How do i transfer a SFF Mobo to a Mid Tower Case?

Constellation
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

You simply don't.

The board is completely non standard.

That hp has a couple sensors that when it's out of the case it will not function.

You need to keep using the original psu as it's proprietary and that also doesn't fit in a normal case.

So as I said not possible. Sell the computer and get something normal used.

So i have a SFF PC (HP Compaq dc7800p to be exact) that has been with me forever, and i have a mid tower case that was lying around for some time for my future plans. the real question is, can i fit that SFF motherboard in my mid tower case? i don't know it's exact size/form. i'm aware that i will have to get a whole new PSU for such thing, it's ok though. the case is the XPG Invader which i know that it has the ability to support many mobo forms. i also wanna know if i need more stuff like connectors, adapters, converters, and so on.i just need that to happen for more airflow.

Thanks so much for your time everyone. have a beautiful day!

No, that's not a standard board. It won't fit in that case. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Highly highly unlikely. Plus you'd also need to do mods to make the front panel work.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

You simply don't.

The board is completely non standard.

That hp has a couple sensors that when it's out of the case it will not function.

You need to keep using the original psu as it's proprietary and that also doesn't fit in a normal case.

So as I said not possible. Sell the computer and get something normal used.

Hi 🙂

Generally transferring motherboards from PCs like DELL, HP, LENOVO, ... into regular cases is a relative PITA, involving adapters (when available) for all proprietary connectors such as:

- PSU

- front panel (audio, USB, ...)

- power button

- fans

These boards are generally compatible with standard form factors (ATX, mATX, uATX), though

Now, from what I could see running a quick Google search. the MB on the HP Compaq dc7800p has a weird shape and is probably incompatible with standard form factors. If that's the case, the amount of work (modding) required to fit it in a different case would be ridiculous...

Best,

-a-

you can probably cut the mb tray out and mount that in a case. no aio will line up thow so you will have to use panel mount connectors, pcie extensions. reverse engineer were the power/ rest go and wire it to the case. as for the cd drive ied dich it. if it wont boot with out it might have to mount it els were and existed the cables that go to it.

but the cost of a new case, panel mount connectors, solder, tools wil most likely cost more then just selling it and get something els.

if you dont want to use panel mount connectors all cables could be passed thow a pci slot thow the cables will be shorter.

the performance ganes form better air flow wont alow to do anything more other then quiet, modding the case its in probably better imo

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links