it didn't feel like the browser I fell in love with during the IE 6 era. It felt more like a bad Chrome knock off. 

Sync works fine between mobile and desktop Brave for me. Maybe I'm weird, but I can't think of a practical use to have a browser up without at least one tab open for that to really be an issue..

In fact, I'm not fond of the default Brave page either so I don't use it. Thanks to Brave being Chromium based, my home page is Speed Dial 2 pro. Opera made me fall in love with speed dials.

Maybe I'll try current FF to see how things feel now, but I'm liking Brave. 

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

In fact, I'm not fond of the default Brave page either so I don't use it. Thanks to Brave being Chromium based, my home page is Speed Dial 2 pro. Opera made me fall in love with speed dials.

You could also just point your homepage to a local HTML file on your computer that you can change to look and work however you want.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You could also just point your homepage to a local HTML file on your computer that you can change to look and work however you want.

Point was mostly if someone doesn't like the Brave home page, it can always be changed to something else. 😛

Just a rant

there has been some talk about "appify" the web. Not sure if that is what some of microsoft wanted with tabs or whatever.

Wonder what more can be done, and hopefully not security risk added to this. I guess having more apps like on your phone just without the need for a app store. And kind what you can do on your phone browsers now? FF and others using this more.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Or you know, just have a simple option to disable that gradient vomit and only have a blank white page? Or page of any color that isn't this weird purple gradient that makes your eyes bleed? They never address stuff like this for some dumb reason and this is why I'm not using Brave. It's full of such shit.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Or you know, just have a simple option to disable that gradient vomit and only have a blank white page? Or page of any color that isn't this weird purple gradient that makes your eyes bleed? They never address stuff like this for some dumb reason and this is why I'm not using Brave. It's full of such shit.

If you want a blank page as your new tab then you can do that. You do need an addon though. Just search for "chrome about:blank new tab extension" and it should be one of the first results. 

But I got a feeling you are more interested in complaining than to actually find solutions and switch browser. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

If you want a blank page as your new tab then you can do that. You do need an addon though. Just search for "chrome about:blank new tab extension" and it should be one of the first results. 

But I got a feeling you are more interested in complaining than to actually find solutions and switch browser. 

And this is why I don't like Chrome browsers at all with exception of Vivaldi where they include tweaks and settings for bunch of stuff. With Chrome or Brave, don't like something, install an addon. And every addon eats memory like there is no tomorrow. In the end the browser that's slim out of the box becomes fat sloth with 35 addons/extensions for every stupid tiny thing you wanted to change because it's actually so inflexible (stuffing bunch of half baked questionable addons to solve trivial stuff that should be in the settings is NOT flexible design). This especially annoys me in Brave where you save extensions because of included adblocker and anti-tracker, but then you need 10 more for each stupid thing and you end up making it worse in the end. In Firefox I have 6 extensions total because rest of stuff is modified in about:config. To get same functionality I need like 30 extensions in Chrome based browsers I shit you not.

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And this is why I don't like Chrome browsers at all with exception of Vivaldi where they include tweaks and settings for bunch of stuff. With Chrome or Brave, don't like something, install an addon. And every addon eats memory like there is no tomorrow. In the end the browser that's slim out of the box becomes fat sloth with 35 addons/extensions for every stupid tiny thing you wanted to change because it's actually so inflexible (stuffing bunch of half baked questionable addons to solve trivial stuff that should be in the settings is NOT flexible design).

Not all addons have the same performance impact...

An addon that changes the new page tab to about:blank will most likely use next to no resources at all. The addon itself is literally less than 5KB in size.

Also, I went from Firefox to ChrEdge and I use 4 addons. I can't imagine why anyone would need 35 addons. Can you give some examples of things you want to do with your browser that doesn't work without addons? Other than changing chrome://newtab obviously.