1060 dead?

Mobilizedeagle

I wanted to come on here as a 2nd to last resort (last resort is throwing it in the oven). I have a 1060 that just died yesterday no temp spikes no fan spikes nothing that cards fan will turn on for a few seconds while booting (and the leds) and sometimes will display a grey screen for a few seconds as well. I'm just not sure I don't want to give up yet, windows wont detect it in device manager neither will Linux and the card will start giving just a little bit of heat after its booted but the fan wont be running. I check all connections for burnt ends to make sure that wasn't it either, anything else I can check for?

This is my first time posting on this forum so let me know if I posted this in the wrong section.

8 minutes ago, Mobilizedeagle said:

This is my first time posting on this forum so let me know if I posted this in the wrong section.

try it in a different pci slot if you have more than one on the mobo. testing it in another pc would be the easiest way to confirm if it's dead. you can throw it in the oven if you want, but even if it somehow fixed it, rather than destroy it further, the results will be extremely temporary. i very much don't recommend as the card still has value as-is, and nothing good will come from trying the oven method.

welcome to the forums.

37 minutes ago, Mobilizedeagle said:

I wanted to come on here as a 2nd to last resort (last resort is throwing it in the oven). I have a 1060 that just died yesterday no temp spikes no fan spikes nothing that cards fan will turn on for a few seconds while booting (and the leds) and sometimes will display a grey screen for a few seconds as well. I'm just not sure I don't want to give up yet, windows wont detect it in device manager neither will Linux and the card will start giving just a little bit of heat after its booted but the fan wont be running. I check all connections for burnt ends to make sure that wasn't it either, anything else I can check for?

I don’t know if the thing is old enough for blown capacitors or not, but if there’s any stuff on the capacitors or the heads are anything but dead flat one of them might have gone or be going.  This is a point I might take something to a shop, or sell on eBay as non-working. There are people who buy dead stuff, fix or replace the bits on it that are busted and resell it as “refurbished”.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.