CableMod PRO cable extensions for Corsair RMx 850W (2021)

kistomi01
Go to solution Solved by electropical,
27 minutes ago, kistomi01 said:

But if I do a full replacement then Corsair's own cables should be fine right?

The Corsair-branded "full replacement" cables come with inline capacitors.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Premium-Individually-Sleeved-PSU-Cables-Pro-Kit-Type-4-Gen-4/p/CP-8920222

539718744_inlinecaps.thumb.png.101b6cecf49258c7d72c59559e9aa4f8.png

These capacitors are pretty much useless, make cables more fragile, more difficult to handle, and add failure points.

Corsair uses them with their stock cables (= the ones that come with the PSU) to top the ripple-suppression charts in reviews (that's really just marketing, you don't need ridiculously low ripple).
And to provide equivalent ripple-suppression with their individually sleeved cables, they implement them here as well.

You are better off with CableMods cables.

I built my PC but my cable management is trash because the stock PSU cables are so stiff I can't even bend them at all. As my PSU is a Corsair one I naturally took a look at Corsair's cable options but I'm unsure if those are used to extend the the stock PSU cables or replace them.

I want to plug the stock cables into the PSU and plug the extensions to connect the mobo and the stock cables. Here's the one I plan choose.

My question is that is this safe for the PC to use? Will it work the same as it was with using only the stock PSU cables (just look better after cable management)?

Extensions go between the factory PSU cables and what ever they plug into. Motherboard, GPU etc.

You'd want Corsair Type 4 replacement cables if you're wanting to get rid of the factory cables.. https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-classic-modflex-c-series-cable-kit-for-corsair-rmi-rmx/

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Ty, so basically I thought it right - buy the Corsair ones to completely replace the stock cables and buy the extensions to place in between the stock cables and the mobo.

So my other question, are CableMod cables safe and good with the PSU I mentioned?

20 minutes ago, kistomi01 said:

Ty, so basically I thought it right - buy the Corsair ones to completely replace the stock cables and buy the extensions to place in between the stock cables and the mobo.

So my other question, are CableMod cables safe and good with the PSU I mentioned?

Corsair does sell there own replacement sleeved cable sets too. Some people will advise against sleeved extensions due to different gauge wiring used increasing resistances etc.. Its best to do a full on replacement over Extensions. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

22 minutes ago, kistomi01 said:

Yes, they are.
Avoid the Corsair-made individually sleeved cables, since like the stock cables, they come with inline capacitors.

3 minutes ago, electropical said:

Yes, they are.
Avoid the Corsair-made individually sleeved cables, since like the stock cables, they come with inline capacitors.

But if I do a full replacement then Corsair's own cables should be fine right? Also the price difference between the Corsair replacements and the CableMod extensions is negligible.

27 minutes ago, kistomi01 said:

But if I do a full replacement then Corsair's own cables should be fine right?

The Corsair-branded "full replacement" cables come with inline capacitors.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/Premium-Individually-Sleeved-PSU-Cables-Pro-Kit-Type-4-Gen-4/p/CP-8920222

539718744_inlinecaps.thumb.png.101b6cecf49258c7d72c59559e9aa4f8.png

These capacitors are pretty much useless, make cables more fragile, more difficult to handle, and add failure points.

Corsair uses them with their stock cables (= the ones that come with the PSU) to top the ripple-suppression charts in reviews (that's really just marketing, you don't need ridiculously low ripple).
And to provide equivalent ripple-suppression with their individually sleeved cables, they implement them here as well.

You are better off with CableMods cables.

I bought Cablemod replacement cables for my corsair rm850, WAY better than the corsair branded ones. Go with Cable mod and dont bother messing with extensions