Animation Grade CPUs and GPUs (Cinema4D w/Octane). Is there an 5000 varient of the AMD 3990x coming soon? How about Workstation GPUs, worth waiting?

Budget (including currency): Open (high).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cinema4D (Octane Render)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My current Cinema4D (w/Octane) work station has 128GB Ram, 2x M5000 GPUs, 1x 1080 GPU, i7 6900K and it runs poorly with my large 5GB animation files. My 64GB, 5950x, 3090 home PC runs about 9x faster than my work's workstation. 

My goal is to substantially increase my viewport speed and render times.

• I've read that I need a fast single core to optimally run Cinema4D's viewport, so I imagine the 3990x is my best option? Do they have a 5000 series coming soon? 
  • Are the workstation cards that (I imagine) come after the launch after the gaming cards (IE: My M5000s) out from after the 3090 launch? If so, is that worth upgrading to? Or is gaming grade fine?

It's been like 5 years so I apologize I'm out of the loop. My editing system at home is nice but if there is something with even more power heading down the pike in the next 6 months (before the end of the year for budgeting purposes) I'd love to know about it so I know what to look out for. This will not be used for gaming. 

Video Producer, Milwaukee Wisconsin.

I use Cinema 4D with a 16 core, 32 thread Xeon system with a turbo of 3.8 ghz, and there can be noticeable slowdowns in the viewport when rendering. So yes, single thread performance is important. And don't worry about being out of the loop, again I do all my animation on a 2012 workstation...

AMD probably does have a 5000 series coming soon, but if you're that serious about rendering get a Threadripper (unless upgrading the board is not an option, as you would need to do that).

For GPUs, will you be GPU heavy rendering or CPU heavy rendering? I would recommend 3x 3090s or 3x RTX a6000s for GPU heavy, for mainly CPU demanding all you would need is a single 3090 or a6000.

27 minutes ago, BLSmith2112 said:

Do they have a 5000 series coming soon? 

AMD Chagall is the code name. IIRC it should be November some time, or they have an update coming out in November.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

For GPUs, will you be GPU heavy rendering or CPU heavy rendering?

GPU rendering all the way. The viewport is still CPU heavy so seems like look into thread ripper and a few 3090s, makes sense. Thanks! Hopefully a new thread ripper is coming in 2021. 

9 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

AMD Chagall is the code name. IIRC it should be November some time, or they have an update coming out in November.

Oh perfect, so it might be this year, excellent, thanks! 

Video Producer, Milwaukee Wisconsin.