[Choosing a convertiable for Architectural Work] Dell Inspiron 7415 Vs Inspiron 5406

Hello everyone,

I am switching from an Asus G551VW (heavy device) to a 2-in-1 for better mobility. Dell Inspiron 14" devices are quite good, but I am reluctant between the Dell Inspiron 7415 Vs Inspiron 5406. Both present comparable specs on paper, whereas the Inspiron 7415 is a newer device with a little bit better size and DDR4 RAM (Vs. LPDDR4), and potentially brighter screen, however, I have to get it shipped from the USA to my region (little concern about the warranty here).

Inspiron 5406 features a dedicated graphics processor, which may allow it to run rendering engines such as EnScape and Lumion, which do not run on AMD integrated graphics (the biggest hurdle against Inspiron 7415).

The question is here is :

1- other than what written in the specs, what does the Inspiron 7000 series have to offer more than the 5000 series (especially if the specs are close or the same in some cases) ??

2- Is there a different in performance, especially thermal throttling, and manufacturing quality as in the case of Inspiron Vs XPS ?! Or does it completely boil down to specs ?!

1- Specs of Dell Inspiron 5406

2- Specs of Dell Inspiron 7415

Programs to be used:
    - AutoCAD
    - Revit
    - SketchUp
    - EnScape
    - 3Ds MAX
    - Adobe InDesign
    - Adobe Photoshop
    - Adobe Illustrator

- Adobe Acrobat
    - Microsoft Office
    - Web Browsers

I'm no expert on XPS vs Inspiron, though I can say from experience from currently owning an XPS 17 9700 that cooling can - at times - be an issue, at least with the XPS devices - especially ones that are high spec (like mine) - though I imagine the Inspiron convertible laptops won't as as bad of issues considering most of them don't offer a GPU or at the very most, a very low end one. For example, the Inspiron 17 2-in-1 can be equipped with the NVIDIA GeForce MX350, a 2GB (video memory) GPU. I'd imagine it'll be able to handle your needs, though I imagine it'll definitely be slower than lots of conventional laptops that're on the market. That being said, if you can live with a conventional laptop (i.e., no "foldability), and you still want good power, the XPS lineup can be had with a touch screen, 4K display, and the 17 9710 (i.e., the 2021 model) can be equipped with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, a 6 GB GPU which compared to my 6 GB 2060 Max-Q in my XPS 17, performs noticeably better - to the point where I'm starting to get a little salty that I didn't wait to get the 9710 over the 9700, lol. Then again, I'd imagine an XPS 9710 with the 3060 would experience worse thermal issues than mine due to the XPS devices being very thin, so be weary of that.

For some context on my device, I have the XPS 17 9700, equipped with an i9-10885H, 32 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q, and the base 1920*1200p non-touch display. I got this for around $2,100 after discounts, which I think is pretty reasonable considering the hardware being in such a thin and professional looking package. I got this because I'm a new college student in Mechanical Engineering, and I knew I needed a computer with a good GPU and CPU to handle SolidWorks and other applications I'll run into. Plus, with the RTX 2060 Max-Q, I can do some decent gaming whenever I get free time (which probably won't be much since I'm an engineering student, lol).

Honestly, I'd say if you can live without a touchscreen, I believe you'd be better off with a more conventional-style so you can perform your tasks more effectively. That being said, I recommend broadening your considerations to brands besides Dell so you can really find the laptop that's perfect for you.

Hope this helps!