Do I have anough PCI lanes to run 3x GPU's?

samywil

Hi, I'm a VFX student looking to improve my rendering times by using what I have rather than loosing an arm and a leg to pay for a 3000 series card. I'm rather confused how PCIE lane allocations work. I'm currently running a 1080ti and 980ti and have a second 980ti I want to use once I upgrade my power supply from 750W to 1200W (which will also prep me for a 3000 series card). 

My MOB: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING

My CPU: 3900XT

M.2: None at the moment (looking to upgrade soon though)

I'm just wanting to know if it'd be a good idea to use 3x GPU's or will there be a heavy performance loss/ negligible performance increase

Thanks guys,

Sam

Yes, you do have enough PCIe lanes, that 2nd 980ti will use the 4 lanes that come from the chipset, while your 1080ti&980ti should both be using 8 lanes each from the CPU.

What software do you use for rendering? PCIe bandwidth likely won't be an issue and you should see some non-negligible perf increase, but I'd like to be sure.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

6 minutes ago, igormp said:

Yes, you do have enough PCIe lanes, that 2nd 980ti will use the 4 lanes that come from the chipset, while your 1080ti&980ti should both be using 8 lanes each from the CPU.

What software do you use for rendering? PCIe bandwidth likely won't be an issue and you should see some non-negligible perf increase, but I'd like to be sure.

Ah that's good news, with all 3 if everything goes well the octane bench should equate to just below the score of a single 3080 card which I'm happy with

I use Houdini as my main DCC and Redshift and my renderer - and occasionally renderman if I hit a GPU memory bottleneck

12 minutes ago, samywil said:

Ah that's good news, with all 3 if everything goes well the octane bench should equate to just below the score of a single 3080 card which I'm happy with

Even a bit higher! It's funny how there's a score with that exact config that you're planning haha

image.png.e1e085338484cf735807dabc096a61c1.png

13 minutes ago, samywil said:

I use Houdini as my main DCC and Redshift and my renderer - and occasionally renderman if I hit a GPU memory bottleneck

Redshift will likely see improvements, so I'd go for it

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I'll have to give it a test as i have a spare 750w power supply in my old rig - will have to move everything into the bigger case first the wire the 2x 980ti into the second PSU for the test