Planning for new power supply

CostcoHotDogs

I just have a quick question about a power supply I'm looking at getting as I begin to upgrade my rig. I was looking at getting a Seasonic Focus 80+ plat 850w unit as the last piece before I begin upgrading my cpu and graphics card. my system right now only pulls about 300w and I was wondering if I go ahead and put the new 850w unit in will it damage my system? I know that people say there is no such thing as too much wattage but with efficiency ratings will 80+ plat be too much?

10 minutes ago, CostcoHotDogs said:

I just have a quick question about a power supply I'm looking at getting as I begin to upgrade my rig. I was looking at getting a Seasonic Focus 80+ plat 850w unit as the last piece before I begin upgrading my cpu and graphics card. my system right now only pulls about 300w and I was wondering if I go ahead and put the new 850w unit in will it damage my system? I know that people say there is no such thing as too much wattage but with efficiency ratings will 80+ plat be too much?

No, a PSU can't be too efficient or have too much power. Get it without worry. It will be fine.

Just buy a Seasonic Prime PX 1300. Done.

Isn't windows three-sixty-five just a more recent version of windows three-eleven?

1 hour ago, CostcoHotDogs said:

I'd suggest that you go with how much ur system needs, get a 650 or 750 watt psu.

56 minutes ago, CostcoHotDogs said:

my system right now only pulls about 300w and I was wondering if I go ahead and put the new 850w unit in will it damage my system?

Power is drawn, not pushed.
If your system needs 300w, a true 850w power supply will deliver 300w.
For a better understanding of what efficiency does, you can read this https://linustechtips.com/topic/423141-80-plus-efficiency-and-what-it-really-means/

1 hour ago, CostcoHotDogs said:

Seasonic Focus 80+ plat 850w unit

Why do you specifically want this unit? There probably are better options out there.
Do you really need 850w?

If you tell us more about your future rig and where you are buying from, we can help you choose the best option available.

11 hours ago, Caroline said:

it won't set your PC on fire.

Famous last words.

On a more serious note, two important things:

1. Not all power supplies are the same. The risk of them catching fire is non-negligible, but totally unrelated1 to the amount of current you are drawing. It is related to your power supply's quality. With a dangerous power supply, any amount of current draw is dangerous. Just buy a PSU from a reputable brand.
  2. Over-sizing your power supply will never be a problem. If you imagine current as a movement of electrons in a tube, you can imagine that the only realistic problem is if the tube is too small. Then it can break2. If the tube is "too big", that is never going to be a problem; and unless you max out your hardware usage at all times, it will be "too small" the vast majority of the time. It can, actually, lead to better efficiency3 and power quality4.

Notes:

1. For a given current, set under a given rating (like "lower than 400W" - in reality it is a bit more complex than that, it can depend on what voltage you are drawing current from), it depends on the PSU quality. For a given PSU, there is always an upper limit to what current you can draw before it Halts and Catches Fire.
  2. It will actually melt.
  3. The best efficiency is usually around 50% capacity.
  4. More precise, more stable power.

Isn't windows three-sixty-five just a more recent version of windows three-eleven?

10 hours ago, 7heo said:

For a given PSU, there is always an upper limit to what current you can draw before it Halts and Catches Fire.

...No there's not. Not unless the PSU is total garbage. Good PSUs always trigger protections before they catch fire like that

10 hours ago, 7heo said:

The best efficiency is usually around 50% capacity.

Not that efficiency matters, hey. The 50% capacity is best to buy thing has become a myth.

10 hours ago, 7heo said:

More precise, more stable power.

This depends significantly on the unit. You can have units that have better performance at lower current draw.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 hours ago, Elisis said:

Good PSUs

And as everyone knows, any PSU is a good PSU, right? Come on now. It's not like alibaba existed. Right? You just posted to say "no" and came up with reasons later.

10 minutes ago, 7heo said:

And as everyone knows, any PSU is a good PSU, right? Come on now. It's not like alibaba existed. Right? You just posted to say "no" and came up with reasons later.

You very clearly were speaking generally and weren't talking about purely bad PSUs...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

On 8/6/2021 at 3:07 AM, Elisis said:

about purely bad PSUs

You mean like Gigabyte PSUs? I wish GN's video was published two days earlier, because that video perfectly corroborates what I said.

Either way, "bad PSUs" don't have to come from alibaba. I said alibaba because the only study I could find about PSUs catching fire after searching a few minutes was in French, and I had to answer with something in English. And I didn't want to waste hours scouring the web for information just to be met with biased judgement from someone who would just skim the very first lines of my post for anything to criticize (without even taking the time to understand the actual point).

But now, I have a very convenient, and graphical source I can refer to. "Bad PSUs" come from newegg too. As Steve clearly demonstrated.

Now, what bugs me the most is your delusional conception that, somehow, power supplies from "reputed vendors" (like, again, Gigabyte PSUs sold off of Newegg, failing catastrophically, to the point of making sparks, that could potentially cause an actual fire) simply cannot fail, no matter what the actual quality of the PSU is.

PSUs aren't made by the brand that sells them. Period. Well, with the sole exceptions of Seasonic (hence my - semi serious: buy Seasonic, but not necessarily a 400 bucks product - recommendation) and FSP (I would not recommend, but to each their own).

Corsair (for the record, I don't believe Corsair ever produced a single PSU) PSUs featured seasonic rebranded PSUs. That's why Corsairs PSUs are "good". Because they vetted and selected "good" partners, worth their salt.

So yeah, maybe people posting on the forum aren't just posting for attention, and maybe they know a thing or two about what they're saying. But from my recent experiences here, that last part goes "wooooosh" for most of the people I had the immense pleasure to interact with.

42 minutes ago, 7heo said:

PSUs aren't made by the brand that sells them. Period. Well, with the sole exceptions of Seasonic (hence my - semi serious: buy Seasonic, but not necessarily a 400 bucks product - recommendation) and FSP (I would not recommend, but to each their own).

It is meaningless to judge a product only by OEM. They've all somtimes made garbage, and they can make good units.

Corsair (for the record, I don't believe Corsair ever produced a single PSU) PSUs featured seasonic rebranded PSUs. That's why Corsairs PSUs are "good".

What is this sound? Until recently, the only Corsair Seasonic was the AX(Prime Titanium), which was discontinued because it was worse than the HX (CWT) and had issues with the Ampere GPU.

Because they vetted and selected "good" partners, worth their salt.

Only some. Some companies where engineering doesn't exist actually leave everything to the OEM, but Corsair, XPG, CoolerMaster, Bequiet etc. actually have the right engineers for the PSU and are involved in the design.

The reason the Gigabyte P-GM exploded is that Gigabyte left the OEM to an inexperienced MEIC and MEIC messed up the design. Their own problems.

Edited by IIIIIIIIII

11 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Until recently, the only Corsair Seasonic was the AX(Prime Titanium)

Source. Prove to me that other units didn't exist. Exhaustive product listing and assorted OEM list. Thanks. I'm not gonna do it for you, and I know it's wrong.

11 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

involved in the design

They "designed" some. Didn't make them. That's two different things. Implementation matters.

19 minutes ago, 7heo said:

Source. Prove to me that other units didn't exist. Exhaustive product listing and assorted OEM list. Thanks. I'm not gonna do it for you, and I know it's wrong.

30 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Until recently, the only Corsair Seasonic was the AX(Prime Titanium)

Until recently -> Recently. I meant relatively recent, not including the old past. English is not my fisrt language. Sorry.

19 minutes ago, 7heo said:

They "designed" some. Didn't make them. That's two different things. Implementation matters.

Why? What does it matter if they use an OEM with good equipment/QC?

Edited by IIIIIIIIII

4 hours ago, 7heo said:

Check this link for a description of yourself 🙂

The reports here have the OEMs listed. You'll find all of their current PSUs, and some of their older ones, with the exception of the lower wattage CV models.

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database&params=1,0,28

:)

5 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Until recently -> Recently. I meant relatively recent

"Until recently" means "For any point in the past that isn't too recent". So the opposite of what you meant, I think.

5 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Why do you think LTT spends so much time and effort getting samples for their merch if it's all the same?

24 minutes ago, 7heo said:

Why do you think LTT spends so much time and effort getting samples for their merch if it's all the same?

I don't know what that has to do with what I said and what you're trying to say. Context?

6 hours ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Exactly. Good equipment/qc doesn't ensure a good product coming out of the line... OEMs people love to fanboy most assuredly can make utter trash given a low enough price.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

6 hours ago, 7heo said:

Oh, so Andyson, High Power, Enermax for a while, Cougar, Huntkey, Segotep don't exist?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler