Port Forwarding on Xfinity Router

TinsellyCone241

So I know how port forwarding works, but I use an Xfinity router (With my setup it's cheaper to rent Xfinity's router than to use my own). The Xfinity router has a port forwarding option in the settings on 10.0.0.1. This however just links to the XFi website where you can add a port forward there. The issue is, their website has no option to set the start port and end port. I am adding NextCloud to my Unraid NAS which uses ports 80 and 443 for its web UI, but these ports are in use by Unraid, so I want to map external traffic coming into port 80 or 443 to ports 180 and 1443 (just for the NAS) and set NextCloud to use those ports so that I can use my domain and access NextCloud from outside of my LAN. Is there another way to do this without using the port forwarding option? I contacted Xfinity support which (as usual) was useless and just told me what I already knew.

edit: Removed as I appear to be incorrect in my statement. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you do not want to forward any port 80 or 443 traffic to a specific IP. This is your source of all website data.. Port 80 translates HTTP data and 443 HTTPS. IF you forward this to your Unraid, this will effectively kill all your internet connections for everything else. 

I am trying to setup a reverse proxy in order to use NextCloud from outside of the LAN, so I just want to redirect traffic coming to my NAS' IP to a different port. I am following this video to try and figure out what I need to do. Have a look at what he says at 10:05. That's where I am.

Edited by TinsellyCone241

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you do not want to forward any port 80 or 443 traffic to a specific IP. This is your source of all website data.. Port 80 translates HTTP data and 443 HTTPS. IF you forward this to your Unraid, this will effectively kill all your internet connections for everything else. 

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about here, this is incorrect. The port forwarding would affect incoming connections, not outgoing. You can still browse the web or whatever; it's just incoming connections to 80 or 443 on that IP would be routed to a specific device. You could do this, for example, to self host your own website.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

8 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about here, this is incorrect. The port forwarding would affect incoming connections, not outgoing. You can still browse the web or whatever; it's just incoming connections to 80 or 443 on that IP would be routed to a specific device. You could do this, for example, to self host your own website.

Yes, I do understand that. I am trying to host a website (The NextCloud webUI), but Unraid uses the http and https ports for its own stuff, so I am wanting to take any traffic coming from the general internet to my NAS and move it to a different port so that Unraid doesn't intercept it and it can instead be used by NextCloud. This is kind of complicated and might mess up my other things, so maybe I could try to redirect traffic coming to nextcloud to a different IP by redirecting that traffic to my network card rather than my motherboard's build in ethernet port and then those ports would be open and I wouldn't have to do any of this right?

55 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Assuming I'm understanding correctly, not true. I have port 80 & 443 forwarded to a webserver running on my Synology NAS without an issue. All our devices have internet access and I can access the webserver remotely either through a reverse proxy OR if I'm feeling dangerous, a Dynamic DNS mapped subdomain.

That being said, @TinsellyCone241 we also have the Comcast-provided XB6 modem here with the extremely limited cloud-based control panel. Ended up bridging it days after we got it so my AdvancedTomato-based Netgear router could handle all our routing needs, at least until I pony up cash for Ubiquiti stuff. If xFinity's firmware is too limiting, you might end up having to do the same thing.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Assuming I'm understanding correctly, not true. I have port 80 & 443 forwarded to a webserver running on my Synology NAS without an issue. All our devices have internet access and I can access the webserver remotely either through a reverse proxy OR if I'm feeling dangerous, a Dynamic DNS mapped subdomain.

That being said, @TinsellyCone241 we also have the Comcast-provided XB6 modem here with the extremely limited cloud-based control panel. Ended up bridging it days after we got it so my AdvancedTomato-based Netgear router could handle all our routing needs, at least until I pony up cash for Ubiquiti stuff. If xFinity's firmware is too limiting, you might end up having to do the same thing.

Ok, that is what I thought, thank you! Looks like I will be replacing my router then. I think I could probably get it to work somehow by using the network card and running all data for the webserver through there, but I don't really know how to do any of that and I probably should replace the router anyways. I'll just have to do some more research.

20 hours ago, TinsellyCone241 said:

probably should replace the router anyways.

Keep in mind its a gateway and not a router. A gateway has a modem and router in one box. So if you end up adding a new router you will need to throw the Comcast gateway in to bridged mode or replace the modem part as well. 

21 hours ago, TinsellyCone241 said:

With my setup it's cheaper to rent Xfinity's router than to use my own

Im guessing you pay for unlimited data. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.