First build, want to future proof it for future GPU upgrades, appreciate any help

Budget (including currency): 900-1000

Country: Ireland, so expect everything to cost more as shipping to here

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 90% gaming, in particular total war games and bannerlord

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Peripherals I already have so no need to worry there. I'm upgrading form msi ge 62 apache pro (GTX 960M). I'm getting 1050 Ti for free basically compared to current prices so want to build a PC now that is stronger in all other slots so in a few years I can just slot out the 1050 Ti for a 3080 or similar and not need any new parts. Here's my list so far

RAM: 2x8GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 288 pin memory PC25600 RAM €76

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K LGA 1200  €322

CPU Cooler: ID Cooling SE-234 (4 heatpipes) €39

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS Motherboard ATX €152

HDD: 2TB SATA €32

SSD: 240GB Kingston SSDNow A400 SATA 3, €32

GPU: GTX 1050 Ti €100

Case: Corsair iCUE 220T €82

Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold, 850W 80+gold rating €135 (is this overkill even with a 3080 in there or would it be needed then)

Total: €970

Id like to be able to play Total war warhammer 2&3 at 60 FPS consistently in battles, same for big bannerlord field/siege battles even if it means taking a bit of a graphics hit. 1080p gaming at first, but would like to know if this build can handle 1440/4k once GPU swaps for a 3080 or similar. Appreciate any and all help with critique of parts picked so far too:)

Definitely looks like a big machine waiting on a gpu. Cooler might be a hair light except it’s an f chip not an fk chip which means cooling should be fine, though I don’t know much about that cooler specifically. A 1050ti will run the games you mention and the card will push to 4k for 2d stuff.  For 3d though it’s 1080p max.  Banner lord in particular doesn’t need much.   I don’t really see anything wrong with it, though I know nothing about the PSU.  An 850w PSU will take a 3070 though and the rest of it will too. So that’s covered. Might be worth checking if that particular b560 has issues.  I understand some b560 motherboards have speed issues, though there can be ways to fix that I am told.   I don’t see any major mistakes myself.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Definitely looks like a big machine waiting on a gpu. Cooler might be a hair light except it’s an f chip not an fk chip which means cooling should be fine, though I don’t know much about that cooler specifically. A 1050ti will run the games you mention and the card will push to 4k for 2d stuff.  For 3d though it’s 1080p max.  Banner lord in particular doesn’t need much.   I don’t really see anything wrong with it, though I know nothing about the PSU.  An 850w PSU will take a 3070 though and the rest of it will too. So that’s covered. Might be worth checking if that particular b560 has issues.  I understand some b560 motherboards have speed issues, though there can be ways to fix that I am told.   I don’t see any major mistakes myself.

Thanks for replying with the info, just have some folIow up Qs:). I could upgrade to a Z490 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Motherboard-LGA1200-DisplayPort-Pre-installed/dp/B0886QSX7N/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=z490&qid=1628152697&s=electronics&sr=1-1&th=1) and an i7-10700k for just €30, do you think that's worth it for overclocking or is it not worth it? As I understand Z490 is the gen before B560 but Idk how much that matters. If I did do that upgrade, are there any specific coolers you would recommend in similar price range that would be able to handle overclocking?

3 minutes ago, Galbo said:

Thanks for replying with the info, just have some folIow up Qs:). I could upgrade to a Z490 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Motherboard-LGA1200-DisplayPort-Pre-installed/dp/B0886QSX7N/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=z490&qid=1628152697&s=electronics&sr=1-1&th=1) and an i7-10700k for just €30, do you think that's worth it for overclocking or is it not worth it? As I understand Z490 is the gen before B560 but Idk how much that matters. If I did do that upgrade, are there any specific coolers you would recommend in similar price range that would be able to handle overclocking?

Yes def worth it even if you arent ocing

No bullshit tdp limits

Slight bclk ocing

Better ram ocing

Better vrms

Etc

And the price diff between a decent b560 and entry level z4/590 isnt that much so i tend to just outright ignore b560 unless if its a sub 100$ board since the entry level z series boards are much better than a decent mid range b560 board

Though avoid the crappier ultra cheap z series boards like those ultra cheap asrock phantom gaming boards, if im not mistaken they have a crappy vrm or something

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yes def worth it even if you arent ocing

No bullshit tdp limits

Slight bclk ocing

Better ram ocing

Better vrms

Etc

And the price diff between a decent b560 and entry level z4/590 isnt that much so i tend to just outright ignore b560 unless if its a sub 100$ board since the entry level z series boards are much better than a decent mid range b560 board

Though avoid the crappier ultra cheap z series boards like those ultra cheap asrock phantom gaming boards, if im not mistaken they have a crappy vrm or something

Thanks for the info, I'll go for the MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Mobo and 10700k combo. Do you think my CPU cooler will be good enough for that beefier CPU or will I need to replace it with something better?

2 minutes ago, Galbo said:

Thanks for the info, I'll go for the MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Mobo and 10700k combo. Do you think my CPU cooler will be good enough for that beefier CPU or will I need to replace it with something better?

I think its fine as long as you undervolt it

Btw get a cheaper case that also has rgb and good airflow like the forge 100r, montech x1, 220t airflow, p400a, etc.

Cause that case looks like it has no airflow and that will make your pc run much much hotter than an airflow case

Also why not get the 11700(k)?

If the 11700(non k) is a similar price to the 10700k then go for that instead as you wont be ocing anyways on that cooler

15 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think its fine as long as you undervolt it

Btw get a cheaper case that also has rgb and good airflow like the forge 100r, montech x1, 220t airflow, p400a, etc.

Cause that case looks like it has no airflow and that will make your pc run much much hotter than an airflow case

Also why not get the 11700(k)?

If the 11700(non k) is a similar price to the 10700k then go for that instead as you wont be ocing anyways on that cooler

I changed case to 220T corsair, montech were out of stock for me. How much of a cost upgrade would I be looking at if I wanted a overclock ready cooler? Just curious if it would be worth it, probably won't be overclocking for ages if at all. 11700k is 60 euro more which is a bit much (the 10700k and 11700k are both cheaper than the no letter versions on amazon for some reason)

15 minutes ago, Galbo said:

I changed case to 220T corsair, montech were out of stock for me. How much of a cost upgrade would I be looking at if I wanted a overclock ready cooler? Just curious if it would be worth it, probably won't be overclocking for ages if at all. 11700k is 60 euro more which is a bit much (the 10700k and 11700k are both cheaper than the no letter versions on amazon for some reason)

Prob not

Though i do suggest undervolting for efficiency reasons

Id suggest just setting your vcore ar 1.2 or 1.25v and see whats the highest freq you can get with that, prob around 4.7ghz, once youve found your highest freq then lower it by 100mhz to ensure stability

2 hours ago, Galbo said:

It’s gonna be more like $60 because the 11700k runs hotter than the 11700f even at stock so you’ll need more cooler one more pipe would be enough for a minor overclock 2 more pipes for more.  There’s a real argument for big air at that point.  The 11700k can get by without water but only barely.  The 11700f isn’t a particularly hot chip, but the 11700k can very much be one. You’ve got enough PSU for it plus some so that bit is not a problem.  Still could be worth it though.  The 11700k is one of the highest speed single thread chips that intel sells and it’s got 16 of them. It’s not the very fastest that exists but it’s pretty close. It will have the space to crush consoles in gaming even if the build winds up a bit slow somewhere else.  Increases lifespan, allows you to get a bit more out of the memory you got and make it even faster later if/when you need to.  Will need more cooler though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s gonna be more like $60 because the 11700k runs hotter than the 11700f even at stock so you’ll need more cooler one more pipe would be enough for a minor overclock 2 more pipes for more.  There’s a real argument for big air at that point.  The 11700k can get by without water but only barely.  The 11700f isn’t a particularly hot chip, but the 11700k can very much be one. You’ve got enough PSU for it plus some so that bit is not a problem.  Still could be worth it though.  The 11700k is one of the highest speed single thread chips that intel sells and it’s got 16 of them. It’s not the very fastest that exists but it’s pretty close. It will have the space to crush consoles in gaming even if the build winds up a bit slow somewhere else.  Increases lifespan, allows you to get a bit more out of the memory you got and make it even faster later if/when you need to.  Will need more cooler though.

I did a little browsing and found a Corsair iCUE H100i PRO XT cooler (2 120MM fans) and Dark Rock Pro 4, for 20 euro cheaper than the Corsair water one. I'm a little bit nervous of water cooling leaks, even if the RBG looks sick:P. Do you know if that Dark Rock would do me fine, even when my GPU goes to 3070/3080 powerwise?  You and Somerandomtechyboi have been a great help for narrowing down my last few items, I'm willing to go a little over budget for the final pre GPU piece if it'll save me down the line