M1 Air wifi woes

s_k

My Macbook Air M1 has a weird issue when coming out of sleep. 
I flip it open and it's supposed to be connected, right away. But it always takes at least 20 seconds before it starts loading webpages.
I checked, it doesn't get an IP address before then. About 70% of the time it fixes itself, but the other 30% I have to turn the wifi off and on again.
It does connect to wifi though, and it's not related to the router as it happens everywhere I take the laptop with many a different brand and model of router.

Any ideas?

All I got is “ask Apple” sounds to me like some sort of software stuff.  One question is is this endemic to m1 laptops? Or is it just your implementation?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's just a question I have about my situation. Not sure why my posting would suggest anything else :D. 
I could ask apple but... well we all know neither Apple nor their users know an awful lot. Usually I just google my ass off but it's a rather specific problem and so far I haven't been able to find anyone else who had the same issue. Plenty of people whose wifi doesn't connect, but mine is connected as soon as I open the lid, I just get no IP address.

17 minutes ago, s_k said:

It's just a question I have about my situation. Not sure why my posting would suggest anything else :D. 
I could ask apple but... well we all know neither Apple nor their users know an awful lot. Usually I just google my ass off but it's a rather specific problem and so far I haven't been able to find anyone else who had the same issue. Plenty of people whose wifi doesn't connect, but mine is connected as soon as I open the lid, I just get no IP address.

No we don’t. A lot of their users perhaps though not all of them.  Calling Apple proper lacking in understanding of technical knowledge is doubtful.  Calling their “Genius Bar” people that is different.  I don’t see the Genius Bar as being manned by anyone better than your average Best Buy.  “Genius” was a stupid moniker to put on that service. It is possible that Apple won’t tell you which is slightly different, though the effect is similar to them not knowing from a consumer point of view.

The question remains: is this something common to that model or just your implementation and what you did.  If it’s a model problem there may be a workaround or there may not be, but if it’s particular to just your machine one looks at stuff you specifically did.  A difference of approach.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I'm sure Apple knows their stuff, I just find that contacting them always gives you very generic answers (reset the PRam, yadda yadda). 
I never set foot in an Apple store or Genius bar but from what I've seen they are second hand care salesmen ;). All manners, no depth.

I have no idea if it's common to the model, it's a problem I have and I can't find anyone else with this issue online. 
So I guess it's not common, and since I couldn't find any answers online I figured I'd ask here. So far I got more questions :D.